PDA

View Full Version : clokcwise jumpers and spinners / artistry

Pages : [1] 2

The Accordion
12-05-2010, 06:49 PM
When I think of the skaters I know of who jump and spin clockwise -or "backwards" it seems that they more often than not have above average artistry.

Has anyone else noticed this?

LilJen
12-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Yes, I've noticed that, too--a lot of the "artistic" skaters are CW: Weir, Czisny, Shawn Sawyer. But there are plenty of "artistic" skaters who are CCW: Buttle, Abbott, Matt Savoie.

Skateushka
12-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Good point.

We can add the follwoing to that list:

Toller Cranston and Emanuel Sandhu

jjane45
12-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Well, considering that there are far more CCW skaters than CW on the elite level, maybe a higher percentage of CW skaters have above average artistry?

The Accordion
12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Well, considering that there are far more CCW skaters than CW on the elite level, maybe a higher percentage of CW skaters have above average artistry?

Yes! That is what I meant. Thank you!
Oh and I meant to spell clockwise correctly in the title too. Oops.

eusebius
12-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Don't CW jumpers also tend to be left-handed? There is some correlation between left-handedness and creativity, mathematical and musical ability, etc.

Nekatiivi
12-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Don't CW jumpers also tend to be left-handed?

It seems that the correlation is quite week. I am CW and right-handed.

TwizzlerS
12-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I don't think most CW jumpers are left-handed. But I do think there is a correlation between being left-handed and being more creative/artistic. I believe that left-handed people also have shorter life spans.

shan
12-06-2010, 04:53 AM
I don't think most CW jumpers are left-handed. But I do think there is a correlation between being left-handed and being more creative/artistic. I believe that left-handed people also have shorter life spans.

:eek:

victoriaheidi
12-06-2010, 06:09 AM
I believe that left-handed people also have shorter life spans.

My great uncle lived to be 95 and he was left-handed. Despair not, fellow southpaws!

bardtoob
12-06-2010, 06:13 AM
I think that clockwise jumps and spins give a skater an unusual look on the ice, which can make them more noticed, although I don't know about being more artistic.

Marco
12-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Hughes and Kostner are both gawky skaters to me (although I do enjoy their musicality).

victoriaheidi
12-06-2010, 07:05 AM
I think that clockwise jumps and spins give a skater an unusual look on the ice, which can make them more noticed, although I don't know about being more artistic.

I'm a CW skater but I can't get the hang of CW jumps because they always look backwards to me. :/ No clue what the disconnect is there.

BigB08822
12-06-2010, 07:43 PM
What about me? I jump CW but spin CCW. I'm a troubled soul!! lol

RobinA
12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
When I think of the skaters I know of who jump and spin clockwise -or "backwards" it seems that they more often than not have above average artistry.

Has anyone else noticed this?

You obviously don't know me. I "spin" clockwise and "jump" counterclockwise and my artistry is in the negative numbers.