PDA

View Full Version : If Irina was overrated how was it reflected in results?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Bournekraatzfan
12-13-2010, 07:30 AM
I also thought Slutskaya should have won the 96 GP final instead of Kwan. Kwan fell on a simple triple toe in the short and should have been 5th in the SP, while Irina should have been higher than Choiunard in the SP, which would have given Irina the victory overall. So ultimately I agree with Slutskaya having won 4 GP finals and Michelle 1.

Actually, I thought Josee had a much more complex SP in terms of footwork and transitions (she always had excellent footwork, which really stood out in the women's event--she and Yuka were my favourites in this respect). She had better skating skills, musicality and overall refinement, IMO. I thought she could compete for the gold with any of the ladies.

I was impressed by the difficulty of Irina's spins, and I did find her charming. I miss her

Loves_Shizuka
12-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Slutskaya is one of those skaters I've missed AFTER she's gone. I guess you don't know what you got till it's gone kinda thing. When she was competing I ALWAYS found her overmarked; to be honest, I was kinda baffled by how loved she was by judges. I thought she had a heavy, lumbering, at times, sloppy, style, that wasn't particularly pretty. I was never really a fan of her programmes; I usually preferred her SPs, and her 06 LP was just awful for an OGM favourite IMO. However, since her retirement, I appreciate her massive jumps, athletic style, great spins and FW and her guts in just going out there and going for it. We don't see enough of her gumption and spirit in ladies these days.