PDA

View Full Version : Ross Miner

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

orbitz
02-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Ross's LP was much better than his SP. I wish he and his team would re-choreograph the SP to put more Oomphs into it.

I think the heavy forward lurch Ross does before his 3A gives that jump somewhat of an unstable feeling for me. I wonder if Mitchell and Johanssen have trouble teaching 3A, because their former student Steven Carrierre also had a weird entrance into his 3A.

DORISPULASKI
02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Previous to Nationals, Ross's 3A wasn't as high, and tended to finish low. So he has obviously been working on it, because it went sky high at Nationals. However, you're right, and some more work to smooth it out is in order.

And I agree that his SP needs something. For one thing he needs a costume that says "Salsa Medley" rather than "Zorro".

And something else for the LP, too, but obviously he can't wear a fedora and a trench coat.

http://thebestpictureproject.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/casablanca3.jpg

maybe the dinner jacket and black bowtie look with the black pants from the bar scene where Sam is playing "As Time Goes By"?

danceronice
02-05-2011, 06:48 PM
I would swear Ross used to have a show program to Casablanca, and wore something more akin to a dinner jacket for it. This was a few years ago, though, so it's been a while and I might be misremembering the costume.

Tammi
02-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I would swear Ross used to have a show program to Casablanca, and wore something more akin to a dinner jacket for it. This was a few years ago, though, so it's been a while and I might be misremembering the costume.Casablanca (with the dinner jacket style costume) was his 2007 novice free skate.

DORISPULASKI
02-05-2011, 09:46 PM
BTW, I love the way he skated up and threw snow from his skates into the camera and followed it up with a Mr. Frack cantilever in the Gala. (Skating to Born to Run by The Boss)

Super.

stjeaskategym
02-06-2011, 10:42 PM
If Nationals is to be taken seriously by the competitors and the public as the ultimate showdown competition, the placements here should determine the world team. Skaters talking about "peaking at worlds" should save this talk for AFTER they compete at nationals and earn their spot. Ross earned it fair and square. This doom and gloom talk helps no one, least of all figure skating as a sport. I look forward to seeing Ross compete for the US at Worlds.

If a field goal kicker misses a field goal or two in a crucial playoff game, is he going to lose his spot to a talented but unseasoned second-string kicker for the most important game of all, the Superbowl? This is probably a silly analogy, but my point is that considering a skater's recent international results in picking the World team is smart thinking, not "unfair". In gymnastics, the World/Olympic team selections are based on several recent results, rather than one competition. Are they being "unfair", or are they just trying their best to send the team that has the greatest potential to do well?

I really liked Ross's LP in Greensboro, and I think he had a decent showing in his GP debut. I, personally, would have named Abbott to the team, and therefore, I hope nobody gets on Miner's case (or Dornbush's) if the US men cannot retain 3 spots. For someone like Ross, it's a huge success just to even be there. A decent finish would be a bonus for him.

orbitz
02-06-2011, 10:52 PM
I, personally, would have named Abbott to the team, and therefore, I hope nobody gets on Miner's case (or Dornbush's) if the US men cannot retain 3 spots.

I think the responsibility of getting the US 3 spots for 2012 should rest mostly on the shoulders of the National champion and the 2nd place finisher. The 3rd person on a World team is almost an afterthought.

DORISPULASKI
02-06-2011, 11:29 PM
If a field goal kicker misses a field goal or two in a crucial playoff game, is he going to lose his spot to a talented but unseasoned second-string kicker for the most important game of all, the Superbowl? .

Yes.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/For_Kickers__Tenuous_Job_Security_Is_the_Norm_9223 1.jsp

As the article says, "For Kickers, Tenuous Job Security Is the Norm".

And skating is an individual sport, in any case.

Sylvia
02-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Boston Globe article today:

article on Miner
http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/olympics/articles/2011/02/13/skater_makes_a_leap/
Excerpt:

There were chatroom comments about sending a newbie to Worlds instead of an Olympian.

“To me that’s great,’’ said Miner. “It’s motivation. I want to prove people wrong.’’

Nobody is expecting the Americans to win a medal in Tokyo. Their primary task is to maintain three entries for next year’s event in Nice, which the men can do by finishing no worse than sixth and seventh.

“You have these Olympic and world medalists and here you are,’’ observed Mitchell. “It isn’t easy.’’

DORISPULASKI
02-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Nice article :lol:

Had he not had the day of his life in Greensboro, N.C., his season likely would have been over before Groundhog Day. But the Green Mountain emigre happily saw his shadow, so his winter will continue for another two months.

dbell1
02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
If a field goal kicker misses a field goal or two in a crucial playoff game, is he going to lose his spot to a talented but unseasoned second-string kicker for the most important game of all, the Superbowl? This is probably a silly analogy, but my point is that considering a skater's recent international results in picking the World team is smart thinking, not "unfair". I

Using your analogy, if the kicker misses field goals and costs his team the game, he wouldn't be going to the Super Bowl. The 'kicker' needs to either deliver the goods or go home and watch the game on tv.

Triple Butz
02-14-2011, 05:20 AM
I think the responsibility of getting the US 3 spots for 2012 should rest mostly on the shoulders of the National champion and the 2nd place finisher. The 3rd person on a World team is almost an afterthought.

tell that to Shizuka Arakawa and Sarah Hughes...:slinkaway

bek
02-14-2011, 07:19 AM
If a field goal kicker misses a field goal or two in a crucial playoff game, is he going to lose his spot to a talented but unseasoned second-string kicker for the most important game of all, the Superbowl? This is probably a silly analogy, but my point is that considering a skater's recent international results in picking the World team is smart thinking, not "unfair". In gymnastics, the World/Olympic team selections are based on several recent results, rather than one competition. Are they being "unfair", or are they just trying their best to send the team that has the greatest potential to do well?

If said "seasoned" kicker messed up in the three Superbowls in a row, and had a history of inconsistency, said kicker would have been long gone.

Jeremy Abbott is a fabulous skater, but the guy is completely unreliable competitor. You want to mention gymnastics, I"d point out to you that Marta would have been through with Jeremy years ago. The fact that this is an individual sport is the reason Jeremy has gotten the chances he has.

Reputation has a lot to do with PCS and skaters like Dornbush, Miner are never going to get good PCS if they are never given a chance to compete at the big international events. At this point the USFSA is pretty much just trying to figure out which of their youngsters to start investing/supporting. And part of figuring out who to invest/support is also seeing who you can rely on to deliver in competitions.

paskatefan
02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the article link. I was impressed with Ross as a junior and hope he has great success as a senior. Show 'em, Ross!

orbitz
02-14-2011, 08:23 PM
tell that to Shizuka Arakawa and Sarah Hughes...:slinkaway

Well once in a bluemoon all the stars and planets are aligned for the non-favorites to steal the spotlight :lol: