PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cynthia Phaneuf

Pages : 1 [2]

pinky166
12-03-2010, 04:32 AM
^She's 5'7"... which is above average for females but gigantic as a skater. The skaters you listed are around the same 5'6"-5'7" range as well. The tallest skater that comes to mind for me is Lucinda Ruh - 5'9", apparently. Candace Didier from France is also quite tall, her ISU profile puts her at 171 cm (so a touch over 5'7"). It's a lot harder to fully rotate jumps when you are taller and making errors are far less forgiving but the effect that longer limbs can have on the ice can be quite breathtaking (with good line, of course).

Cynthia has a wonderful presence on the ice. I do hope she works on her crossovers, though. She always has one of her arms kind of awkwardly in front of her and I find it rather distracting.

Oh ok. I agree about her crossovers, it always bugs me how her arms just kind of hang there because she's otherwise so expressive and has these long, muscular arms that are gorgeous to look at but she does nothing with them!

mag
12-03-2010, 05:10 PM
^She's 5'7"... which is above average for females but gigantic as a skater. The skaters you listed are around the same 5'6"-5'7" range as well. The tallest skater that comes to mind for me is Lucinda Ruh - 5'9", apparently. Candace Didier from France is also quite tall, her ISU profile puts her at 171 cm (so a touch over 5'7"). It's a lot harder to fully rotate jumps when you are taller and making errors are far less forgiving but the effect that longer limbs can have on the ice can be quite breathtaking (with good line, of course).

Cynthia has a wonderful presence on the ice. I do hope she works on her crossovers, though. She always has one of her arms kind of awkwardly in front of her and I find it rather distracting.

I'm sure she is over 5'7". I've stood next to her and I would say she is between 5'8" and 5'9". Now, she is very very thin so maybe she just seems taller, but 5'7" just doesn't seem right. As a side note, she is also solid muscle. There is a reason she can land those triples - core strength and plenty of it!

pinky166
12-03-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm sure she is over 5'7". I've stood next to her and I would say she is between 5'8" and 5'9". Now, she is very very thin so maybe she just seems taller, but 5'7" just doesn't seem right. As a side note, she is also solid muscle. There is a reason she can land those triples - core strength and plenty of it!

I've heard it was rumored she's around 5'8", and she did look a lot bigger than Kiira in the warmups at TEB, so that might be right. I feel like most skaters look taller than their listed heights though, probably because they are always wearing skates which add about 3 inches :lol:

blue_idealist
12-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Cynthia was listed on her Olympic bio last year as being 5'6" and 132 lbs. I remembered it because of the greater height and weight than the other tiny ones lol.

pinky166
12-04-2010, 04:21 AM
Cynthia was listed on her Olympic bio last year as being 5'6" and 132 lbs. I remembered it because of the greater height and weight than the other tiny ones lol.

I feel like if that weight is correct, she must be taller than 5'6", otherwise she'd look like a hefer out there, which she doesn't, she looks thin even on tv.

rvi5
12-04-2010, 05:49 AM
I feel like if that weight is correct, she must be taller than 5'6", otherwise she'd look like a hefer out there, which she doesn't, she looks thin even on tv.
Muscle is heavier than fat, and occupies less space. It may be possible for her to appear thin, yet weigh more than expected compared to the average person of the same size.

blue_idealist
12-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Cynthia's bone structure is larger than the other womens', if you look at them together, even though she might even have less body fat than some. She's kind of the opposite of Rachael Flatt, who I'd call small boned and squishy.

Dr.Siouxs
12-19-2010, 12:06 AM
She's kind of the opposite of Rachael Flatt, who I'd call small boned and squishy.

squishy? :rollin:

Rex
12-19-2010, 01:23 AM
sioux, clear out some of your PMs!!

victoriajh
12-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Muscle is heavier than fat, and occupies less space. It may be possible for her to appear thin, yet weigh more than expected compared to the average person of the same size.

this is waht I tell myself EVERY DAY!:D