PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies 2010-11, part deux

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26

Jarrett
01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
I think I am more mad at Nichol than at Flatt. She, of all people, should know how iconic this music is for Michelle. She choreographed all of her programs to this music (94, 96, 99 and 01)! She should also know whether Flatt can carry the music the way Kwan could and what sort of negative reaction the news alone can invoke from the skating community.

As I said in the other thread, the only way this could work is if the program and interpretation are totally different.

Why would you be mad a Flatt at all? Is she doing something to you personally? Or even hurting Michelle someone you admire? I am a uber Michelle fan and while it might be a "sigh" reaction, it is Rachaelís prerogative.

victoriaheidi
01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Well, I don't claim to know what Nicholl is thinking but it seems to me that she'd be more concerned with the judges' reaction, not the fans'.

They're all important. A choreographer should keep all of the factors in mind-and with music like EoE, fan reaction is an important factor.

Sylvia
01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Would it be possible to continue the Flatt/new SP discussion in its own thread in GSD? TIA! Link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76947

Sarah/Drew's Jan. 18 blog for IN had a section on Samantha Cesario's withdrawal:

We had planned to start our preview piece with Eastern sectional champion Samantha Cesario. Unfortunately, she has had to withdraw from the championships with a fractured L5 vertebra.

"I've had pain in my back for quite a while but I was hoping it would subside before nationals," Cesario told us. "When I found out it was a fracture and I would have to withdraw I was devastated. I worked so hard and improved so much this year. I felt completely ready to compete with the best of them at nationals, but things happen. I know my injury will heal and I'll be better than ever next year."

Cesario said she'll be off the ice for six weeks; her future plans are, simply, to get better and get back on the ice to prepare for next season.
I was impressed with Cesario's skating at Easterns, and it's a real shame she can't show her stuff at Nationals this year.

victoriaheidi
01-19-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm kind of sad, since I wanted to see Cesario at jr. worlds; hopefully, she'll still pick up some JGPs next season.

Jenna
01-20-2011, 12:37 AM
I was sad to hear the news too. I particularly enjoy her SP and it looked like she was finally getting around on those triple jumps consistently in Aston.

I hope USFS still considers her for JGPs next season as well. Is this likely, Sylvia?

chipso1
01-20-2011, 02:01 AM
I hope USFS still considers her for JGPs next season as well. Is this likely, Sylvia?

Maybe, but most likely not. There's an insane amount of talented girls (both junior and seniors) vying for JGP spots for 2011-12.

Ditto for Angela Wang, who also finished 4th at her JGP event this season but didn't qualify for Nationals. I can't imagine she'll be given a spot, but then again it's early.

Really bummed for Cesario. :( Her jumps have improved with each competition this season and I think she had a legitimate chance at cracking the top 10 this year.

Jenna
01-20-2011, 02:08 AM
:( I really, really hope TPTB watched her Sectional performances carefully. Hopefully she can compete at Liberty in July and impress some USFS bigwigs there.

Debbie S
01-20-2011, 02:33 AM
:( I really, really hope TPTB watched her Sectional performances carefully. Hopefully she can compete at Liberty in July and impress some USFS bigwigs there.There is precedent: last season, Alex Zahradnicek received a JGP assignment after his performance at Liberty, even though he hadn't competed (didn't qualify) at Nats the year before. But that was before the USFSA created the "International Selection Pool". My understanding is that they decide who goes in the pool, so it's not strictly based on Nats finishes, but I think if a skater doesn't get in there, they have no chance at an int'l assignment. And with so many talented junior and senior ladies, Samantha may not make the cut.

haribobo
01-20-2011, 02:41 AM
There is precedent: last season, Alex Zahradnicek received a JGP assignment after his performance at Liberty, even though he hadn't competed (didn't qualify) at Nats the year before.

Alex did get a little lucky in that there were several JGP-ineligible men from Nationals 2010 in the Junior and Senior men field. I don't think that will ever happen in ladies- basically all the ladies at Nationals in junior and novice are JGP eligible, and some among the seniors as well.

victoriaheidi
01-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Well, she's on the "Reserve Team" this year (along with Angela Wang and Felicia Zhang) and she still got a JGP assignment, so I guess it's possible.

chipso1
01-20-2011, 03:54 AM
Well, she's on the "Reserve Team" this year (along with Angela Wang and Felicia Zhang) and she still got a JGP assignment, so I guess it's possible.

That's different than the International Selection Pool (ISP).

pinky166
01-20-2011, 04:50 AM
Maybe, but most likely not. There's an insane amount of talented girls (both junior and seniors) vying for JGP spots for 2011-12.

Ditto for Angela Wang, who also finished 4th at her JGP event this season but didn't qualify for Nationals. I can't imagine she'll be given a spot, but then again it's early.

Really bummed for Cesario. :( Her jumps have improved with each competition this season and I think she had a legitimate chance at cracking the top 10 this year.

Cesario qualified for nationals, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was given JGP and/or Senior B, or even a host spot at SA, next season pending summer results. As for Wang, she's in a similar situation to Agnes last season in that I doubt she'll receive international assignments where she failed to qualify for nationals this season, although there's still a good chance she could be sent to junior worlds if she qualifies for and skates well at nationals next season. That's probably the earliest she can hope to compete internationally though.

Sylvia
01-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Unfortunately, another withdrawal was announced today (originally posted in the "Skater Withdrawals" thread in the 2011 US Nationals forum in Kiss and Cry):

Amanda Dobbs has withdrawn from the 2011 U.S. Champs due to injury. Just tweeted by USfigureskating.
:(

Since Amanda had a bye, she will not be replaced and the Senior Ladies' field is down to 24 (4 groups of 6).

RD
01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Oh damn, that's too bad.

Sylvia
01-20-2011, 11:27 PM
I really don't know at this point, but since Cesario did qualify for Nationals, she should be considered if she looks strong in competition this summer.

There is precedent: last season, Alex Zahradnicek received a JGP assignment after his performance at Liberty, even though he hadn't competed (didn't qualify) at Nats the year before.
Just to clarify -- Zahradnicek was assigned a JGP following Liberty in July 2009 after not having qualified for 2009 Nationals in junior men. But there were fewer JGP age-eligible guys from which to choose, which helped his case.

But that was before the USFSA created the "International Selection Pool". My understanding is that they decide who goes in the pool, so it's not strictly based on Nats finishes, but I think if a skater doesn't get in there, they have no chance at an int'l assignment. And with so many talented junior and senior ladies, Samantha may not make the cut.
Yes, there's always a much bigger pool of JGP age-eligible US ladies every year compared to men/pairs/dance, so not being able to compete at Nationals is a tough blow. Side note: Katz/Lynch withdrew from 2010 Nationals due to her injury and were placed in the ISP this season. However, they didn't end up receiving an international assignment this fall.

Actually, skaters/teams got placed in the Reserve Team envelope this season only after they were assigned an international. Cesario, Wang and F. Zhang were placed in the ISP last spring or early summer and therefore eligible to be considered for a JGP.