PDA

View Full Version : OES Ladies of Days gone by

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

JerseySlore
12-01-2010, 05:18 PM
They are pretty and musical, so yes. Back then there's Kettunen and Drei. :lol:

Damn I was totally going to mention Drei. She, along with Rechnio, Poth and Pavuk, are my favorite OES of yesteryear :saint:

orientalplane
12-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Damn I was totally going to mention Drei. She, along with Rechnio, Poth and Pavuk, are my favorite OES of yesteryear :saint:

Pavuk seems to have fallen apart in recent years, but she definitely should have had a medal at Europeans 2004 with a :kickass: performance in both short and long.

I loved Rechnio, Liashenko, Maniachenko, Dorofejev, Kopac, Babiakova, Wojtala, Lautova, Poth and so many others whose names I can't remember now.

Marco, you're the boring one. :P

Ziggy
12-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I loved Galina Maniachenko > Efremenko. She was always so elegant and did a rockin' one-foot straight line step sequence back in the days when nobody gave a rat's ass about steps. :)

Drei was a hopeless case always skating with a depressed look on her face and showing awful choreography. She actually had one very good program ("Songs from a Distant City" choreographed by Tarasova) but that was it. :P

Wojtala was another head case, who could have achieved so much under better conditions. :(

:eek::eek::eek:

Dude, TAKE VIDEOS!!!! skating at blinding speed is a given with her at any time, but triples up to the lutz 10 years after leaving amateur competition??? What I wouldn't give to see that :swoon:

Any idea why she isn't touring? Is it her decision or are the shows producers just that dumb?

It wasn't expected.

I was at an Adult camp that took place together with the Warsaw camp and she was there as a coach for both.

We always stayed after our practice to watch the skaters. It was the last day, her skaters have gone home already, so she and her partner trained just for fun.

If only we knew, we'd have totally filmed it.

Rechnio toured for years after leaving amateur competition but she wants to settle down now. She has a partner and a child, after all. She started her own club in Warsaw.

Rechnio had two problems.

1. She badly needed a sports psychologist

2. Those of her coaches' generation would be very skeptical of such a thing (that's a wild understatement).

It's still pretty much the same over here. :(

I remember reading in a newspaper that Rechnio actually did some tests and diagnostics but they didn't find anything. It was all neurological though so all it showed was that she wasn't suffering from any illnesses or brain dysfunctions. Working with a psychologist would definitely have helped, I'm sure.

blue_idealist
12-01-2010, 11:26 PM
What exactly does OES stand for?

oleada
12-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Obskure European Skater.

blue_idealist
12-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Btw I don't see anyone mentioning Tatiana Malinina. I remember her really good season.. either 99 or 00 (at 26 years old) .. she won some GPs and then I think the final? And she was seeing Roman Skorniakov.

Mafke
12-01-2010, 11:40 PM
It's still pretty much the same over here. :(

I think it depends on the generation. I can remember when the idea of being able to interpret a person's body language was regarded as some kind of voodoo. And now it's pretty mainstream among younger educated people.

Other European ladies I liked.

Olga Markova - wildly careening between wonderful and cringe inducing and voidaliciousness and never, ever, for a single second boring.

Yulia Lavrenchuk - (for ziggy: didn't she look kind of like Szapołowska?) nice fast high jumps but she didn't last long.

Marion Krijgsman - lots of technical problems but something about her always drew me in to her skating

Nathalie Krieg - favorite spinner ever

Squibble
12-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Btw I don't see anyone mentioning Tatiana Malinina. I remember her really good season.. either 99 or 00 (at 26 years old) .. she won some GPs and then I think the final? And she was seeing Roman Skorniakov.

1. Though born in Russia (the Asian part, in fact), she skated for Uzbekistan (which is in Asia) and thus isn't eligible to be an OES. (If you want to start an OAS thread, feel free, but see #2, below.)

2. She was too successful to be Obskur. :fragile: First at Four Continents, first at the Grand Prix Final, first twice at NHK, and fourth at Worlds.

3. Malinina and Skorniakov are married. AFAIK, they live and work as coaches in Virginia.

Nomad
12-01-2010, 11:55 PM
I'll second poths: Mojca Kopac (SLO). Also Lenka Kulovana (CZE), 1993 Worlds. She rocked the FS with a weird medley of tangos and Carmen IIRC.

JerseySlore
12-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Pavuk seems to have fallen apart in recent years, but she definitely should have had a medal at Europeans 2004 with a :kickass: performance in both short and long.

YES! YES! She was so robbed:mad:

Ankka
12-02-2010, 12:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYNAULzExA

In this one Drei actually showcases brilliant jumps and even some emotion :lol:

all_empty
12-02-2010, 03:55 AM
I believe Dorofejev is the first woman to land a 3T+3Lo combination, too.

Marco
12-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Olga Markova - wildly careening between wonderful and cringe inducing and voidaliciousness and never, ever, for a single second boring.

Love her, but she was not obskure, no?

Yulia Lavrenchuk

Simple yet high quality elements. Too bad she couldn't do a combination jump to save her life and usually pumped and telegraphed for 4 minutes of her 4 minute 10 second programs.

Nathalie Krieg - favorite spinner ever

Love the Swiss maestros! Looking back, Sarah Meier is really the worst spinners of all Swiss ladies to make it to Worlds in recent years (but also the best jumper :rofl:).

briancoogaert
12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
In a week where Lafuente and Meite put OES ladies back on the map, I'm reminding peeps of some OES ladies' performances that could have medalled at worlds had they not been so obskure:

1. Julia Sebesteyen's LP at the 1999 European Championships: No video available, but this was by far the best performance of her career and at the time she had the biggest jumps and easily the best technical content. The judges soon began to take her seriously and whilst she was often undermarked (placing her 6th in the SP of the SLC Olympics as opposed to 2nd which is what she bltantly deserved) it was her nerves and inconsistency that eventually ruined her reutation, not her obskure country status.
Yes, it is : ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLAZpEpQotE

I loved her programs at 1999 Euros. Her SP was very good, too (even with 2 mistakes).

Tak
12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Please add to the list unforgettable Mila Kajas.
94 Olympics Free skate was wonderful.