PDA

View Full Version : Who is the male version of Miki Ando?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

RumbleFish
12-09-2010, 07:03 AM
She's done a 3lutz/3loop and 3toe/3toe back in 2004..

Thanks for a quick reply.
Do you have a video link of this? I'd be interested in finding out if her jumps were rotated enough for today’s standards.
I'd also appreciate it if you let me know which event this took place.

judgejudy27
12-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Miki's jumps are just ok? Who else is better jumper than Miki?

In terms of current ability, Yu Na Kim for sure. Possibly even Rochette. And last year Asada. Miki doesnt even do 3-3 combos anymore, atleast ones that are ratified.

wonderlen
12-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks for a quick reply.
Do you have a video link of this? I'd be interested in finding out if her jumps were rotated enough for today’s standards.
I'd also appreciate it if you let me know which event this took place.

Watch the 2004 world long program. She did 3Lz+3Lo and 3T+3Lo or (3T+3T) cant remember.

MikiAndoFan#1
12-09-2010, 03:36 PM
3T+3Lo or (3T+3T) cant remember.

It was a 3T+3T. :)

ks777
12-09-2010, 04:17 PM
In terms of current ability, Yu Na Kim for sure. Possibly even Rochette. And last year Asada. Miki doesnt even do 3-3 combos anymore, atleast ones that are ratified.

Well, Mao didn't even do a lutz nor salcow last season. At least Miki has done 5 different triples. Plus Miki's techiniques are much better than Mao.

blue_idealist
12-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Chengjiang Li maybe..

I voted Joubert though.

pinky166
12-10-2010, 12:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5AXUCkWvt8&feature=related

Miki does 3t-3lo here

Indra486
12-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Be more specific, please.
I don't remeber watching any lady do a two diffferent sets of triple-triples in a program, not since inception of IJS at least.

Then you weren't paying close enough attention.

Shizuka Arakawa and Kimmie Meissner both did 3-3s. Say what you want about theirs being underrotated but at the point and time they competed them, theirs were considered acceptable; with Meissner's under the IJS.

Extranjera
12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I’m not challenging the fact Miki is (and was) a great jumper but I think there is a difference between her and Brian: Joubert was winning because he was the best jumper. Miki won her world title not only because she was ONE of the strongest jumper, but also (and mostly) because her rivals made serious mistakes.

And yes- I think both: Kim and Asada were better jumpers than Ando. Asada could do more difficult jumps and usually her GOE was similar to Ando’s ( she was doing flutz instead of lutz but accoriding to current rules it wasn’t so important), Yuna wasn’t doing 3 loop , but she had two combinations with 3 toe and she was getting the highest GOE for jumps among all ladies.

And I always have an impression they both have better landing positions than Miki: She always lands her jumps with a bit too low back and because of that they don’t look smooth to me.

Moreover Miki is better artist than Brian (maybe not perfect but better) - that’s why I don’t think he’s her “male version”. She’s a specific skater and I know that not everyone likes her (I’m not numbered among fans of her style either) but still I’m far from saying she’s a “terrible skater” or things like that.

And I don’t think she’s too thin- She looks ok to me.

judgejudy27
12-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Well, Mao didn't even do a lutz nor salcow last season. At least Miki has done 5 different triples. Plus Miki's techiniques are much better than Mao.

4 different triples but ability to do 3 triple axels in one competition >> having the standard 5 womens triples but not doing any triple-triples (that get ratified)

Extranjera
12-10-2010, 12:20 PM
4 different triples but ability to do 3 triple axels in one competition >> having the standard 5 womens triples but not doing any triple-triples (that get ratified)

ITA. Michelle Kwan also could land 5 kinds of triples and even triple-triple combination but I don't think someone considers her to be one of the strongest jumper.

judgejudy27
12-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Atleast in 2007 there could be an argument for Miki being the best jumper but it is only an argument. As it is I am pretty sure Kim and Asada on a good day collected more points on jumps than she did. A good comparision would be the short program were Ando regularly ended up below Kim and Asada if all skated cleanly. And I think breaking down the protocals they both gained more points on jumps than her most times (despite Kim doing an easier triple-triple combo). Either way she was never hands down the best jumper like Joubert. And unlike Joubert, Ando atleast made an attempt to improve other areas of her skating over the years. So I agree they are different skaters.

Now it would be even be more unlikely since unlike 2007 she isnt doing any of the hard triple combinations she did then, especialy the triple lutz-triple loop. If she is it would only be because everything who matters is missing now.

smarts1
12-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Yuna can only jump with her toes. Her edge jumps are :blah:. Miki's really the only female out there who knows how to jump with edges and with toes.

Mao has odd technique on many of her jumps (which is why she's trying to fix them), and Rochette probably comes closest to Miki in term of jumps.

judgejudy27
12-10-2010, 03:30 PM
What matters is how you collect points. Kim and a good Asada collect more points on their jumps than either Ando or Rochette, thus their jumps are "better" in a competitive sense. Kristi could only do toe jumps as well and she was still a better jumper than Kerrigan or Bonaly who could do all kinds of jumps.

Squibble
12-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Samuel Contesti. He sleeps with his coach. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Contesti