PDA

View Full Version : Which US ladies will make the World Team?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

olympic
12-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Regardless of who makes the world team, I'm hopeful that the US can get 3 spots back. They've been awfully close the last 2 seasons-

Despite it all, Alissa was a ur'd 3 loop in the LP short of 8th place at '09 Worlds, which combined with Rachael's 5th place would've given the US 13 pts. for '09 - '10.

Mirai was a 2x away from the podium even with that mess of an LP, combined with Rachael's 9th place finish, it would've given the US 12 pts.

Hope springs eternal....:wall:

judgejudy27
12-02-2010, 03:30 PM
I think it will be Nagasu and Wagner, with maybe Czisny sneaking in. I know she made the GP final but I have a feeling Flatt will end being off the team this year. Particularly if she doesnt do well at the actual final or skate her best at Natioanls. I dont think the USFSA will be too swayed by her showings on the grand prix when she clearly was in the weakest events, and in skating well it only showed her very limited scoring potential relative to the elite skaters as she could not even beat a junior skater with mistakes (Murakami) or Kostner with 80s jump content and mistakes. I dont think after last year they will be as inclined to want to market her as their top skater going into a major event regardless if she is doing fairly well in small events and continuing to be consistent.

olympic
12-02-2010, 03:40 PM
I think it will be Nagasu and Wagner, with maybe Czisny sneaking in. I know she made the GP final but I have a feeling Flatt will end being off the team this year. Particularly if she doesnt do well at the actual final or skate her best at Natioanls. I dont think the USFSA will be too swayed by her showings on the grand prix when she clearly was in the weakest events, and in skating well it only showed her very limited scoring potential relative to the elite skaters as she could not even beat a junior skater with mistakes (Murakami) or Kostner with 80s jump content and mistakes. I dont think after last year they will be as inclined to want to market her as their top skater going into a major event regardless if she is doing fairly well in small events and continuing to be consistent.

^Well, remember, she was skating with a nagging injury - Tendonitis and still won the LP both times even without any 3-3, which reportedly is planned later this season.

Depending on how much deference the judges give her as defending champ at Nats, I have to say she's just as solid a prospect as Nagasu, Wagner and Czisny. Remember of those 4, Czisny is capable of the biggest skating disasters so it could be down to only solid Flatt v. just Wagner and Nagasu.

Polymer Bob
12-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I feel that we don't have a definitave top lady at the moment. That may change after the GP Final. If not, then then the World team will be decided solely by what happens at Nationals. It is shaping up to be an exciting event.

PUNKPRINCESS
12-02-2010, 05:36 PM
I voted for Mirai and Rachel. Mirai because she has the most potential to medal, Rachel because they need some they can count on to deliver the jumps (and not leave the US with just one skater at next year's worlds, ala Kerrigan).

I also think Czisny has a good shot at it, she been skating so well this season, and she's her skating is so COP friendly. But she'll really have to prove she's not a head case at GPF and Nats.
Yeah, I'm predicting Mirai and Rachael, unless Czisny can bring it at the GPF and Nationals. Then, I think they might bump Mirai off and do Rachael and Czisny.

olympic
12-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Drives me crazy. Because there are aspects of all 4 ladies [Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner, Czisny] which I really can appreciate, and the fact that 2 of the 4 will be left off the team makes me :(

I wouldn't feel crushed for either Gao or Zawadzki not making it because they are newcomers to the Sr. scene and have plenty of time left

HSGP21
12-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Mirai and whomever places higher in the GPF (especially if whoever that is medals...)

RockTheTassel
12-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Mirai and whomever places higher in the GPF (especially if whoever that is medals...)

Just curious, why do you think the GPF is going to have so much influence? Last year, the GPF wasn't enough to give the third place finisher at nationals the nod for the Olympics and Worlds. Granted, she didn't medal, but she wasn't last either.

pinky166
12-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Just curious, why do you think the GPF is going to have so much influence? Last year, the GPF wasn't enough to give the third place finisher at nationals the nod for the Olympics and Worlds. Granted, she didn't medal, but she wasn't last either.

Yeah but Ashley skated pretty much the best she could at the GPF and still couldn't medal, and only ended up 4th because Rochette and Leonova bombed badly. Had those two skated as well as Ashley did there, Ashley definitely would have finished in 5th or maybe even 6th place. Plus her score was only 161ish which wasn't a big increase from her scores put up at her earlier GP events that season, and she wasn't even close to being in 3rd place points wise, let alone 2nd or 1st even though Yuna and Miki did not skate very well.

I think Mirai skating so well at nationals also played a factor, had she made any visible mistakes, Ashley may have been given the nod over her, but Mirai was awesome and most people thought she deserved to win the title.

LilJen
12-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Drives me crazy. Because there are aspects of all 4 ladies [Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner, Czisny] which I really can appreciate, and the fact that 2 of the 4 will be left off the team makes me :(

I wouldn't feel crushed for either Gao or Zawadzki not making it because they are newcomers to the Sr. scene and have plenty of time left

Clearly it's time for the USFS to get a new morphing tool out. Create a NagaFlatt and a CzisnyFlatt and we'll win. :lol:

heo-wikki
12-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Clearly it's time for the USFS to get a new morphing tool out. Create a NagaFlatt and a CzisnyFlatt and we'll win. :lol:

Great idea. A CzisnyFlatt could win the gold.

HSGP21
12-03-2010, 12:39 AM

Last year at Nationals Mirai and Rachel were clearly the best out of relatively unknown field (minus Sasha Cohen, who bombed the long)...This year, Mirai has made a name for herself on the world scene, so I think USFS will want her to go and continue to do that.

Rachel and Alissa have both won national titles, but have not 'hit the big time' internationally... placing well at the GPF would show they can hold their own in an international field, giving USFS a reason to send them to worlds....likely a last worlds for either given Alissa's age and Rachel's college plans.

If Ashley were going to push through, it would have had to be years ago... I don't think it will ever happen at this point. USFS has no reason to promote her, as she has not had major success yet and is not being primed for future success. Christina and Agnes are too young...give them more experience and either could (and should) be on the world team next year.

centerpt1
12-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Not a prediction- but a hope (and how I voted)

1. Alissa, 2. Ashley

Alissa, if she hits her jumps, is without equal in US ladies. Ashley is very determined, and it's time for her skating luck to change.

pinky166
12-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Last year at Nationals Mirai and Rachel were clearly the best out of relatively unknown field (minus Sasha Cohen, who bombed the long)...This year, Mirai has made a name for herself on the world scene, so I think USFS will want her to go and continue to do that.

Rachel and Alissa have both won national titles, but have not 'hit the big time' internationally... placing well at the GPF would show they can hold their own in an international field, giving USFS a reason to send them to worlds....likely a last worlds for either given Alissa's age and Rachel's college plans.

If Ashley were going to push through, it would have had to be years ago... I don't think it will ever happen at this point. USFS has no reason to promote her, as she has not had major success yet and is not being primed for future success. Christina and Agnes are too young...give them more experience and either could (and should) be on the world team next year.

I actually agree about Ashley. It's too bad she didn't do better at NHK because then she'd be at the GPF and have another shot to prove herself.

As for Christina and Agnes, I would like to see them both assigned to 4CC regardless of if they go to Worlds/Jr. Worlds or not because I think it would give them a good opportunity to build up their international reputation and hopefully get some good result at a major international competition that isn't on the junior level and isn't worlds where placements often tend to be based on reputation.

FunnyBut
12-03-2010, 01:43 AM
^Well, remember, she was skating with a nagging injury - Tendonitis and still won the LP both times even without any 3-3, which reportedly is planned later this season.

Czisny has been planning that 3-3 for the last decade. Great for her that she is doing so well this season, still I think for her 5 clean triples would be a nearly ideal skate, with no 3-3. It's something else for USFS to consider, that Flatt and Nagasu could land 6-7 triples, while that's almost impossible for Czisny. Although Csizny with 4-5 triples could be competitive with Flatt with 6-7 triples.