PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies 2010-11, part deux

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

pinky166
12-31-2010, 04:56 PM
That's why i hope Amanda doesn't go back to Pairs skating. Without that she can focus on just singles skating and increase her technical content. Something about her style of skating makes me smile.

In some ways though where she doesn't have the most content right now she could potentially be better in pairs. And she is nice as a pairs skater as well, she really stands out where she and her old partner were on the taller side for pairs skaters, they had a nice long limbed look.

I hope she can get 3lz and 3lo though because then she really could be a threat in singles.

victoriaheidi
12-31-2010, 05:09 PM
In some ways though where she doesn't have the most content right now she could potentially be better in pairs. And she is nice as a pairs skater as well, she really stands out where she and her old partner were on the taller side for pairs skaters, they had a nice long limbed look.

I hope she can get 3lz and 3lo though because then she really could be a threat in singles.

I don't think she wanted to stop doing pairs, so I wouldn't be shocked if she went back to it. But for now, I'd love to see her work on improving her singles technique.

pinky166
12-31-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't think she wanted to stop doing pairs, so I wouldn't be shocked if she went back to it. But for now, I'd love to see her work on improving her singles technique.

Yeah I know Joe was the one who ended the partnership, not her. Though she has yet to land it in competition she's landed some nice looking 3flips in warmups and practices!

RD
12-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Dobbs isn't doing pairs any more?? Also I heard mention of Felicia Zhang, I thought she was a pairs skater?

Sylvia
12-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Dobbs isn't doing pairs any more??
No, she and Jacobsen split earlier this year (their last competition together was the Indy Challenge club competition this summer). It appears to me that Dobbs doesn't have the same momentum heading into Nationals as she did last year when she won a Senior B bronze medal in singles at Ice Challenge. Attempting to add technical difficulty to her singles programs (ETA: she hasn't yet landed the 3F cleanly in either her SP or FS at Finlandia Trophy and Cup of China) may be one reason for her early season results, but I wonder if her ability to juggle both singles and pairs was one of the keys to her success in both events at 2010 Nationals?

Also I heard mention of Felicia Zhang, I thought she was a pairs skater?
Felicia was 6th in Junior at 2010 Nationals and competed in one JGP in singles this fall, along with 3 senior internationals in pairs (Nebelhorn and 2 GPs). Zhang will be making her Senior Ladies debut at Nationals and is the only Senior lady competing in 2 disciplines in Greensboro.

ETA: Mary Beth Marley (Junior Ladies/Senior Pairs) and Ashley Cain (Junior Ladies/Junior Pairs) are the other 2-discipline skaters at Nationals.

victoriaheidi
12-31-2010, 07:22 PM
It appears to me that Dobbs doesn't have the same momentum heading into Nationals as she did last year when she won a Senior B bronze medal in singles at Ice Challenge. Attempting to add technical difficulty to her singles programs (ETA: she hasn't yet landed the 3F cleanly in either her SP or FS at Finlandia Trophy and Cup of China) may be one reason for her early season results, but I wonder if her ability to juggle both singles and pairs was one of the keys to her success in both events at 2010 Nationals?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the last sentence, but I agree with the earlier sentiments.

RD
12-31-2010, 07:24 PM
^ Interesting. Thanks.

chipso1
12-31-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the last sentence, but I agree with the earlier sentiments.

Perhaps Sylvia means that Dobbs was kept so busy in Spokane, that she didn't have time to get nervous? Also, by the time of the ladies event, she had already been in town for a week, adjusted to the hotel/arena/ice conditions, and felt the "pressure" of competing in a championship event, so she knew what to expect in regards to cameras, the backstage atmosphere, etc.

smarts1
12-31-2010, 10:08 PM
^ I'm not sure Jenny and Todd can take Amanda up to the next level technically. Amanda needs help getting the full set of triples, so she'll need to go to a jump coach of some sort. Her flip technique is a little odd, which explains why she still hasn't landed it yet in competition.

pinky166
12-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Perhaps Sylvia means that Dobbs was kept so busy in Spokane, that she didn't have time to get nervous? Also, by the time of the ladies event, she had already been in town for a week, adjusted to the hotel/arena/ice conditions, and felt the "pressure" of competing in a championship event, so she knew what to expect in regards to cameras, the backstage atmosphere, etc.

She was also probably really tired by the time the ladies event came around at nationals, and it was said she had a cold, so really, in some ways you could expect her to perform better this year than she did last year.

essence_of_soy
12-31-2010, 11:18 PM
I remember seeing Dobbs skate at the junior level in 2009, and being struck by her on ice presence. In spite of her inconsistency, she really had the most beautiful technique, if that makes sense.

I wonder if she is working on her 3toe / 3toe again. She landed several in the short program warm - up in Cleveland.

Sylvia
12-31-2010, 11:36 PM
I was just musing that maybe Dobbs was riding high, confidence-wise, after doing so well in the Senior Pairs event (7th) at 2010 Nationals that all the positive energy and feelings from that result may have carried over into her Senior Ladies event and inspired her further. :) Dobbs skated cleanly with the easier triples plus her excellent 2A and presentation skills in the Ladies SP to make the final group, while quite a few of the expected Olympic/World team contendors with the harder triples were not able to skate clean. ETA: Training and competing in both pairs and singles simultaneously often can benefit a skater in different ways, and I don't know if Dobbs is being affected this season by focusing on singles only.

I remember seeing Dobbs skate at the junior level in 2009, and being struck by her on ice presence. In spite of her inconsistency, she really had the most beautiful technique, if that makes sense.
Dobbs was coached by Tammy Gambill at 2008 and 2009 Nationals, and she is known for teaching solid jump technique. BTW, it was posted earlier in this thread that Dobbs has mentioned via her formspring that she is practicing the 3T+3T again.

victoriaheidi
01-01-2011, 03:03 AM
I was just musing that maybe Dobbs was riding high, confidence-wise, after doing so well in the Senior Pairs event (7th) at 2010 Nationals that all the positive energy and feelings from that result may have carried over into her Senior Ladies event and inspired her further. :) Dobbs skated cleanly with the easier triples plus her excellent 2A and presentation skills in the Ladies SP to make the final group, while quite a few of the expected Olympic/World team contendors with the harder triples were not able to skate clean. ETA: Training and competing in both pairs and singles simultaneously often can benefit a skater in different ways, and I don't know if Dobbs is being affected this season by focusing on singles only.

Oh, well in that case, I agree!

She definitely looked happy at Nats. I think the excitement carried over to 4CC (admittedly, it was later in the week, but still). I think the end of her pairs career was disappointing to her.

pinky166
01-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Amanda is a very good competitor in general, and I think that should work in her favor at nationals.

Stephanie
01-01-2011, 04:01 PM
^ I'm not sure Jenny and Todd can take Amanda up to the next level technically. Amanda needs help getting the full set of triples, so she'll need to go to a jump coach of some sort. Her flip technique is a little odd, which explains why she still hasn't landed it yet in competition.

John Nicks is listed as one of her coaches on her IN profile (Nicks, Meno, and Sand all coach at Aliso Viejo), so hopefully he can help in this department.