PDA

View Full Version : Katherine Healy..How good could she have been?

Pages : [1] 2

DarrellH
11-30-2010, 06:06 PM
I remember seeing her skate and just thought of her again today. If she had stayed in skating, instead of going to the ballet, how good could she have been? She seemed very focused and gifted.

orbitz
11-30-2010, 07:16 PM
She couldn't jump. I mean she could do some double jumps, but they were far from text-book. I doubted she would've been able to do even a triple toe or sal with those long limbs of hers. She looked great with the non-jump elements though.

aliceanne
11-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I've seen her in person, she is quite tiny. She was doing beautiful double axels at 11.

However, from what I've heard, ballet dancers are discouraged from doing sports because the muscles they develop distort their lines and inhibit their stretch - so she was probably discouraged from training too much at skating at an early age.

At any rate I can't picture her grabbing her foot, pulling it next to her ear, and displaying her crotch to the audience. I don't think competitive skating would have been for her!

gkelly
11-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, she would have been competing in the 1980s, when there was less reward for those kinds of positions.

And she still would have been doing high arabesque spirals that display the crotch.

If she had beautiful double axels at 11, then she probably had the athletic talent to be relatively successful in 1980s competition if she had focused on training for skating over ballet. World-team level, probably not. Nationals/minor internationals? Could be.

leafygreens
11-30-2010, 10:35 PM
At any rate I can't picture her grabbing her foot, pulling it next to her ear, and displaying her crotch to the audience. I don't think competitive skating would have been for her!

Why not? She could do the oversplits in a split jump, so why couldn't she do an I-spin?

essence_of_soy
11-30-2010, 10:49 PM
If anyone has seen Healey's Don Quixote skate from around 1997, it is simply magic.

But yes, if she'd competed, remember that U.S ladies were a world powerhouse in the 80s.

So, to compete against the likes of Zayak, Sumners, Thomas and Kadavy, she would have needed a 3sal, 3toe, 3loop, and maybe a 3flip.

aliceanne
11-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Why not? She could do the oversplits in a split jump, so why couldn't she do an I-spin?

I was thinking of that move where they glide on one foot and grab their blade and pull their foot next to their head. I think that is the most unattractive move anyone can do. I assume people do it for points. I can't picture her wanting to do it.

I'm not a big fan of catch foot moves period. I think many people do them to disguise poor extension and stretch which obviously isn't a problem for her.

aliceanne
11-30-2010, 11:09 PM
If she had beautiful double axels at 11, then she probably had the athletic talent to be relatively successful in 1980s competition if she had focused on training for skating over ballet. World-team level, probably not. Nationals/minor internationals? Could be.[/QUOTE]

Maybe pairs with John Curry? :)

DarrellH
11-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Were they even doing I-spins then? Since this would have been pre-Oksana and pre-Sasha, Her balletic sytle would have been newer and probably well received.

gkelly
11-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Were they even doing I-spins then?

Not that I know of. There were occasional Biellmanns (ever since Denise, natch), high catch-foot camels, and Y spins but not with full split that I can recall.

Spirals weren't a required element until 1989.

Rory Flack is the most flexible skater of the era I think of. Can't find any of her amateur performances online though.

Artifice
12-01-2010, 09:10 AM
If KH had the double axel at 11 I don't see why she couldn't have the 3 salchow and 3 toe loop, at least. Once one has the 2A, the 3S is not far, and the 3T neither. Having the atlhletic hability to land a hard jump at 11 gives hopes for triple jumps.
To perform competitively in FS she would have had to give up ballet because the muscles training is so different, intensive training of both can't work IMO from a certain level.

She made a choice and as ballet dancer she actually reached a very high level, winning prestigious awards at a very young age. As a skater she would have probably been brilliant. As for being an international competitor, I don't know since many other aspects are to take into account, starting from the mental strenght to do the jumps when it counts, as well as the field of competitors, and the will to just compete. But she seemed to have what was needed to do well in FS.

Marco
12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
She was a vision but IIRC she was also painfully slow.

gkelly
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah.

If she'd focused her training on skating she might have ended up skating faster and jumping higher than she did. Probably still not at the level of the best in the world.

Most likely her strengths would have been school figures and the second mark.

fan
12-01-2010, 04:57 PM
does anyone have a link to a skating video?

Mafke
12-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Forget the jumps, how were her figures? Those took a lot of time to develop and without them any jumping problems would have been moot.

She probably could have gotten very good at them but there are only so many hours in the day and ballet and freeskating wouldn't leave much time for her to develop world class elite figures....