PDA

View Full Version : Which US ladies will make the World Team?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

Jammers
12-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Is Amanda Dobbs still skating pairs? I hope she isn't so she can concentrate on singles and up her technical content. She has a beautiful style on the ice and can only get better.

chipso1
12-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Is Amanda Dobbs still skating pairs? I hope she isn't so she can concentrate on singles and up her technical content. She has a beautiful style on the ice and can only get better.

Dobbs and Jacobsen are not currently skating together, IIRC.

olympic
12-12-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm posting things as a I think of them -

Considering Czisny at GPF, Zawadzki with a 3-3 in the SP, and the fact that Wagner is attempting a 3-3 in the SP, I wonder if FC will have Mirai also go for a 3-3 again at nats in the SP.

I didn't see the protocols, but was Mirai's 58.72 pts. at TEB with a UR? Perhaps then FC will not try to include it if that's the case. He can be conservative: Mirai can be closer to and be more consistent than Alissa if she indeed had a UR. She would have an SP score in the low 60s completely clean like Alissa.

smarts1
12-13-2010, 02:11 AM
^ No she got an edge call on the lutz, so she lost about a point on it.

The thing about Alissa's jumps this season is that she may be staying on her feet, but she's not actually getting much height. As a result many of her triples look short (especially the flip). I also think that her second toe loop in the GPF LP should have been DG.

pinky166
12-13-2010, 02:15 AM

She is currently not skating pairs and will start looking for a new partner after nationals. I wonder if she will have trouble finding a partner though, she seems quite tall, especially for pairs.

Also she is working on her 3t-3t combo and may try it in her SP at nationals. If she hits it, she could probably do 3s as her jump out of steps instead of the 3f which doesn't seem consistent yet, and still be competitive.

Sylvia
12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Also she is working on her 3t-3t combo and may try it in her SP at nationals.
Just curious, is there an article link about Dobbs' 3T+3T or another source for this?

Back to the original topic... I think there should be a new poll now that Czisny has won the GPF. ;)

pinky166
12-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Just curious, is there an article link about Dobbs' 3T+3T or another source for this?

Back to the original topic... I think there should be a new poll now that Czisny has won the GPF. ;)

http://www.formspring.me/jellybeansk8r
Someone asked about it on her formspring, scroll down to read her response regarding pairs and the 3-3

Sylvia
12-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks. I like when people include the source of their information in posts. :) I'll go cross-post the formspring link in the US Senior Ladies thread.

neptune
12-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Anyone remember how many votes Alissa had BEFORE the GP Final? ;)

Google does. :)

On December 1, the results were:

Mirai Nagasu 91 90.10%
Rachael Flatt 67 66.34%
Christina Gao 9 8.91%
Agnes Zawadzki 5 4.95%
Alissa Czisny 30 29.70%
Ashley Wagner 12 11.88%
Amanda Dobbs 2 1.98%
Vanessa Lam 2 1.98%
Samantha Cesario 2 1.98%
Other 3 2.97%

I don't think winning the GP Final increases Czisny's chances of skating well at Nationals all that much. If Nationals were this week, then I'd say, "Yes, Alissa will probably make the team." But they're a month and a half away. A lot can happen in that time. A few weeks ago, most meteorologists were predicting a somewhat warm winter (at least where I live). So far, December has been frigid. It's hard to predict stuff more than a week in advance. ;)

What Alissa's victory will do is increase her stock with the judges. Unfortunately, it will also put pressure on her as the "favorite." I don't think Rachael's chances at Nationals are any worse for bombing at the GP Final either. It seems pretty obvious that she won't repeat that feat twice in a row. You just know that there's going to be a fire in her belly until Nationals; and, as the defending champ, she'll have plenty of favor with the judges. Just from the law of averages, Rachael will probably skate far better there than she did this past week, and, given her history of inconsistency, Alissa probably won't skate quite as well. If Alissa does skate well in Greensboro, then I hope she makes the world team. But I hope she does not make the team in the same way that she did in 2009. :P I suspect Alissa will end up finishing third or fourth. I think the best bets are still Nagasu and Flatt. Nevertheless, in a nutshell, Alissa won't have to skate nearly as well to make the world team as she would have if she had bombed the GP circuit. :)

I'm just curious--has there ever been a statistical analysis of results on the GP circuit vs. results at national championships, Europeans/4CCs, and/or Worlds? I wonder how much correlation there is between the two sets? If someone had the time, that would make a very interesting study.

neptune
12-13-2010, 10:44 PM
As a result many of her triples look short (especially the flip). I also think that her second toe loop in the GPF LP should have been DG.

Didn't Miki get a DG on the second half of her triple-triple in the LP? I find it interesting that Alissa didn't get any DGs at all. Considering how nitpicking the callers are, I wonder what the explanation for that is. It seems to me that Murakami probably should've won the event.

haribobo
12-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Also keep in mind that in a season or two the international judges may be giving her the nod to move on like they have done with Suguri and now Joubert and Ando.

Suguri and Joubert are skating like yesterday's news and that's why their scores are low. Same with Ando when she scores low in the SP's. Then she comes roaring back with like 20 triples in the FS and scores 120. Nobody is getting nods. They are just sucking.

Anyway, I suppose I should try to contibute something on topic. Alissa, Mirai, and Ashley have been looking great. Gao and Zawadzki pretty good, and Siraj is sublime. I really cannot get behind Gong's Salome program, and she really needs to add some tension and expression to her skating. Vanessa Lam could use some improvement on spins, but she really deserves an assignment after Nationals like Junior Worlds- she's very solid. Flatt, well the trend the past few years hasn't been kind to returning champs in Ladies (Kimmie, Mirai, Alissa)... Cesario, Dobbs, and maybe Zhang or Bulanhagui should contend for top 10.

OrioleBeagle
12-13-2010, 11:18 PM
I am now voting for Alissa Czisny and Mirai Nagasu.

Lainerb
12-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Didn't Miki get a DG on the second half of her triple-triple in the LP?

Miki didn't have a 3+3 in the LP, but her 3z+3l in the short program was downgraded. If you meant her 2axel+3toe then that was given full credit with +GOE>.

neptune
12-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Miki didn't have a 3+3 in the LP, but her 3z+3l in the short program was downgraded. If you meant her 2axel+3toe then that was given full credit with +GOE>.

Thanks, Lainerb. I only watched the LP once, and I thought her opening combo might've been a triple-triple, but I guess not. It's a shame she got downgraded in the SP, though, unless her jump was more UR'd than some of Alissa's jumps.

neptune
12-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Suguri and Joubert are skating like garbage and that's why their scores are low.

Well, maybe if they start skating to Garbage, then their scores will rise! :lol: