PDA

View Full Version : Who is the male version of Miki Ando?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

ice9
12-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Other. She reminds me of Johnny Weir in the last couple of years. Empty Choreography, lackluster skating, and solid jumps.

And Johnny used to be interesting in the good old days... :drama:

Extranjera
12-08-2010, 07:31 PM
In 2007 she was a great jumper, but she wasn't better than Yuna & Mao meanwhile Brian's jumps were the best among all men.

Hmm... 2007 WC wasn't a good example because his FS wasn't even first, but he proved with his FS from CoC that he's the best jumper.

pinky166
12-08-2010, 07:35 PM
In 2007 she was a great jumper, but she wasn't better than Yuna & Mao meanwhile Brian's jumps were the best among all men.

True. But in 2007 we had some of the strongest ladies jumpers ever competing at Worlds, Yuna, Mao and Miki are all exceptional in the jumping department - or were in 2007.

pinky166
12-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Other. She reminds me of Johnny Weir in the last couple of years. Empty Choreography, lackluster skating, and solid jumps.

And Johnny used to be interesting in the good old days... :drama:

I thought Johnny's programs last season were interesting and beautiful.

Extranjera
12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
True. But in 2007 we had some of the strongest ladies jumpers ever competing at Worlds, Yuna, Mao and Miki are all exceptional in the jumping department - or were in 2007.

you're right pinky, you're right ;)

MikiAndoFan#1
12-08-2010, 07:57 PM
She may not be anymore now that she's almost scary thin

:blah: You always have to bring Miki's weight up. Why don't you talk about Christina Gao's weight instead? :rolleyes: She's the one who needs to eat.

pinky166
12-08-2010, 08:27 PM
:blah: You always have to bring Miki's weight up. Why don't you talk about Christina Gao's weight instead? :rolleyes: She's the one who needs to eat.

Some people are naturally thin, and some are not. Mao and Yuna (and Christina Gao) are really thin but have always been really thin. Miki used to be much sturdier with a womanly build, and now she's a stick. She wasn't fat before, that was just the way she was built, but now just looking at her face with those sunken in cheeks you can tell that she isn't meant to be so thin. She was also a better jumper before she lost weight. She looks so gaunt now.

Christina Gao is also 16 and just went through a huge growth spurt (9 cm according to her ISU bio), so it's expected she'd be a little gangly.

MikiAndoFan#1
12-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Some people are naturally thin, and some are not. Mao and Yuna (and Christina Gao) are really thin but have always been really thin. Miki used to be much sturdier with a womanly build, and now she's a stick. She wasn't fat before, that was just the way she was built, but now just looking at her face with those sunken in cheeks you can tell that she isn't meant to be so thin. She was also a better jumper before she lost weight. She looks so gaunt now.

Christina Gao is also 16 and just went through a huge growth spurt (9 cm according to her ISU bio), so it's expected she'd be a little gangly.

Miki's cheeks have always been like that. Sure, Miki has lost some weight in the last few years, but I think it's normal, especially for an athlete. Miki is not "almost scary thin", in my opinion.

As for Christina, well, I think she could use some extra pounds, especially for someone who is still developing.

pinky166
12-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Hmm well back on topic, I thought of another comparable male skater, Ryan Bradley. Except Miki isn't as funny.

kia_4EverOnIce
12-08-2010, 09:55 PM
I voted Joubert, though he has also better footwork sequences IMO.

As for the weight, I don't think she has lost so much in the last years, I think she has also grown in height, and I don't see her so "scary thin".

NMURA
12-09-2010, 01:44 AM
I don't think Joubert is the male version of Ando. When Joubert won his world title in 2007 no one could catch up with his jumps. Miki's jumps are OK, but compared to other female skaters she's not a superb jumper.

Ando in 2006-2007 was definitely one of the strongest jumper. Perhaps, Ito , Slutskaya and Asada of their peaks can match. She landed the 4S in worlds official practices (which the TC warranted good enough to be ratified). You can't compare with someone who even can't do a solo 3loop.

ks777
12-09-2010, 06:20 AM
Hmm well back on topic, I thought of another comparable male skater, Ryan Bradley. Except Miki isn't as funny.

you are way off. not even close.

ks777
12-09-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't think Joubert is the male version of Ando. When Joubert won his world title in 2007 no one could catch up with his jumps. Miki's jumps are OK, but compared to other female skaters she's not a superb jumper.

Miki's jumps are just ok? Who else is better jumper than Miki? Miki's one of the very few lady that does all 5 different triples. Her jumps are big and she has no weird technique on any jumps. She is also one of the few ladies who landed two sets of different 3/3s in a program.

RumbleFish
12-09-2010, 06:32 AM
She is also one of the few ladies who landed two sets of different 3/3s in a program.

Be more specific, please.
I don't remeber watching any lady do a two diffferent sets of triple-triples in a program, not since inception of IJS at least.

ks777
12-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Be more specific, please.
I don't remeber watching any lady do a two diffferent sets of triple-triples in a program, not since inception of IJS at least.

She's done a 3lutz/3loop and 3toe/3toe back in 2004..