PDA

View Full Version : 30th Anniversary of John Lennon's Murder

Pages : [1] 2

olympic
12-08-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/07/AR2010120702440.html?hpid=artslot

I can still remember. I was in 6th grade in 1980 when I heard the news for the first time :(

I loved the man's moxie in interviews. He always took people to task

soxxy
12-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I was somewhat older and living on the UWS of Manhattan, not far from the Dakota. I remember hearing sirens, ambulances, police vehicles, etc., and wondered what the heck was going on.

Jayar
12-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Wrong thread.

missflick
12-08-2010, 03:55 PM
I was almost 13 at the the time. Here was the conversation between me and my father, as I watched the evening news:

Me: "Dad, who was John Lennon?"
Dad: He was a member of The Beatles.

(Pause)

Me: "Dad, who were The Beatles?"

(And yet, I knew who Paul McCartney and Wings were).

skatingfan5
12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Ada lives 30 minutes from me. Must go stalk her to see how much she has lost...:confused: I'm assuming this post was meant for some other thread.

I remember hearing the news late at night and being in total shock and disbelief that one of the Beatles was dead. I also remember hearing several songs from the just released Double Fantasy album playing endlessly on the radio.

Last night on Nightline, they played clips from his last interview -- just three days before his murder. Very, very sad. :(

ETA: missflick, you would have known who John Lennon was if he hadn't essentially removed himself from the music scene for five years to be a "house husband" and stay-at-home dad to his son Sean. He was just re-entering the music world when he was killed.

CynicElle
12-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I was a childhood Beatlemaniac because my older sisters left most of their Beatles records behind with my dad when they moved out, so John's death broke my heart even though I was only 11 at the time. I thought I must have misheard the radio announcer -- who on earth would gun down John Lennon?

Patsy
12-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Thank you for this memorial notice.

Gypsy
12-08-2010, 04:33 PM
My sister and I had been working late and were driving home. They played Imagine on the radio and then annouced it was by the "Late" John Lennon. We were in such shock.

We sat up the rest of the night listening to Beatles music.

Maximillian
12-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I remember waking up and hearing the news on my clock radio. I was six years old.

kedrin
12-08-2010, 06:44 PM
makes me sadder every year.

Finnice
12-08-2010, 07:46 PM
I was sixteen and shocked, when I saw it from the news. Even though I was not really from the Beatles generation, he was something to appreciate.

Today, my younger son, 16, wearing his Beatles hooded jacket reminded me which day it is. The music of Lennon lives forward with the younger generations.

I have already sung Imagine and Happy Xmas (War is over) to remeber his great work. Younger little Finnice played the bass.

(And will next seek JWe`s 2004 exh of Imagine from YouTube).

John Lennon:respec: peace and love

Rob
12-08-2010, 09:09 PM
I was in Paris on vacation. It was sort of surreal because I had just seen him in the store where I worked a week before, and I had been listening to Double Fantasy a lot because I got it the day it came out. It was first reported that he had been shot in a random NY shooting, then it came through the next day that he was the target.

Civic
12-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I was a senior in college, studying for finals when I heard the news. IIRC, Lennon's murder was one of the first in which a celebrity was killed by someone with whom he had no connection in real life.

JasperBoy
12-08-2010, 10:29 PM
A sad day to remember.

Marilou
12-08-2010, 11:06 PM
I was sixteen and shocked, when I saw it from the news. Even though I was not really from the Beatles generation, he was something to appreciate.

Today, my younger son, 16, wearing his Beatles hooded jacket reminded me which day it is. The music of Lennon lives forward with the younger generations.

I have already sung Imagine and Happy Xmas (War is over) to remeber his great work. Younger little Finnice played the bass.

(And will next seek JWe`s 2004 exh of Imagine from YouTube).

John Lennon:respec: peace and love

I was 19. I was a huge Beatle fan for as long as I can remember - and longer according to my mother. And when my own children know almost every word, guitar lick and drum beat to every Beatle song ever written/recorded - I think of the legacy. It is in indeed a sad day.