PDA

View Full Version : Gifts to Chan keep American men out of GPF

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

pinky166
12-05-2010, 09:27 PM
American men kept themselves out of the final. No other way to look at it.

Yup Adam didn't skate well at SA, Jeremy didn't skate well at COR, and Brandon earned his low PCS which kept him out of the GPF with his zzz skating. The only ones who even competed against Chan in a GP event were Rippon, who I do think deserved to beat Chan there but I don't think deserved to beat Oda (I would have had the results 1.) Oda 2.) Rippon 3.) Chan) which would have meant he would have come in 2nd place and 4th place at his 2 GPs and still would not have qualified for the final; and then Jeremy at COR, and Jeremy made so many mistakes there that I thought his scores were deserved and he should have been behind Chan, therefore making Chan not responsible for Jeremy's not qualifying for the GPF. So really, Chan doesn't play a factor in any of it.

Jenna
12-05-2010, 09:30 PM
FREE ABBOTT! :mitchell:

Yuka Sato is doing well with him. Why does he need to be freed?

victoriaheidi
12-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I mean, I feel badly about the fact that so few Americans are going to the final, but at the same time, I'm sure that Jeremy needs to stay home (wasn't he having boot trouble or something like that?) and I'm not sure that Mroz going would be the best idea (I think that he needs to keep training if he hopes to do well should he make worlds) and...well, I can't come up with a good reason to leave Adam behind, other than his SA performance.

All in all, it's one GPF. This isn't the Olympic season, this is just a season in between, and they have three years to rebound.

Additionally, Chan does not deserve the blame for any of this. Sure, I was really pissed after SC (although I did pick him for my A pool, so go figure), but I think we spend wayyyyy too much time talking about Chanflation.

dundas
12-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Aren't we having too many Chan bashing threads on FSU now? I'm sooo tired of this.

Well, nobody is forcing you to join a so-called 'Chan-basing' thread. :rolleyes:

igniculus
12-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Seriously? :blah:

luCN
12-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Yup Adam didn't skate well at SA, Jeremy didn't skate well at COR, and Brandon earned his low PCS which kept him out of the GPF with his zzz skating. The only ones who even competed against Chan in a GP event were Rippon, who I do think deserved to beat Chan there but I don't think deserved to beat Oda (I would have had the results 1.) Oda 2.) Rippon 3.) Chan) which would have meant he would have come in 2nd place and 4th place at his 2 GPs and still would not have qualified for the final; and then Jeremy at COR, and Jeremy made so many mistakes there that I thought his scores were deserved and he should have been behind Chan, therefore making Chan not responsible for Jeremy's not qualifying for the GPF. So really, Chan doesn't play a factor in any of it.

Totally agree.

They just aren't good enough to make the GPF.If Weir and Lysacek competed they will easily attend the GPF.

Jeremy and Rippon bombed in their second GP,and their programs weren't good enough.and Brandon is tooooooo boring.If they can go to the GPF,that will be so strange indeed.

amy8
12-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Can we discuss why Czisny is in before Phaneuf? skating skills? experience? no big shoulders? or maybe just she(Alyssa) just skated better that day? BTW I love both these ladies very much. Chan is becoming more interesting for the controversy he creates than his skating

museksk8r
12-06-2010, 01:31 AM
They just aren't good enough to make the GPF.

:rolleyes: Riiiiiiiiiight, Abbott only won the GPF the first time he ever qualified for it. He certainly is good enough to make the GPF as he has done so the past 2 seasons. His COR LP skate just wasn't up to snuff; learn from it and live to skate another day.

If Weir and Lysacek competed they will easily attend the GPF.

:rofl: And you can prove this with 100% certainty how? :blah:

Indra486
12-06-2010, 01:49 AM
Can we discuss why Czisny is in before Phaneuf? skating skills? experience? no big shoulders? or maybe just she(Alyssa) just skated better that day? BTW I love both these ladies very much. Chan is becoming more interesting for the controversy he creates than his skating

I've been slacking on the GP series but does it have to do with Alissa winning one of her GP events?

professordeb
12-06-2010, 02:14 AM
Maybe the author of this piece should watch some Canadian skating on TV and be informed as to how COP works instead of whining about the American boys getting left out of the GP final.

And the Chan bashing continues. He must be a really great skater if there are this many topics devoted to the hatred of him by a few.

sk8er1964
12-06-2010, 04:21 AM

:confused: :confused:

Because Czisny won two medals, one of which was gold, and Phaneuf had two fourth place finishes? Plus, Czisny beat Phaneuf head to head in both competitions.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2010/gpsladies.htm

jlai
12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
:rolleyes: Riiiiiiiiiight, Abbott only won the GPF the first time he ever qualified for it. He certainly is good enough to make the GPF as he has done so the past 2 seasons. His COR LP skate just wasn't up to snuff; learn from it and live to skate another day.

Aren't you two talking about the same thing really? Lucn said he wasn't good enough to make the gpf (meaning this season); you said his skates weren't good enough.

In general I find FSUers are already nicer to him than just about any other skater competing. That comment is extremely mild compared to what's been said about others.

On another note, as a two-time national champ it won;t kill Abbott to take some criticism like other national champs do.Just saying as an Abbott fan.

museksk8r
12-06-2010, 02:27 PM
On another note, as a two-time national champ it won;t kill Abbott to take some criticism like other national champs do.Just saying as an Abbott fan.

I don't know what skating boards you go to, but Abbott certainly does get criticized for his lack of international resume. He certainly has been bashed often over his Worlds and Olympics performances. I'm not sure how you get the impression that his competitive shortcomings have gone unscathed. :confused: If he doesn't get as badly criticized as others, it's because he's generally a nice, humble guy who is respectful towards his competitors. I think he, Tomas Verner, and Michal Brezina all attended the same school to be gentlemen on (and off) ice.

l'etoile
12-06-2010, 02:49 PM
duh!

jlai
12-06-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't know what skating boards you go to, but Abbott certainly does get criticized for his lack of international resume. He certainly has been bashed often over his Worlds and Olympics performances. I'm not sure how you get the impression that his competitive shortcomings have gone unscathed. :confused: If he doesn't get as badly criticized as others,

To be honest I find all posts re Abbott to be mild, considered what's been said about Weir, Lysacek, or Chan/Joubert. Every time there's a hint of Jeremy criticisms there're ubers to the rescue, :) :) to the point that sometimes I think constructive criticisms also get unsaid. :( In fact, many criticisms on Abbott would never raise so much of an eyebrow had it been say, Caroline Zhang.

While I don't particularly think fans should harshly criticise skaters, I personally do not find it problematic that what's been said about other skaters should apply to my own favorite too. Fair is fair. You may think so-and-so is nice and doesn't deserve harsh words, but who's to say Lysacek isn't nice in his own tough-guy sort of way?