PDA

View Full Version : Zumba, anyone?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Cupid
12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I have started a Zumba class at a local dance studio. It's fun and there is a routine that they use, which looks nothing like the links posted here. It's done mostly to music such as Alejandro by Lady Gaga, Latin beats. I have yet to break a sweat because I'm still trying to keep up with the dance steps.

It helps when you start to stand in the back so you can follow the footwork of the people in front of you. I don;t have any dance experience I have learned that if I count the steps, it gets a lot easier, like 1, 2, 3 and 1, 2, 3. If you look at the posted links you can see that counting makes it easier to follow along.

I just bought a pass for $75 which includes 10 visits at about 50 minutes per visit. I figure it beats sitting on my butt on the couch watching reality shows. Plus I started using my treadmill, handweights, and exercise bike to try to keep the weight down that's starting to creep up on me.

I hear that spinning classes are a lot of fun, I may do that once I'm in better shape.

Most studios will allow you to try the first class for free to see if you like it and want to commit.

PrincessLeppard
12-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I've done it twice now and I love it. After the first class, I could barely move. It was awesome.

Sometimes the instructor makes the steps too complicated (for me), but I just improvise and keep moving, so it's all good. :)

Bev Johnston
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
I hear that spinning classes are a lot of fun, I may do that once I'm in better shape.

You don't have to wait!! Spinning is very individualized and you can make your workout as hard or easy as you want and no one knows as long as your feet keep moving! :)

I also wanted to mention that they make special Zumba shoes, but really all you need is a shoe with a pivot point on the bottom. I've tried various types of shoes, and I find that my cross-trainers provide great support and cushioning, but are a little too sticky for Zumba.

Aceon6
12-03-2010, 03:50 PM
You don't have to wait!! Spinning is very individualized and you can make your workout as hard or easy as you want and no one knows as long as your feet keep moving! :)

I also wanted to mention that they make special Zumba shoes, but really all you need is a shoe with a pivot point on the bottom. I've tried various types of shoes, and I find that my cross-trainers provide great support and cushioning, but are a little too sticky for Zumba.

Any dance shoe will do. Capezio makes a great dance sneaker that you can usually get for under $30 at Zappo's

twinsmom
12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I have done it once, and wanted to do it when I first heard about it. I love to dance and just need a really good workout, and this definitely fits the bill. I hope to start soon. And thanks to those who have said there is a WII zumba, I'll have to look into that :)

Fergus
12-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I just booked a four month Zumba program for the patrons @ my library gig for early 2011.

We're implementing a "Healthy 2011" initiative. :)

skatemommy
12-03-2010, 04:58 PM
I love it! My YMCA offers Zumba fitness and toning. I prefer the fitness. Ditto to it being the only group class (except yoga) that I enjoy! We have al levels; our instructor welcomes all.

snoopy
12-03-2010, 07:33 PM
but rather the subcutaneous fat pads sliding down my face resulting in the face losing volume prematurely. Of course, this isn't exactly an important factor, let alone a deal breaker for a lot of people though.

Wait, are you serious? Are you saying vertical pounding can cause jowls?

WindSpirit
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Wait, are you serious? Are you saying vertical pounding can cause jowls? I've read about it, too. Jogging and other exercise will help things migrate south a little earlier than they would on their own. I guess that would be faster if someone's older and things are not as... springy as they used to be. ;)

Btw, I'm loving this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing their experience. :respec:

skatemomaz
12-03-2010, 08:11 PM

I wear these Capezio shoes (http://www.zappos.com/capezio-web-black-pink). I highly recommend this type of shoe, they really allow you to move properly and don't stick to the floor. This shoe like most dance shoes runs small, I ordered 1/2 size larger.

Satellitegirl
12-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I was looking for Zumba last night on youtube, and I'd like to take some classes eventually. But while I was looking I thought "I could just dance around my apartment and burn calories too" so I picked up some light arm weights, and danced around for 20 min to various youtube songs I love. *shrug*

Marge_Simpson
12-03-2010, 08:59 PM
I am not a "group class" sort of person and generally prefer to work out at home. (The class starts when I turn on the DVD player and I can exercise in my underwear if I want to. :lol:(
The hospital where I work started offering Zumba classes at $30 for 6 sessions. I was born without a coordination gene so I figured I'd get kicked out, but what the hell, I'd check it out.
I was able to keep up with with the choreography and am now addicted. :lol:

skatemommy
12-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Our instructor is barely 5' tall; 53 years old and about 100lbs. She can get the strings on the back pockets of her officially licensed Zumba cargo pants to spin in circles like an old time stripper can make pasties twirl about! (I don't think she knows and I'm too embarassed to admit I'm watching her butt). Needless to say; nobody is judging or watching anyone else and we can't take our eyes off her crazy salsa steps and the show that is her dance moves/burlesque!:P

IceAlisa
12-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Wait, are you serious? Are you saying vertical pounding can cause jowls?

What WS said. What I mean is fat and collagen are what makes the face look plump and young. Ever notice how faces look drawn and aged when someone suddenly loses weight?

So prolonged consistent jumping, running and other forms of high impact exercise could force the fat pads in the face migrate south causing premature loss of volume. Technically, lost volume can be replaced by fillers but why speed things up?

myhoneyhoney
12-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Ever notice how faces look drawn and aged when someone suddenly loses weight?

Aw hell, I was happy about losing 20 lbs until I read this, lol. You just know I'm going to be staring and analyzing my face whenever I pass a mirror now.