PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a Keurig coffee maker? (threads merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Nora_Charles
12-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I want one, and know that if I ask Santa ;) I'll get one for Christmas. The problem is...there are about eleventy different models and I have no idea which one I'd like best. Any suggestions/tips/help would be appreciated! :)

my little pony
12-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I have one. I have a small one because I am only making one cup at a time. I really only make my own coffee when the weather is bad. I think the model you would like best depends on how much coffee you are making at a time. If you are buying it to make a different type of coffee for each person, then you probably dont need a bigger one. Also, if color is important to you, not all models come in all colors.

Nora_Charles
12-02-2010, 06:21 PM
It's just for me - I'm the only one who likes flavored coffees, and at most I'd be making/drinking 2 cups a day. I've looked at them everywhere, including the Keurig website, and I just can't figure out the difference between the models. Do they all basically do the same thing, and you can just brew different cup sizes or??? That's where I'm getting confused. If the one that's only $99 does the same as the one that's $169, why would I want Santa to have to fork out an extra $70? :)

skatesindreams
12-02-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm trying to decide whether to buy one, also.
I'm the lone coffee lover.

How cost effective are they?

Which models include the "My K-Cup"?
I've always enjoyed grinding/creating my own blend; and don't like flavored coffee.

my little pony
12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
i am only making 1 cup at a time, i got a cheaper model. i can brew myself a small cup or a rather large cup. but i think some of the larger models can make a lot at once but i may be mistaken about that. i got mine from qvc when it was the today's special value. it came with a bunch of kcups. just for one person, imo the cheaper machine will do everything you need it to.

DubbalinGirl
12-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure what folks mean by small and "just one cup at a time"...the Keurigs I know of ONLY make one cup at a time, but have a water reservoir that holds much more, so you can reload the K-Cup and do another cup right away. Unless you mean like the desktop version (which yes, I have asked for for Christmas!) vs. the countertop version.

Anyway, yes, I have one and I wouldn't live without it now. I like not being tied to one pot of coffee of a particular brew/blend/flavor, not having to clean anything up, being able to have different flavors one after the other, etc.

If you like flavored coffees, the only place I've found online where you don't have to buy a case of one flavor of K-Cups (really, who wants 24 of one flavor?) is bigcatcoffee.com. They let you mix flavors (5 flavors in a box of 25 K Cups). They ship same day, so I usually have my order the next day. I think it's certainly cheaper than getting coffee out, but not cheaper than brewing your own beans in terms of cost effectiveness.

Southpaw
12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
just for one person, imo the cheaper machine will do everything you need it to.

Even me?

Artemis@BC
12-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I prefer the one-cup-at-a-time reservoir design. The ones that hold more water just waste energy keeping the water warm. It does depend on the layout of your kitchen of course, but I've never found it a hassle to add water each time I make a new cup -- I have to add the new K-cup, after.

I loved the first Keurig brewer I bought so much that I bought another one for my office. So two big thumbs up for me. A tad more expensive than ordinary ground/drip coffee, but soooo much better in freshness & flavour. And I stock up when they're on sale.

My favourite K-cups, BTW, are the Green Mountain Dark Magic Extra Bold, Van Houtte Kenya Dark, and Timothy's Rainforest Espresso.

Nora_Charles
12-02-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure what folks mean by small and "just one cup at a time"...the Keurigs I know of ONLY make one cup at a time, but have a water reservoir that holds much more, so you can reload the K-Cup and do another cup right away. Unless you mean like the desktop version (which yes, I have asked for for Christmas!) vs. the countertop version.

I guess that's what I'm talking about -- I already knew that it would only do one cup at a time, but there are 3 different models on teh Keurig website: Elite, Special Edition, and Platinum. And even though I've read through the product details on each one, they're pretty sketchy and the only difference I can figure out is that each one will allow for different cup sizes. It doesn't really talk about how much water the reservoir will hold or anything like that. So is that pretty much the only difference between the least expensive and most expensive, or are there other differences like...I don't know...maybe one is programmable or something? I don't really want/need lots of bells and whistles. I plan to have a countertop one, and won't necessarily use it *daily*, and I'd only be making (at most) 2 cups of coffee.

Oh, and are the different k-cups just a "single serve" of coffee? (Like, if you just want one cup of coffee, you put one k-cup, and then if you want more coffee you have to use a new k-cup)

Artemis@BC
12-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh, and are the different k-cups just a "single serve" of coffee? (Like, if you just want one cup of coffee, you put one k-cup, and then if you want more coffee you have to use a new k-cup)

Yes.

You can also buy a "my K-cup," which is a little filter basket that you fill with your own ground coffee, but that too makes 1 cup at a time.

As for the different models ... I'm not really sure what all the bells and whistles are, but it sounds like for your use the basic model is probably sufficient. Mine is called a "mini," and I got it on sale for about $65 -- pretty great deal when I look at the prices now.

Nora_Charles
12-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I prefer the one-cup-at-a-time reservoir design. The ones that hold more water just waste energy keeping the water warm. It does depend on the layout of your kitchen of course, but I've never found it a hassle to add water each time I make a new cup -- I have to add the new K-cup, after.

I loved the first Keurig brewer I bought so much that I bought another one for my office. So two big thumbs up for me. A tad more expensive than ordinary ground/drip coffee, but soooo much better in freshness & flavour. And I stock up when they're on sale.

My favourite K-cups, BTW, are the Green Mountain Dark Magic Extra Bold, Van Houtte Kenya Dark, and Timothy's Rainforest Espresso.

So can I be super nosy and ask which one you got? :) Like..cheapest, mid-range, most expensive? It sounds like the one-cup reservoir would work for me, too.

oops looks like we posted at the same time! Thanks, Artemis, and everyone for the info :)

Southpaw
12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I don't understand how the different size cups are brewed from the K-cup. Is the K-cup one size fits all? Would an 8oz cup then be stronger than a 10oz since the 10oz uses more water?

Aceon6
12-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I have a B60, last year's model with the 2 brew sizes. Hubby and I prefer the reservoir as it's possible to put the beast on the other side of the kitchen, away from the water source.

I like it for many reasons. I can switch it up - have one flavored and one not, and have a decaf in the evening in the evening without having to clean a coffee pot. Hubby and I like different styles of coffee, so it's perfect for us and for the occasional guest.

I joined Green Mountain's Cafe Express program and just have the K-cups sent on a regular schedule. When I need something different, I usually order from Amazon.

btw, I'm addicted to Caramel Vanilla Cream.

Aceon6
12-02-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't understand how the different size cups are brewed from the K-cup. Is the K-cup one size fits all? Would an 8oz cup then be stronger than a 10oz since the 10oz uses more water?

Yes, the 8s are stronger. I brew 10s as I don't use milk. Hubby brews 8s and adds milk.

venja
12-02-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, however my tossup is between the Keurig & Tassimo coffee makers. I'm very impressed that with the Keurig machine, however I just recently tried a Tassimo brewer and I was slightly more impressed because it could make more types of coffees than just a 'regular cup of joe'.

I'm torn between the two because I like the convenience and the fact that you can buy a reusable filter to make your own coffee with the Keurig. On the other hand I really like the fact that I can make a cappuccino/latte/tea/hot chocolate/iced coffee/espresso with the Tassimo.

I never knew that Keurig had a small water reservoir maker... now I'm even more confused.