PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Recipes

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Rex
12-12-2010, 05:25 AM
Thursday night the officers made Christmas fudge and truffles for the command. The captain has her own recipes and she made dark chocolate, peanut butter chocolate and white chocolate peanut butter swirl....my diet has gone the way of my virginity, I'm afraid....

Cupid
12-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Well, I found the recipe for the sweet rolls that Mom used to make. It's not perfectly clear, but I remember her breaking the dough into little balls and putting three for each roll pressing lightly together to form sort of a clover shape. They were very good!

1/2 c milk
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 c margarine or shortening
1/2 c warm water for 2 pkg dry yeast
2 eggs, beaten
5 c flour

Scald milk, stir in sugar, salt, and shortening. Let it cool. Dissolve yeast with 1/2 c. warm water (don't know the temp) into large bowl. Add milk mixture to the yeast mixture. Add beaten eggs and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Add the rest of the flour gradually. After all mixed, knead about 8-10 minutes. Let rise for 2 hours. Shape into the 3 balls for each roll. Then bake into 375 degrees.

taf2002
12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Eggnog Cheesecake
Ingredients
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted

3 8oz packages of cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup eggnog
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of rum extract
1 pinch of ground nutmeg

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 Degrees F.
In a small bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar & butter. Press into bottom of pie pan. Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, cool.
In a large bowl beat cream cheese, sugar & flour until smooth. Add eggs. Then gradually stir in eggnog, extract & nutmeg. Pour mixture into cooled crust.
Place pie into larger baking pan & add 1 inch water to larger pan.
Bake at 325 degrees F. for 45-50 minutes or until center is set & top appears dull.
Remove pan from water bath and cool for 10 minutes before refrigerating overnight before serving.

Prancer
12-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Another punch recipe:

Spiced Cider Punch

1 cup sugar
2 quarts apple cider or juice, divided
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 can (12 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 quart ginger ale, chilled

Directions
In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, 1 cup cider, cinnamon and allspice. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; add orange juice concentrate and remaining cider. Cool. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

Just before serving, transfer to a punch bowl; stir in ginger ale. Yield: 13 servings (about 3 quarts).

You can serve this warm or cold (I like it better warm, but it's good either way). One of my BILs describes it as liquid pumpkin pie.

Not specifically a Christmas-y drink, but nice when it's cold (very sweet, in case you don't like sweet drinks):

Scotch Creams

2 cups milk
1/2 cup cream
1/3 cup honey
1 cup scotch whiskey
ground nutmeg to taste

Combine milk, cream and honey and warm until very hot but NOT boiling.
Stir in Scotch and sprinkle with nutmeg. Makes four (more or less) servings.

dbell1
12-12-2010, 10:12 PM
The peanut butter cup cheesecake was pretty good, but I'd lower the crust recipe and add more cream cheese next time. People loved it, but I wasn't impressed. :lol: But it was easy to make and I had a blast pulling out the food processor and trying different blades and cup sizes...

BigB08822
12-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Has anyone here ever made those no bake oreo balls? You crumble up the oreos and mix with cream cheese then form into balls that you coat in chocolate. I read that people make similar treats but with crumbled up cake instead of the oreos. I had this idea of doing a red velvet cake and crumbling that up with the cream cheese mixed in. Then I will get some green food coloring and add it to my white chocolate so you have green on the outside and red in the middle. Christmas balls! You could even decorate them if you wanted to get really into it to make them look like ornaments or something! I think I may try this tonight.

skatemommy
12-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Has anyone here ever made those no bake oreo balls? You crumble up the oreos and mix with cream cheese then form into balls that you coat in chocolate. I read that people make similar treats but with crumbled up cake instead of the oreos. I had this idea of doing a red velvet cake and crumbling that up with the cream cheese mixed in. Then I will get some green food coloring and add it to my white chocolate so you have green on the outside and red in the middle. Christmas balls! You could even decorate them if you wanted to get really into it to make them look like ornaments or something! I think I may try this tonight.

Brian, a coworker of mine was looking for the recipe; oh heck I'll go get it; wait the internet is giving me fits..

to to allrecipes.com

and ingredient list type in

oreos

cream cheese

and it will appear!

BigB08822
12-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Thanks, skatemommy, but I know how to make them! I was just offering an idea for something fun to do for anyone still looking for ideas. I went and got all the stuff to make cake balls and I came up with another fun touch. I bought a package of mini candy canes and I will stick on into each cakeball so it will be like a cakeball lollipop with a Christmas twist. :)

Artemis@BC
12-22-2010, 01:37 AM
^ Reminds me of an episode of Iron Chef America: the challenging chef made a chocolate fudge with velveeta (!), formed it into balls, stuck them on sticks, dipped them in caramel, then white chocolate, then nuts. I slipped into a diabetic coma just watching it!

BigB08822
12-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Stick to the oreo balls. I don't care for the cake balls very much. A little too mushy of a texture for my liking and it doesn't taste the same as a bite of cake topped with icing. Mixing them together doesn't translate like you would think. I might remake all of them tomorrow with the oreo and cream cheese mixture and stick in the candy canes. Waste of time and money but there was only one way to find out.

Simone411
12-22-2010, 04:45 AM
Two of my faves:

Colorado Salad

1 3 oz. package Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 pkg. lime gelatin (Jello)
1 c. chopped pecans
2 c. drained fruit cocktail
15 marshmallows, diced or 1 1/2 cups of miniature marshmallows.
1 c. Cool Whip

Combine cheese and jello. Add 1 cup boiling water gradually.
Stir until smooth and blended. Chill until partially set.
Add pecans, fruit cocktail and marshmallows.
Fold in cream. Chill until firm.

Velveeta Fudge

1 c. (2 sticks) butter
8 oz. Velveeta Cheese
1/2 c. cocoa
2 tsp. vanilla
2 lb. powdered sugar
3/4 c. chopped pecans

Slowly melt butter and Velveeta.
Can be done in microwave. Add cocoa and vanilla. Mix well.
Add powdered sugar and nuts. Mix well.

Pour into greased 13X9 inch pan. Refrigerate several hours or
until firm before cutting into 1-inch squares to serve.
(For longer storage, wrap tightly and freeze up to 2 months.
Thaw in refrigerator overnight before serving.)

orbitz
12-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Velveeta Fudge

Velveeta cheese, butter, and sugar? I can't picture it.

FiveRinger
12-22-2010, 07:25 PM

I agree. The idea made my stomach roll when Paula Deen did it on an Xmas challenge on Iron Chef America, and it doesn't sound any better now.

Rex
12-22-2010, 07:39 PM

I agree. The idea made my stomach roll when Paula Deen did it on an Xmas challenge on Iron Chef America, and it doesn't sound any better now.

I saw the show where she made this :scream:.
Some things don't need short cuts.

Artemis@BC
12-22-2010, 08:59 PM
^ re: Paula Deen's version, as I posted above, she didn't just make the fudge, she dipped it in caramel, white chocolate, and nuts. :eek: