PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Recipes

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Habs
12-08-2010, 06:11 PM
There are dozens and dozens of slow-cooked ribs recipes on the internet. Almost too many.

My favourite slow-cooked ribs recipe is the easiest EVER.

Season the ribs with seasoned salt & pepper. Roast in the oven on a baking sheet for 90 minutes at 200.
Remove from oven and place in slow cooker. Cover with an entire bottle of your favourite barbecue sauce.
Cook on low for a few hours (5-6) and you're all set!

Wyliefan
12-08-2010, 06:14 PM
But it's goat cheese. Big difference! :D

I know. :) It just gave me a chuckle.

Rex
12-08-2010, 06:15 PM
My favourite slow-cooked ribs recipe is the easiest EVER.

Season the ribs with seasoned salt & pepper. Roast in the oven on a baking sheet for 90 minutes at 200.
Remove from oven and place in slow cooker. Cover with an entire bottle of your favourite barbecue sauce.
Cook on low for a few hours (5-6) and you're all set!
:) That is pretty much what I do with slow-cooker ribs. Hmmmm, sounds like the perfect thing to make this Saturday...

dbell1
12-08-2010, 06:19 PM
There are dozens and dozens of slow-cooked ribs recipes on the internet. Almost too many.

:P The 'perfect' recipe is pretty close to Habs. Mine calls for a sweet sliced onion added to the crockpot - they come out so incredibly tender it's to die for.

Now - who has an idea what I can do with 2 sheets of puff pastry? I went on a buying binge at Trader Joe's yesterday. :lol:

Artemis@BC
12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Now - who has an idea what I can do with 2 sheets of puff pastry? I went on a buying binge at Trader Joe's yesterday. :lol:

OOh, so many ideas, but my fave:

Blind bake until brown. Top with sliced figs & crumbled goat (goat cheese! LOL). Drizzle with balsamic reduction. Bung under the broiler until the cheese is hot & bubbly. Mmmmm!

Or, if you prefer an "actual recipe" ...

Cranberry Brie Puffs

Half of a 397 mL package frozen puff pastry (1 block)
1 cup (250 mL) fresh cranberries
cup (50 mL) water
3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar
cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour, for flouring work surface
6 oz (175 g) brie, rinds removed, cut into 24 equal pieces

Thaw pastry at room temperature for about 1 hour or until soft enough to roll out.

Preheat oven to 400F (200C).

Put the cranberries, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook, covered, over high heat for about 2 to 3 minutes or until cranberries have popped. Remove lid and stir to mash with a fork. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring with fork, for about 1 minute or until the mixture has thickened and liquid has evaporated. Cool.

Sprinkle work surface with flour and roll out puff pastry into a 12 x 9-inch (30 x 23-cm) rectangle. With a pastry scraper, cut the dough into 24 equal rectangles. Press pastry into mini-muffin pans (you'll need 2 pans with 12 muffin cups each). Divide cooled cranberry mixture among the muffin cups. Put a piece of brie in each muffin cup. Bake puffs for 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown. Serve warm.

Serves 6 (makes 24 Puffs)

LCBO, Holiday 2004

Rex
12-08-2010, 06:29 PM
:P The 'perfect' recipe is pretty close to Habs. Mine calls for a sweet sliced onion added to the crockpot - they come out so incredibly tender it's to die for.

Strangely enough, I see slow-cooked ribs at holiday parties. :). I need to get invited somewhere.

Can you get some brie and wrap the puff pastry around it and bake it in the oven for a few minutes? I love that myself.

orbitz
12-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Washington Post cookie recipes gallery (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/features/2010/holiday-guide/galleries/cookies.html?hpid=features1&hpv=national)

FiveRinger
12-09-2010, 03:31 AM
Strangely enough, I see slow-cooked ribs at holiday parties. :). I need to get invited somewhere.

Can you get some brie and wrap the puff pastry around it and bake it in the oven for a few minutes? I love that myself.

I just saw the equivalent of this in a Crescent Pillsbury Roll recipe on a tv commercial (Food Channel, I think). It looked heavenly.

Does anyone have a good homemade dinner roll recipe? Before she died, mother used to make the best homemade dinner rolls. They were kind of sweet. My dad threw away the recipe when he moved (by accident) and my sister has been trying to recreate it, but with no luck. Baking is not my thing--I have never been good at it. My idea of the perfect Xmas recipe is eggnog poured on top of vanilla ice cream (I don't drink, so no liquor). I can't wait to get a glass!

dbell1
12-09-2010, 04:23 AM
snip [B]Cranberry Brie Puffs[/B

:swoon: These sound amazing! Think I'll be making them after a run back to Trader Joe's for Brie and fresh cranberries. I've only got dried cranberries here (use it in my oatmeal cookies and apple cake).

I'm going to a cookie party on Sunday. They're getting my famous (in this house :P ) peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies. I'm thinking of wearing a dress, that way I can eat more. :lol:

Aimless
12-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Does anyone have a good homemade dinner roll recipe? Before she died, mother used to make the best homemade dinner rolls. They were kind of sweet. My dad threw away the recipe when he moved (by accident) and my sister has been trying to recreate it, but with no luck.

Look at this nice blog for a detailed recipe for Parker House rolls. http://lookimadethat.com/

Artemis@BC
12-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm going to a cookie party on Sunday. They're getting my famous (in this house :P ) peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies. I'm thinking of wearing a dress, that way I can eat more. :lol:

:respec:

taf2002
12-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I just saw the equivalent of this in a Crescent Pillsbury Roll recipe on a tv commercial (Food Channel, I think). It looked heavenly.

Does anyone have a good homemade dinner roll recipe? Before she died, mother used to make the best homemade dinner rolls. They were kind of sweet. My dad threw away the recipe when he moved (by accident) and my sister has been trying to recreate it, but with no luck. Baking is not my thing--I have never been good at it. My idea of the perfect Xmas recipe is eggnog poured on top of vanilla ice cream (I don't drink, so no liquor). I can't wait to get a glass!

You mother might have made potato rolls. They are a little sweeter than regular Parker House type. You should be able to get a recipe off the internet. My sister makes them & our whole family prefers them to other dinner rolls.

Cupid
12-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I have a recipe at home for a sweet roll that my Mom used to make for holidays. It was a yeast dough that would rise and she would break it into three little balls per roll, knead them, and place in a greased cupcake pan or cookie sheet, I forget which. But they were absolutely delicious. If I find it later, I will post it here.

I may even surprise her this year and make them myself. I have the recipe, but never made them, and she doesn't do breads anymore.

AragornElessar
12-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I'll have to print out that Hot Punch from a Coffee Maker recipe, as it looks pretty easy to do and fool proof. :)

Here's an old Family Recipe that makes never fail Fluffy Biscuits...

Fluffy Biscuits

2 Cups Flour

4 teaspoons Baking Powder

1/2 Cup Shortening

3/4 C Ginger Ale***

Mix all together in a bowl until well combined. Turn out on to floured surface and cut out (We use a tomato paste can and it makes perfectly sized ones). Put on ungreased baking sheet and put into a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes or nicely browned.

***We've used Sprite and 7Up over the years, and while they work, you don't get the flavor that you do w/Canada Dry or Ginger Ale.

Enjoy!! :)

dbell1
12-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Instead of taking the cookies to the party, I'm taking this... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/chocolate-peanut-butter-cheesecake-recipe/index.html

So far, it smells fabulous. :D