PDA

View Full Version : Zumba, anyone?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WindSpirit
12-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Has anyone tried it? Loved it? Hated it?

A friend of mine wanted me to join Curves with her, and I've been thinking about it but then I remembered reading about Zumba. Sounds like fun. I've been just wondering what exactly it does to your body? Help you lose weight/tone it, etc.? If anyone has tried it, please share your experience.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
12-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm wondering about it too. I'm taking a class called Zumba Fitness next semester and I haven't gotten around to looking it up yet. :lol:

I've heard it's kinda hard.

WindSpirit
12-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I've heard it's kinda hard. They have different levels. I think in my town they only have ZumbaGold which is for older people or those who haven't done any physical activity for a long time.

I'd rather do regular Zumba. I may not be in the top shape right now, but I used to dance and I'd rather catch up to a higher level than be stuck at a lower one. Exercising to Latin music sounds great to me.

But it's probably not for everyone. I was telling that friend who wanted me to join Curves with her about Zumba but then realized I completely don't see her doing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glexu90pMxo

Or especially that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4 (fun video)

She would probably get mad at me if I talked her into taking a class like that. :lol:

algonquin
12-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Tried it and loved, loved it.

IceAlisa
12-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Loved it, loved it, loved it. My concern with Zumba is that it's high impact.

Bev Johnston
12-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I've taken the class at my local Y. It helps if you can dance or at least have some sort of physical coordination, but trust me, there are lots of people who have neither but still enjoy the class. In the class I go to, the instructors lead us through several songs based on some sort of rhythm or type of dance, usually latin-based: samba, cha cha, cumbia, salsa, flamenco, etc. We also sometimes do one belly dance number and sometimes a hip-hop song. It's a party atmosphere and lots of fun. It's primarily a cardio workout. There are also Zumba Toning classes, but I haven't tried any of those. It's a good workout, especially because it's so fun it takes your mind off of the fact that you're actually exercising.

Stefanie
12-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Love it! :)

Aceon6
12-02-2010, 08:15 PM
I find it's the only kind of group exercise I can stick with. My inner dancer would much rather go dancing than to a regular cardio class. There are so many levels of fitness in our class that it's become perfectly acceptable to "sit out" an 8 or 16 then jump back in.

BTW, I requested the Wii Zumba for a holiday gift.

Aimless
12-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Zumba is really fun and fairly challenging, although it can be done in a range from easy to very strenuous. the music is enjoyable and it's a bit more like freestyle dancing than most aerobic classes. The leaders are supposed to give non-verbal cues as to what move is coming next but I find this often means that it takes me a wasted beat to see what she'd doing and follow. The moves aren't quite as precise or prescribed as other classes--you can do more of your own thing. You sweat like crazy and burn calories in a good 50 minutes of non-stop aerobics, with warm up and cool down to start and end. Mostly women, many wearing beaded hip scarves sold by the teachers. I've had 5 Zumba classes with two different teachers.

I'm more familiar with Jazzercise, which is a more complete exercise program. I've been doing it for three years. The music is also enjoyable, more varied than Zumba, the moves are demonstrated very precisely, and the cuing is amplified and verbal so that if the teacher is good, you always know what move is coming next. In Jazzercise you get a fast aerobic session of 35-40 minutes, followed by 20-25 minutes of strength training both standing and on the floor and with weights, including an abdominal workout. Zumba doesn't do as much for abs and arms as Jazzercise.

I like them both, and will probably continue with both. It's very helpful to have variety in an exercise program.

Nekatiivi
12-02-2010, 08:31 PM
I have done Zumba classes, and I can tell you that most of the steps are very easy if you have any kind of dance background. I have still enjoyed it thought, it is fun, also because my not so dancerish friend likes it too. It is the only dance class were she agrees to come to. :D

mashenka82
12-02-2010, 09:58 PM
I've been doing zumba for a couple of months and it's a lot of fun! It took me three tries to actually get into it (I truly hated it the first few times), but now I think it's a lot of fun! It's a great workout and really burns a lot of calories and works all areas of your body and you it's a lot of fun which is really important for me, personally, since I tend to get bored! It takes a few classes to get the hang of the steps, but it's fun and it's fun dancing around!

I will say though that it really depends on the instructor too! I've had some really fun and lively instructors who amp the energy and are good about instructions, and then I've had one or two who either don't have the energy themselves to do an hours worth of dance or who don't bother giving any signals about the moves, so it's good to try out a few and find the right instructor for you!

myhoneyhoney
12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I want to go to a Zumba class so bad but it's hard to find babysitters :(. Maybe I'll try the wii Zumba

Aussie Willy
12-03-2010, 01:35 AM
I haven't tried it but the people I know who have love it.

skatemomaz
12-03-2010, 05:34 AM
love it! I started about a year and 1/2 ago and lost 40 lbs in 6 months. The instructor at my gym is awesome, really easy to follow and he is always coming up with new music and moves. Usually in the last 15 minutes we finish with hip hop or showtunes.

IceAlisa, I don't find it high impact at all, I had problems with my knees before I started and this was one of the few classes that didn't bother my knees at all. The best part of taking this class is nobody is judging your abilities, just get out there and do it!

IceAlisa
12-03-2010, 06:44 AM
IceAlisa, I don't find it high impact at all, I had problems with my knees before I started and this was one of the few classes that didn't bother my knees at all.

Perhaps classes vary. Where I did it, there was a lot of jumping and pounding on knees and hips involved. I am not as much worried about my knees longterm (my knees are fine) but rather the subcutaneous fat pads sliding down my face resulting in the face losing volume prematurely. Of course, this isn't exactly an important factor, let alone a deal breaker for a lot of people though.

One thing's for sure--this is the most fun cardio I've ever done and I hate cardio but love to dance. :)

This is sort of what it was like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4