PDA

View Full Version : Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Buzz
12-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I just saw this series for the first time on DVD and liked a lot. (graphic X-rated content aside) I think it is a great series which was obviously designed after the movie 300. Well the series was on hold while the star Andy Whitfield sort cancer treatment, and was thought to be in remission but apparently the cancer has reoccured and he has since dropped out of the series. Well now the show is beginning to seek a replacement for the part of Spartacus and some of those in the running are: Stephen Amell, Aiden Turner, and Liam McIntyre. I hope Whitfield makes a full recovery. He is only 36 and that is soooo young to be battling cancer and glad to see the series will return in January but I am sure if it is the talked about prequel. Looking forward to it.

cmkrcwi
12-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Actually, from what I understand, none of them ended up getting the part although apparently they are still somewhat interested in Liam McIntyre.

I loved this series and have gotten the DVDs too. The first few episodes are not great but the show really gets better and better as you go along.

Yes, the prequel will be airing in January.

walei
12-05-2010, 06:34 AM
I really enjoy the first season. It started slow but became REALLY engaging week after week. Too bad about Andy Whitfield and hope he makes a quick recovery.

The show is returning in January but it is indeed a prequel called Spartacus: Gods of the Arena.

http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus

Tinami Amori
12-05-2010, 07:12 AM
I just saw this series for the first time on DVD and liked a lot. (graphic X-rated content aside) I think it is a great series which was obviously designed after the movie 300.

If by “designed” you mean graphic violence and style, then “maybe”.

But “300” and prior films like “300 Spartans” are about ancient Greek Resistance of 300 Spartan warriors against Persian invasion lead by King Kserks in 5th century BC. Takes place in Greece.

.. and “Spartacus” is a story about gladiator slaves upraising against the Authorities of Ancient Rome in 1st century BC, led by a nobleman Spartacus, an enslaved Ruler from a region in southern Balgaria. Takes place in Rome.

Just for the record...:)