PDA

View Full Version : time to confess: do you skip ahead when you read

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jlai
12-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I must admit I skip to the end in, like, every book. I feel :o for being such a bad reader but resistance is futile.

Satellitegirl
12-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Yes, sometimes if I feel like the ending is heading towards an eyerolling ending. I'm glad I skipped to the end of the Time Traveler's Wife. Stopped reading it after I read the ending :P

CynicElle
12-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I do too. (I also read spoilers for TV shows and movies. Self-control: I do not have it.) I tend to reread books I really like anyhow, so knowing the ending isn't a dealbreaker for me.

PDilemma
12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes, sometimes if I feel like the ending is heading towards an eyerolling ending. I'm glad I skipped to the end of the Time Traveler's Wife. Stopped reading it after I read the ending :P

I'm so happy someone else is saying they put that book down. I did the same thing. What I did get through, I found creepy. I felt like he was manipulating a child then teenager and the relationship was wrong on many levels. Not romantic.

What I have learned is if I am wanting to skip ahead, it's not a very good book and I might as well just give up reading it. This is new. I used to be the person who finished any book I started no matter how dreary and boring I found it to be. I have only liberated myself from that in the last few years and it is refreshing.

Nekatiivi
12-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes, especially if the book is bad. Most of the time I never pick it up again... But I do read my favorite books many times.

Veronika
12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, I almost always look at the end of the book. I can't help it.

Allen
12-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I definitely did in graduate school. When I had to get through a 500 page book in a night, I would have to skim and skip quite a bit.

professordeb
12-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Sometimes I do early on in the book, sometimes I check when much later just to see if my predicted ending is likely. Most often than not, I don't check endings but the fact that I do some of the time is something that has developed in my reading in say, about the last 5 or so years. I never used to check endings prior to that.
Good question.

genevieve
12-01-2010, 07:22 PM
nope! as any followers of reality competition threads know, I hate being spoiled :lol:

I do occasionally flip forward to see how many pages until the end of a chapter (I often read before falling asleep) but I try to not read even a single word while doing it :P

Nomad
12-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I do occasionally flip forward to see how many pages until the end of a chapter (I often read before falling asleep) but I try to not read even a single word while doing it :P

Same here. I don't often reread books (I have way too many for that) so I don't care for spoilers.

Wyliefan
12-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I would typically skip all over a book when I was a kid. Finally made myself break the habit. Although at times, if I hit a boring patch, I'll flip just a little ahead to see if things are going to liven up again. :)

Garden Kitty
12-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I don't read ahead, but I love to be spoiled when it comes to movies, tv or sports.

BelleBway
12-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Never. I used to as a pre-teen/teen... back when I went through a tragic period during which school made reading not enjoyable for me. :drama: (Loved reading when I was young... but then being forced to read and take stupid multiple choice tests came close to killing that love)

Sometimes I don't even read the back of the book because I want to be surprised. (I usually read it when I originally decide to read the book, but by the time I actually read it, I've usually forgotten some of the details :shuffle:)

Same here- I read a lot in bed at night, but at other times I may have something to do and need to decide if I have enough time to finish the chapter.

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I frequently sneak a peak ahead because I love being spoiled but rarely skip altogether.

genevieve
12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Same here. I don't often reread books (I have way too many for that) so I don't care for spoilers.
I do re-read books sometimes - even whodunnits! - but the first time I don't want to know where the story is heading. There are books I've been interested in and decided not to read because someone told me the ending - same thing with movies.