PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies 2010-11, part deux

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

victoriaheidi
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
The hype is one thing (I can take a certain amount of it), but the over-the-top, never-ending gushing and refusing to accept any sort of criticism is what slowly turns me against a skater.

But it's not the skater refusing to accept the criticism. It's the fan(s).

I see what you're saying and I know that it bugs me, too, but I wouldn't root against a skater because other people were gushing/hyping that person up.

RD
12-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Yes, I understand it all comes from the fans. But it's not like I'm actively deciding "Oh, this skater is hyped to the moon, I hope she falls"...it's more of a sub-conscious thing. That said, though, in practice it has only happened to me once.

victoriaheidi
12-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes, I understand it all comes from the fans. But it's not like I'm actively deciding "Oh, this skater is hyped to the moon, I hope she falls"...it's more of a sub-conscious thing. That said, though, in practice it has only happened to me once.

Ok, that makes more sense.

For me, when things get over-hyped, I just tend to lose interest. During 2010 Nats, I felt like I was watching the Sasha show at times, to the point that I really wasn't all that interested when Sasha actually skated. Not that I wasn't a Sasha fan, but there were 11 other girls on the broadcast, and all the commentators wanted to talk about was Sasha.

RD
12-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Actually, NBC paid less attention to her than I THOUGHT they would. Like the way they practically made their 2002 SLC telecast The Kwan Show. They would sooner show backstage footage of her warming up, doing whatever, showing her family members in the audience, rather than concentrating on the skater actually on the ice, or waiting for her marks.

pinky166
12-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I KNOW Rachael was bad at the GPF, but that was ONE competition. I have a hard time believing that someone whose nickname is "Rachael the Rock" would fall out of the top five at her own Nationals.

Also, the swap I see as more likely is Dobbs for Zawadzki, but that's one I'm not sure about.

But Zawadzki is already in the final group in my predictions...:confused:
She's usually good in the SP anyway...I could see her falling out of the top 6 overall due to an error-ridden FS, but her 3t-3t and 3lz will get huge GOEs if she hits them in the SP. I also placed Gao in the final warmup group instead of some others because she will probably go for 3f-3t, or at least 3t-3t in which case she'd do 3f out of steps, so either way she should get good GOEs on the jumps b/c she won't be doing a lutz in either case and her 3f, 3t, and 3lo are her best jumps. She's been strong in the FS all season so I think the SP will be the big test for her.

Also, contrary to popular belief, I've had a reality check about Christina after the JGPF and don't think she will win nationals or make the World team this season (though I'm still hoping she pulls an upset and makes it). I think she has a great shot at being on the podium in 3rd or 4th though and being assigned to 4CC or Junior Worlds.

As for Rachael, downgrades are now a major factor for her, so she may be at the mercy of the caller in which case she could end up OTP without even skating poorly to the blind eye.

olympic
12-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Also, contrary to popular belief, I've had a reality check about Christina ...

:eek: JK ;)

RD
12-30-2010, 09:45 PM
:lol:

pinky166
12-30-2010, 09:49 PM
:eek: JK ;)

Oh come on, 3rd or 4th place at nationals is NOT unreasonable for her! She was 5th last season and has improved a lot since then. Plus it seems like most of the "favorites" won't be attempting 3-3s this year and Christina can do two types of 3-3s that are beautiful when she hits them (which she usually does).

RD
12-30-2010, 09:51 PM
^ No, it's not unreasonable. But I really think that at least this year, she's at the mercy of how some of the top skaters do. Remember, last year Czisny and Zhang bombed which made room for Gao to sneak into the top 5.

pinky166
12-30-2010, 09:55 PM
^ No, it's not unreasonable. But I really think that at least this year, she's at the mercy of how some of the top skaters do. Remember, last year Czisny and Zhang bombed which made room for Gao to sneak into the top 5.

I sort of doubt all 4 of Nagasu, Czisny, Wagner, and Flatt will skate well, and realistically Christina is better than Rachael at this point and probably Ashley too. Even if all of them DID skate well she could still probably finish 3rd or 4th, behind Mirai and Alissa, ahead of Rachael, and either ahead of or behind Ashley.

triple_toe
12-30-2010, 10:19 PM
I sort of doubt all 4 of Nagasu, Czisny, Wagner, and Flatt will skate well, and realistically Christina is better than Rachael at this point and probably Ashley too. Even if all of them DID skate well she could still probably finish 3rd or 4th, behind Mirai and Alissa, ahead of Rachael, and either ahead of or behind Ashley.

No, Christina Gao is not better than Ashley or Rachael. Has she made the gpf? Medalled on the GP circuit? Medalled at Junior worlds? Medalled at nationals? No. Competitions decide who is better. What skaters can do in practice means nothing. Being a good skater isn't just doing jumps in practice, a large part of it is mental strength and consistency in competition. Actually, almost *all* of it is consistency in competition. I don't care how Christina, or anyone else, skates in practice; if they can't perform under pressure, they are worse skaters than those who can, sorry. Is Christina better than Michelle Kwan, just because Michelle Kwan couldn't do a triple flip-triple toe? Of course not. Because Michelle won an incredible amount of medals. Was Rohene Ward the best skater in the world just because he could jump amazingly well in practice? No, because he couldn't compete.

Once Christina starts beating Ashley and Rachael, then she will be better than they are. Until then, she's behind them.

pinky166
12-30-2010, 10:27 PM
^^ Well Christina hasn't competed against Ashley or Rachael internationally yet, so it's hard to say definitively. Anyways what I meant was that she has better jumps in terms of quality and difficult combinations compared to Rachael and Ashley, but of course, jumps are not everything.

triple_toe
12-30-2010, 10:35 PM
^^ Well Christina hasn't competed against Ashley or Rachael internationally yet, so it's hard to say definitively. Anyways what I meant was that she has better jumps in terms of quality and difficult combinations compared to Rachael and Ashley, but of course, jumps are not everything.

:) I do think she is very talented, don't get me wrong. And I think she definitely has the potential to be better than Rachael and Ashley over time, but she is a spoiler at this point, not a member of the big four (Rachael, Ashley, Mirai, Alissa). We'll all see at Nationals anyway.

RD
12-30-2010, 10:36 PM
The point is that this is how it stands RIGHT NOW. of course things could change later, but there is an established elite senior group in the US and Gao is not there yet. I see her the way I saw Flatt in 2007. She had the makings of getting to the top, but was still working her way there. Until then, she was nothing but a spoiler. Meissner and Hughes (the elite at the time) were still a step above her. Of course, that would change the following year. Again, I think it will be 2012 before Gao breaks mainstream, assuming she it happens for her of course.

chipso1
12-30-2010, 11:21 PM
and realistically Christina is better than Rachael at this point and probably Ashley too.

Umm, no. A clean Gao is absolutely NOT better than a clean Wagner at this point in time. I love Christina, but her skating skills, spins, extension and interpretation are far below Ashley. When Ashley's "on" (as in her CoR FS) she'd be tough for Gao to beat technically, too (though they both share a similar flaw in flutzing).