PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies 2010-11, part deux

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

AliasJohnDoe
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
What if Rachael did a "tribute program" to Michelle and actually skated the same or very similar choreography to Michelle's program? Has that ever been done in the history of the sport?

I'd like to see Alissa do a tribute to Katarina Witt's "Robin Hood" SP. Same costume too. :rollin:

gkelly
01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
What if Rachael did a "tribute program" to Michelle and actually skated the same or very similar choreography to Michelle's program? Has that ever been done in the history of the sport? I would think that would actually take the pressure off of making it her own and be judged on the elements she can complete.

We've certainly seen lower level skaters choose music and a costumes and a few choreographic details in emulation of their skating idols. You could consider them tribute programs, but it's not as if the skaters doing the tribute were going to be competing in televised events.

I've seen several skaters who worked with John Curry as kids or were inspired by his skating choose to skate to Don Quixote in tribute to his 1976 long program, but they didn't imitate the choreography. Aside, perhaps, from choosing to imitate some of the same typical ballet arm positions, etc.

victoriaheidi
01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Universal Sports' Q&A with Yasmin Siraj (at age 14 she's the youngest Senior lady at this year's Nationals): http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=510806.html
Her photo gallery includes a young Yasmin playing the piano: http://www.universalsports.com/photos/galleryid=509933.html#spotlight+yasmin+siraj

So excited for Yasmin. Can't wait to see her perform at nats!

orbitz
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
What if Rachael did a "tribute program" to Michelle and actually skated the same or very similar choreography to Michelle's program? Has that ever been done in the history of the sport? I would think that would actually take the pressure off of making it her own and be judged on the elements she can complete.

Rachael and Lori have to pack the SP for maximum COP points, so I don't think they can make the choreography similar to Michelle's even if they wanted to.

Jarrett
01-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Rachael and Lori have to pack the SP for maximum COP points, so I don't think they can make the choreography similar to Michelle's even if they wanted to.

Really? Looking back at the program I could see minor changes and of course the spiral sequence has to go but I dunno. I could see the beginning staying the same. I guess we will hear the practice reports soon.

AHHHHH I can't wait for Nationals. I think I am leaving work early on Thursday to watch the short programs online. :rollin:

Side note - Another vote for Alissa doing Witt's Robin Hood. :D

Frau Muller
01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
I vote for tiny Yasmin Shiraj skating a tribute to tiny Tara Lipinsky.

RD
01-18-2011, 08:58 PM

Gotta be careful there. Could also backfire.

Jarrett
01-18-2011, 09:13 PM

Well of course but I honestly would love to see someone do it. Others have used music that Michelle has used like the Red Violin and honestly I would have perferred if they just skate the program the same as Michelle. lol

victoriaheidi
01-19-2011, 12:27 AM

Agreed. I just don't see that ending well.

Karpenko
01-19-2011, 03:12 AM
That's honestly the worst possible thing for a top skater to do if they are using "someone elses signature music", IMO.

Remember when Kwan skated to Bolero, which wasn't even an ice dance team, how much sh!t she got for it because it was "T&D's" masterpiece? Well imagine how many more pages our Kwan threads that year would've been if she ripped off the choreography, too. :wall:

No, no, no, no, no thank you and have a good night. :coffee:

Marco
01-19-2011, 09:54 AM

I think I am more mad at Nichol than at Flatt. She, of all people, should know how iconic this music is for Michelle. She choreographed all of her programs to this music (94, 96, 99 and 01)! She should also know whether Flatt can carry the music the way Kwan could and what sort of negative reaction the news alone can invoke from the skating community.

As I said in the other thread, the only way this could work is if the program and interpretation are totally different.

reese
01-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Nichol has totally been mailing it in for a few years now, let's be honest. With a few exceptions, she has been a shell of her former self when it comes to her choreography. Long gone are the days when she spent months going through CDs (back in the days of CDs) looking for perfect pieces of music for Michelle. And given what she charges for her choreography these days it's pretty incredible that she gets away with reusing the same music over and over again.

Nomad
01-19-2011, 04:47 PM
I doubt that Nicholl factors in "potential fan reaction" when she picks a skater's music. Why would she?

victoriaheidi
01-19-2011, 05:10 PM
I doubt that Nicholl factors in "potential fan reaction" when she picks a skater's music. Why would she?

Because she's working for a skater whose fans will react to the music in some way. If she's not thinking about it, she isn't doing her clients any favors.

Nomad
01-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Well, I don't claim to know what Nicholl is thinking but it seems to me that she'd be more concerned with the judges' reaction, not the fans'.