PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gift for 11 Year Old Girl

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ageless
12-09-2010, 07:49 PM
My rink is participating in the Salvation Army's Angel Tree program again this year. For some reason, none of the tags this year provided any gift suggestions, sizes, etc. The tag I have is for an 11-year old girl. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's big (at a reasonable price) for that age group right now?

IceAlisa
12-09-2010, 07:58 PM
iTunes gift cards are big, according to my 11-year old niece.

Habs
12-09-2010, 08:02 PM
When I was 11, the best gift in the world to me was a book!

How about a board game or an art/craft kit?

taf2002
12-09-2010, 08:19 PM
My local Salvation Army volunteers told me that most of their angels are in shelters or in low-cost housing. So an iTunes card would be useless to kids without a MP3 player or a computer. Also any device needing batteries (unless they recharge by plugging them into electricity & not a computer). Luckily my angels had a "needs" section & a "wants" section on their tags.

Garden Kitty
12-09-2010, 08:19 PM
When my niece was that age, she really liked the craft kits and about 1/2 the books I picked out for her. A big stuffed toy/pillow combination can also be fun (search on amazon for stuffed toy pillow to see what I mean). I tunes gift certificates are big with her now, but you'd need to know that the donee has an ipod.

millyskate
12-09-2010, 08:28 PM
You don't know if she has an mp3, so maybe an itunes gift card is a bit risky.
ETA: you've just pointed that out.

When it came to presents from strangers, I used to enjoy beauty products. I remember liking a gift bag from bodyshop my cousin gave me, with some shower stuff, lip balms and moisturisers. I also liked nice stationery.

znachki
12-09-2010, 08:31 PM
As others have said, books and craft kits - especially if they are the kind where you can make friendship bracelets or such. Inexpensive jewelry (bracelets) from someplace like Claire's perhaps? I noticed the other day that they had those flavored lip smacker type things still, and they aren't colored so some of those. Perhaps a diary? Since they didn't give you any guidence as to what, you could do a whole "kit" kind of thing. Probably anything Twilight, Harry Potter, Glee or Bieber related

millyskate
12-09-2010, 08:33 PM
The problem with books is that you never know what they already have. I was a big reader and often disappointed when I got a book because unless it came from my parent's, I had nearly always read it already.

LuckyCharm
12-09-2010, 08:35 PM
You don't know if she has an mp3, so maybe an itunes gift card is a bit risky.
ETA: you've just pointed that out.

When it came to presents from strangers, I used to enjoy beauty products. I remember liking a gift bag from bodyshop my cousin gave me, with some shower stuff, lip balms and moisturisers. I also liked nice stationery.

Girls that age tend to really love those body care sets. They feel like their getting something really "grown-up." This time of year, you can find some pretty nice ones for $20 or less. They're also one size fits all, and it doesn't matter whether or not they already own something like it. You can never have too much lotion and soap. I would pick a fragrance that's not too strong though.

IceAlisa
12-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Sorry, I totally missed the part that this is a Salvation Army Angel. In that case, I second (or third) a skin care set: http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/sale-gifts?cm_re=Tyra_HolidayPh3-_-Navigation-_-Specials-____Off_Gifts

Auntie
12-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Klutz books. Craft books and other kid friendly stuff with supplies included. Most big stores have them. There are books for nail art, beads, fairies, hair wraps, friendship bracelets, paper flowers, etc.

http://www.klutz.com/kid/crafts?lt=Klutz/ib//acq/Klutz_topnav_kid_crafts///nav/txtl////

skatemommy
12-10-2010, 12:01 AM
I have a tweener. Any gift card from Justice, Aeropostale or Hollister (more pricey in my opinion) are the birthday gift items most coveted. At that age they all love Bath & Body Works stuff. In these parts, Abercrombie is nicknamed AberCRUMMY. Let us know what you decide!

mag
12-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Klutz books. Craft books and other kid friendly stuff with supplies included. Most big stores have them. There are books for nail art, beads, fairies, hair wraps, friendship bracelets, paper flowers, etc.

http://www.klutz.com/kid/crafts?lt=Klutz/ib//acq/Klutz_topnav_kid_crafts///nav/txtl////

My two girls love the Klutz fashion books. There are templates for different sorts of mix and match outfits and tonnes of paper with cool designs. I have yet to meet an 11 year old who doesn't love them.

Stormy
12-10-2010, 12:30 AM
I have a tweener. Any gift card from Justice, Aeropostale or Hollister (more pricey in my opinion) are the birthday gift items most coveted. At that age they all love Bath & Body Works stuff. In these parts, Abercrombie is nicknamed AberCRUMMY. Let us know what you decide!

Funny that they don't like Abercrombie but like Hollister. It's the same exact store! Literally, only Hollister has the seagull and Abercrombie the moose.

But yes, I'd also say Bath and Body Works items and the Klutz books (I have the knitting and crochet ones and love them).

skatemommy
12-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Funny that they don't like Abercrombie but like Hollister. It's the same exact store! Literally, only Hollister has the seagull and Abercrombie the moose.

But yes, I'd also say Bath and Body Works items and the Klutz books (I have the knitting and crochet ones and love them).

There must be a difference as even Wall Street Journal is reporting that Aber is struggling as a company.

ps when DD was 11 and sort of outgrowing crafts, she loved "Create-A-Clings" also from Klutz I think. It is a craft kit to make the gel-like window clings with molds. She had several afternoons of fun with that which was great to see on a rainy couple of days. And she gave her grandma some for her slider so that the birds from her feeder wouldn't run into the empty glass. It made her feel like she made a difference in the lives of the wild birds. (and nana for not having to find dead birds)