PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gift for 11 Year Old Girl

Pages : 1 2 [3]

rudi
12-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions. I ended up getting her the Klutz book on making Friendship bracelets along with a pink scarf, headband and glove set. Hopefully she will like them.

Sounds good! I think she will like them.

cruisin
12-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Don't forget to let us know how much she loves her gift! :)

Ageless
12-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Unfortunately I'll never know how the gifts go over. We turn them in and the local agency (Salvation Army, I think in this case) distributes them. We aren't present. All I can do is hope she likes them.

barbk
12-20-2010, 02:35 AM
I'm sure she'll like them a lot; you chose with a lot of care.

taf2002
12-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions. I ended up getting her the Klutz book on making Friendship bracelets along with a pink scarf, headband and glove set. Hopefully she will like them.

You did great. I'm glad you didn't get a gift card. When I got my Salvation Army angel they told me no money or gift cards. And the gift receipts that I put in the bag were marked with the Salvation Army stamp so the stores would know not to refund money, just make the kids exchange the gift. I think they are afraid the parents may end up with money/gift cards.

cruisin
12-20-2010, 02:55 PM
You did great. I'm glad you didn't get a gift card. When I got my Salvation Army angel they told me no money or gift cards. And the gift receipts that I put in the bag were marked with the Salvation Army stamp so the stores would know not to refund money, just make the kids exchange the gift. I think they are afraid the parents may end up with money/gift cards.

Sadly, they are probably right. Good thinking ahead, on the Salvation Army's part.

skatemommy
12-20-2010, 09:00 PM
A side note in a gift giving thread...I had a fleece robe and fleece pajamas given to me by well meaning Mom & MIL. I went over to the local nursing home and asked if someone could use them (brand new w/tags). The staff were so thankful and said they were going to wrap them up for a resident who doesn't have any family in the area. :wuzrobbed on the way out thinking that my unwanted things will be the only gift a dear elderly lady gets on Christmas. (My dad was there for rehab and they took good care of him).

Twilight1
12-20-2010, 09:07 PM
skatemommy- there is a long term care nursing home just up the road from us and I have been talking to my husband about bringing the boys up there xmas morning for a bit depending on how things are for my dad. No one should be alone on xmas (who doesn't want to be)

Allen
12-20-2010, 10:44 PM
We always do angel tree and I look for the kids who ask for clothing because I figure they really need it if they ask for clothes instead of toys. I always :rolleyes: at the ones that ask for iPods, iPads, cell phones, etc. This year we had an 10 year old girl. So we went to Gap Kids and Abercrombie Kids. Both stores gave us their employ discount plus some coupons, so we made out with a ton of clothes. I always worry that the people at the Salvation Army will split up my gifts. I wish there was some way to know if the kids like what we get them. Last year, we saw a boy wearing the same sweater we bought for our angel tree kid and wondered if it was him, but of course there's no way to know.

skatemommy
12-20-2010, 11:18 PM
^ I think we will know one day. Jesus said, "as you have done for the least of these, surely you have done for me".

mmscfdcsu
12-21-2010, 12:35 AM
A side note in a gift giving thread...I had a fleece robe and fleece pajamas given to me by well meaning Mom & MIL. I went over to the local nursing home and asked if someone could use them (brand new w/tags). The staff were so thankful and said they were going to wrap them up for a resident who doesn't have any family in the area. :wuzrobbed on the way out thinking that my unwanted things will be the only gift a dear elderly lady gets on Christmas. (My dad was there for rehab and they took good care of him).

Bless you! Adults need gifts too, but since they aren't cute or adorable nobody wants to give to them. I stopped on the way home from work and blew another $30.00 on Christmas prep for my group members. By the time this holiday is over I will have spent over $300.00 on them in addition to the money I spend on group supplies every week. It is so worth it though.

skatemommy
12-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Bless you! Adults need gifts too, but since they aren't cute or adorable nobody wants to give to them. I stopped on the way home from work and blew another $30.00 on Christmas prep for my group members. By the time this holiday is over I will have spent over $300.00 on them in addition to the money I spend on group supplies every week. It is so worth it though.

I know the workers there don't make much. It is a fundamentally Medicaid/Medicare facility. The staffer said, "Oh my, these are so beautiful, I'm going to let our activities director know about them". But I can imagine every staff wants the clients to be happy and spends their own money on the residents. Salavation Army, Goodwill, thrift stores are so "high end" anymore that there really isn't a lot of bargains there anymore. So yes encouraging FSU to make a senior holiday bright and blessing those that have donated to Salavation Army Tree, Samaritan's Purse, etc.

mmscfdcsu
12-21-2010, 12:59 AM
I know the workers there don't make much. It is a fundamentally Medicaid/Medicare facility. The staffer said, "Oh my, these are so beautiful, I'm going to let our activities director know about them". But I can imagine every staff wants the clients to be happy and spends their own money on the residents. Salavation Army, Goodwill, thrift stores are so "high end" anymore that there really isn't a lot of bargains there anymore. So yes encouraging FSU to make a senior holiday bright and blessing those that have donated to Salavation Army Tree, Samaritan's Purse, etc.

We try to do many of the little things, since we can't afford the big things. We take special pictures of each client and present them to client and family. We know it means a lot. Many of our clients have no pictures of themselves. A couple of families have ended up using our pictures in the client's obit!

All I want for me is decent weather on Christmas Eve. I really want to make it to church.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=vytwnjdab&v=001qcrdJaeP7TYQQLjJJzS5BT0IK01QX1tdr-MG3HGoKmCj7rRtHXbnqEU20PUpojG4bUYKq9ZOhg7yiUDklw-gRQ1EVlSPiv1CowilMZ8_EEY%3D