PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Recipes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Angelskates
12-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Does anyone have any Christmas recipes they'd like to share?

Particularly looking for vegetarian, snack, and slow cooker recipes, but meat and others would be used too. Healthy is good!

Also, any apple cider recipes? I've got one in the slow cooker as I type, but it's a fake one (apple juice, whole cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon sticks). Any other drinks?

BigB08822
12-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Good thread! We are hosting our Christmas party this weekend. Maybe I can get something nice off of here. I have nothing to offer, sorry, lol

dbell1
12-07-2010, 01:43 AM
Not sure how healthy it is, but I love this crockpot stuffing... http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/slow-cooker-stuffing-2/Detail.aspx You can use veggie broth instead of chicken broth to make it totally vegetarian. Oh, and I omitted the eggs, they seemed odd to add to stuffing. :lol:

My favorite recipe in a crockpot is actually ribs - I have a fall off the bone recipe that's absolutely :swoon: I use the cheapest cut of ribs and they're better than you can get in a restaurant.

Angelskates
12-07-2010, 03:15 AM
My favorite recipe in a crockpot is actually ribs - I have a fall off the bone recipe that's absolutely :swoon: I use the cheapest cut of ribs and they're better than you can get in a restaurant.

Can you post it? I've never actually eaten ribs.

Angelskates
12-08-2010, 03:02 AM
Slow-roasted turkey with zucchini, lemon and wild rice seasoning (http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=787715)

missflick
12-08-2010, 04:28 AM
Good thread! We are hosting our Christmas party this weekend. Maybe I can get something nice off of here. I have nothing to offer, sorry, lol

If you want a quick appetizer:
http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/cucumber-roulades-107613.aspx

peibeck
12-08-2010, 05:05 AM
I love this recipe for special occasions and it is so easy!

2 pounds (910 grams) fresh shrimp (12-15 shrimp per pound)
1 tablespoon (15 ml) good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 F. degrees (200-205 c.)
Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place on a large sheet pan and coat with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
Roast for 8 to 10 minutes (usually less is better) until shrimp are pink and firm to the touch.

Serve with your favorite cocktail or dipping sauce.

Gypsy
12-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I have a great punch recipe:

1 - 2.1 Quart (2 Liter) Bottle of Ginger Ale
1 - 2.1 Quart (2 Liter) Bottle of Lemon Sour
1 - 2.1 Quart (2 Liter) Bottle of Charged (Sparkling) Water (NOT TONIC WATER)
2 pints Orange Sherbert
2 pints Pinneaple Sherbert

Make sure the bottles of Ginger Ale, Lemon Sour & Charged Water are very cold. Pour into a punch bowl, then spoon the sherbert on top. I then use the scoop to pour the liquid over the sherbert.

It gets very foamy, but that settles down quickly.

This is a very pretty & refreshing punch.

And for adult parties, you can an a pint of vodka. (or more if you like:summer:)

Aimless
12-08-2010, 04:42 PM
This is the best little hors d'oeuvre I've ever had. Mouth waters thinking of it.

Brett's Heavenly Little Tarts
Put an 11 ounce log of plain goat cheese in food processor along with 3 heaping tablespoons of good mango chutney. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides once to fully incorporate the chutney. Then taste and add a judicious additional amount of chutney if needed to achieve a balanced flavor, with neither ingredient dominating. Good, isn't it?

Melt a tablespoon of butter in a small pan and add half a cup of pecans, broken into large pieces with your fingers. Toast the pecans in the butter, watching so that it doesn't scorch, then add half a teaspoon of salt and two teaspoons of sugar or honey. Continue toasting until mixture is golden brown and looks and smells good and everything is incorporated.

Phyllo cups are available in frozen foods section of grocery store, under Greek-themed brand names. Sixteen or so in a package? Put them on a small baking sheet and fill each about half way with the goat-mango mixture. Top with pecans.

Place in 350 degree oven for about ten minutes, just to mellow and warm them up. Serve warm or at room temp. This recipe will make about 32. You could bring the cheese mixture and pecans separately in containers, along with the phyllo cups and assemble these on site at a party.

You may have some left over goat-mango mixture. Here's a good thing to do with it. Saute boneless chicken breasts in mixture of butter and olive oil, say five minutes on each side, and get them nicely browned. Then transfer to a broiler pan, smear the top with the goat-mango mixture and run under the broiler, watching carefully, to brown the mixture and finish cooking.

AliasJohnDoe
12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Easy no-bake cookies: Oatmeal chocolate peanutbutter.

Boil for 2 mins:
2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 lb. butter, dash of salt.

In a bowl, pour boiled liquid mixture over below ingredients and mix well.
3 cups oatmeal
3 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter

Spoon a preferred cookie size onto wax paper and cool completely.

Of all the cookies I make for X-Mas, the kids(nieces and nephs) have these gone before anything else.

Wyliefan
12-08-2010, 04:57 PM
You may have some left over goat-mango mixture.

I'm adding that to my list of Things I Never Thought I Would Hear Anyone Say. ;) :D

Artemis@BC
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Here's a favourite of mine -- so simple, but so effective.

Holiday Pinwheels (aka Grinch Rolls)

1 pkg (170 g) dried cranberries
1 tub (250 g) spreadable cream cheese, room temp.
1 cup (250 g) crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions
4 large tortillas (pref. spinach/green)

Combine all ingredients except tortilllas, mix well. Divide and spread mixture evenly among tortillas. Roll up tightly, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least one hour. Or freeze. To serve, cut into 12 slices.

Notes: original recipe called for Craisins but I prefer the unsweetened dried cranberries. I also usually reduce the feta to about 2/3 cup, as I find it very salty.

These are quite rich, so a few with some salad or soup makes a good lunch. And of course they're great party appetiezers.

Recipe originally from Ocean Spray.

-------

Do you want any vegetarian entree recipes? The two ones I make every Christmas are vegetarian tourtière (a "meat" pie) and tofurkey.

Artemis@BC
12-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm adding that to my list of Things I Never Thought I Would Hear Anyone Say. ;) :D

But it's goat cheese. Big difference! :D

Rex
12-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Can you post it? I've never actually eaten ribs.

There are dozens and dozens of slow-cooked ribs recipes on the internet. Almost too many.

taf2002
12-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Hot Holiday punch (made in a perculator) you can double or triple if you have a large urn

For every 10 cups of hot punch:

5 cups Cranberry juice
5 cups pineapple juice

Put in the well of the perculator

Put the following in the perculator basket:

1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 or 3 thin lemon slices with 1-2 whole cloves inserted into the rinds

Perk as you would coffee