PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir's Withdrawal at 03 Nationals

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheIronLady
12-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Did Johnny Weir have a real injury from hitting the boards at 2003 Nationals? Does he still claim this today? Or does he admit he withdrew because his performance went so abysmally and he was so mentally rattled?

mmscfdcsu
12-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Did Johnny Weir have a real injury from hitting the boards at 2003 Nationals? Does he still claim this today? Or does he admit he withdrew because his performance went so abysmally and he was so mentally rattled?

Did you see the horrible fall on the triple axel? How could you skate after pretty mych falling from the speed of the jump into the splits on the ice? :confused: Did you see the way the leg was twisted?

purple skates
12-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Does it really matter?

Wyliefan
12-07-2010, 03:45 AM
I have a feeling that this is "Skating with the Stars"-related.

psycho
12-07-2010, 03:54 AM
The injury was real. Any more questions?

BigB08822
12-07-2010, 03:58 AM
How can you know from the video whether he was really hurt or not? That's impossible so it is unfair to assume he was faking it. I was in Dallas and I remember thinking it looked like he was really hurt.

PUNKPRINCESS
12-07-2010, 04:10 AM

TheIronLady
12-07-2010, 10:14 AM
It looked to me like he was mentally disoriented by the board crash and completely lost his confidence. He was only 18, and I think he wasn't a mature competitor yet. I don't pretend to know at all. I just wondered if anyone knew what Johnny says today. What did he say about it in Pop Star on Ice/BGJW?

reese
12-07-2010, 10:23 AM

I'm sure he broke his leg in 2 or 3 places, otherwise he'd definitely have been back out there. You have to skate through anything! Illness and injury are no excuse! I don't care if you are puking during crossovers, you get out there and skate! No excuses! Johnny is not a skater who ever makes excuses for himself or his results.

Carolla5501
12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Johnny just put himself back in play for the Disaster in Dallas. His IDIOTIC remarks on his "show" last night. According to him there's NO EXCUSE and you should perform no MATTER WHAT! So he has NO excuse for Dallas!!! LOL!

According to Weir you skate against medical advice so... what's his excuse?

So yes, now it "matters" but it's HIS fault that it's back on this board.

doubleflutz
12-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Hitting the boards is not why he withdrew. He restarted the program after crashing into the boards and went through it just fine in full attack mode, landed a few jumps, then pretty much ripped himself apart on his solo triple axel. "LOLOLOLOL he crashed into the boards and then withdrew with a fake injury because he was too scared to keep skating, what a loser" is not what happened at all.

judiz
12-07-2010, 12:40 PM
If I remember correctly, Johnny said in PSOI that he felt humiliated and is now sorry he didn't attempt to finish the program even with the knee injury.

sus2850
12-07-2010, 01:50 PM
del.

sk9tingfan
12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Johnny just put himself back in play for the Disaster in Dallas. His IDIOTIC remarks on his "show" last night. According to him there's NO EXCUSE and you should perform no MATTER WHAT! So he has NO excuse for Dallas!!! LOL!

According to Weir you skate against medical advice so... what's his excuse?

So yes, now it "matters" but it's HIS fault that it's back on this board.

Well, let's just put this into context. Johnny was 18 years old at the time and is now quite a bit wiser. In fact, based on what I saw at NHK last year with his sinus infection, as a trained medical professional, I didn't think that it was smart for him to compete. He was running a temp of at least 102 before the SP and was so congested, his face was swollen and I'm sure his equilibrium was significantly affected. But, compete he did.

briancoogaert
12-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Well, I don't care. COnsidering the awful fall he had, I don't have any problem with his withdrawal.