PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find this weird?

Pages : [1] 2 3

skateboy
12-05-2010, 07:58 AM
I may be the only one, but it bothers me. When skaters finish their routine, then skate around with their hands on their hips for 15 seconds or more, often looking disappointed. Whatever happened to finishing, taking your bows while the audience is actually applauding for you, then getting off the ice and reacting OFF the ice?

I don't think the older skaters used to do this. Dancers don't do this either (or other performers).

julieann
12-05-2010, 08:20 AM
It bothers me too :)

aftershocks
12-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Quite true. Don't know exactly when or why it became a trend. Not everyone does it, but Plushenko certainly did it after his 2006 Olympic sp performance (and probably others as well). I think a lot of emoting became the norm if you skated well (circa BB at 1988 Olympics) I don't blame BB, because that was a transcendant, perfect skate for him, and he had worked hard to become more than just a jumper. Some skaters began kissing the ice after a performance. Who could forget the glare by the Italian pair skater toward her partner at the end of their marred free dance. I can understand emoting after an amazing performance and collecting hugs and flowers from fans at rinkside, but extended skating around and too much visible show of disappointment should be minimized or eliminated.

In other times, I think skaters whether they skated beautifully or miserably took their bows and exited the ice. They also used to skate onto the ice immediately when their names were called, and start their programs. Today, (a trend definitely started by Oksana Baiul) skaters wait awhile even after their names are called, and then skate around in circles meditating it seems, and practicing jump techique, or flicking ice from their skate blades, before deciding to strike their opening pose. :P

senorita
12-05-2010, 01:09 PM
ot everyone does it, but Plushenko certainly did it after his 2006 Olympic sp performance (and probably others as well). I think a lot of emoting became the norm if you skated well (circa BB at 1988 Olympics) I don't blame BB, because that was a transcendant, perfect skate for him..

i think same case with Boitano happened with Plushenko in the program you mentioned (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ieMEfklmuI)

and in general, skaters need to catch their breath, take down their heart beats and get out of the zone they were, all and all this lasts like 30 seconds, even disappointment or triumph expressions i dont bother, if you imagine many people cant control their emotions on the board when they watch a competition, and we just sit on a sofa watching and commenting.
One of the moments i remember in Vancouver was Lysacek's sp and Yuna lp reactions and I think it said a lot about the pressure they felt to skate clean and all, and they let their emotions out before bowing. Probably Abott is the most graphic in reactions :).

HSGP21
12-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Skating programs are technically more difficult now than they used to be... by the end of a four/four-and-a-half minute program skaters are physically exhausted and need to catch their breath. For better or worse, it is now more of a sport than a performance. How many people do you see doing this during exhibitions?

Polymer Bob
12-05-2010, 01:51 PM
They also used to skate onto the ice immediately when their names were called, and start their programs. Today, (a trend definitely started by Oksana Baiul) skaters wait awhile even after their names are called, and then skate around in circles meditating it seems, and practicing jump techique, or flicking ice from their skate blades, before deciding to strike their opening pose. :P

By official IJS rules, a skater has one minute after their name is called to strike the pose.

professordeb
12-05-2010, 02:01 PM
By official IJS rules, a skater has one minute after their name is called to strike the pose.

True that, but sometimes it has seemed to take longer than that. Just recently I saw Cynthia Phaneuf taking the ice and it appeared to take her a long time to strike up her pose. I saw her take a quick look "up" - I'm thinking it was to a scoreboard which probably shows how much time is left - and she settled down and assumed her position within a few seconds. I realize the skaters probably take that time to get their nerves under some control, perhaps control their breathing but sometimes it just seems to take a long time. Just my perception, I'm sure.

briancoogaert
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't think it's weird. It's absolutely normal to have emotions at the end of the program. It's a sport, not a show.
I loved Tara Lipinski's reaction in Nagano, or Michelle's reaction at 2004 US Nats.
As a spectator, I don't feel offended if a skater doesn't bow before reacting !

Allen
12-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Not only am I not offended, I really enjoy someone being happy for their accomplishment. One of my pet peeves is someone winning something or doing well and just acting like they can't be bothered to even smile.

ltnskater
12-05-2010, 06:17 PM
It is actually not a bad thing...as someone mentioned before, many skaters take their time to skate around the rink after their 4 minute program to slow down their heart rate which is better than just standing their bowing and getting off the ice (better for them physically - that is why you have a cool-down period to slow your heart rate after an intense cardio conditioning session).

As for skaters who skate around after their name is called, they have 1 minute...that is within the rules... it is up to them to do whatever they need to get ready whether it is mental preparation, visualization, self-talk for their program. We also have to remember some of these skaters that skate later in the flight have been off a good half an hour 45 minutes since the warmup, and may want some time to get their legs under them after taking their skates off as well.

So I actually do not have a problem with that, I doubt the audience or the majority of the public does either, and many times, they actually enjoy the emotions that come out immediately after their performance as well.

apollo13
12-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I may be the only one, but it bothers me. When skaters finish their routine, then skate around with their hands on their hips for 15 seconds or more, often looking disappointed. Whatever happened to finishing, taking your bows while the audience is actually applauding for you, then getting off the ice and reacting OFF the ice?

I don't think the older skaters used to do this. Dancers don't do this either (or other performers).

Naah! Doesn't bother me one bit. Ice skaters are athletes with very human traits.

We have seen:

Football players do creative "dance" routines when scoring a touchdown even at the risk of getting a penalty for "unsportsmanlike conduct". And the cornerback looks on shaking his head for letting the receiver catch the ball. In Green Bay, they do the "Lambeau Leap" after every touchdown.

Baseball players go on a "trot" around the bases, with fists held high, when hitting a homerun. And if you look at the pitcher's mound, you'd see the pitcher punching his glove in disgust.

Soccer players rip off their jerseys after a goal. Remember Brandy Chastain at a recent Olympics, stripping down to her sports bra when the US team won.

And at the last Olympics, Usain Bolt went into celebration mode ten meters before the 100-meter dash finish line.

Yeah, yeah... Ice skating is a much genteel sport, but it is still a sport - and athletes have very human emotions. NO it does not bother me one bit...

Indra486
12-05-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't think it's weird. It's absolutely normal to have emotions at the end of the program. It's a sport, not a show.
I loved Tara Lipinski's reaction in Nagano, or Michelle's reaction at 2004 US Nats.

MTE

Considering how focused and disciplined athletes are, they should be allowed to show moments of joy or disappointment because they're working for optimum results. I also agree with the cool-down/catching a breath statements that are being made.

sigrid
12-05-2010, 07:52 PM
I love when skaters react at the end of their programs, it's strange but sometimes I remember more how they ended their programs than the program itself.

julieann
12-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I think their is a big difference between being happy for a few moments on the ice and skating around discusted at yourself and/or your partner like a child. I understand athletes are human and they are going to react however they feel at the moment. But I do find it unprofessional.

Other athletes such as football players do react in the end zone but they are also penalized if it's excesive.

senorita
12-05-2010, 08:36 PM
they are athletes, holding all their emotions, being disciplined while training all season for those 4 minutes, and hold it until they finsih the last note of their programs, that is professional.
Have you seen anyone jumping around from joy before the beginning of the program? What they do after the end is their moment and their reaction to what is happening in them, it is a bit harsh to even bother for their moment. When I read drama queen stuff like that and comments like this about athletes, I feel like people think they watch the circus and monkeys that eat the banana or jump whenever they are asked. We are watching a sport, and this happens to most sports I ve seen, team sports or not, from swimming, athletics etc, there is no comme il faut in how you react for your sadness or triumph and I havent seen anything excessive or rude to the audience. Even Bonaly's jump.