PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

burntBREAD
12-01-2010, 04:05 AM
Youíre right. But itís true some of the posters here including you ARE tedious and repetitious, isnít it. Looking at the amount of negative campaign launched by some of the predictable and familiar names here at the mere news of her music choice, and considering that nobody even has any idea of what her programs actually look like yet, I canít help but realizing Yu-Na must have been doing many things really well and how big her stature is in todayís skating. Is it only me who is sensing the jitters? ;)

Nobody. She skates well, she skates well. (She skates well, she'll most likely win :D). Aren't we allowed to speculate though? I'm pretty sure IceAlisa is not a Yuna-hater.

invierno
12-01-2010, 04:06 AM
I think they're talking about lines as in when your free foot is off the ice and you turn it out to make your leg look like a line. Her arms are definitely fine.

Your remark actually made me think. Among current ladies, it seems that only many of the US ladies have "lines" according to that definition of lines. And most of them have nice spins and spiral postures yet don't really have reliable jumps. Do they have negative correlation maybe?

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 04:08 AM
You’re right. But it’s true some of the posters here including you ARE tedious and repetitious, isn’t it. Looking at the amount of negative campaign launched by some of the predictable and familiar names here at the mere news of her music choice, and considering that nobody even has any idea of what her programs actually look like yet, I can’t help but realizing Yu-Na must have been doing many things really well and how big her stature is in today’s skating. Is it only me who is sensing the jitters? ;)

:huh: If the posts are tedious and repetitious why are you still reading? Are you here to do your Yunabomber duty? Consider it done.

It has been explained very well why her SP music choice is a big deal to some skating fans and why. But I suppose you are too busy protecting Kim's honor to notice. :D

Your remark actually made me think. Among current ladies, it seems that only many of the US ladies have "lines" according to that definition of lines. I wish that were the case. Few US ladies have nice lines at the moment. Certainly not Flatt.

Retired US ladies with nice lines include Kwan and Cohen, especially Cohen but now there aren't that many. Nagasu may be.

invierno
12-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Are you here to do your Yunabomber duty?

Sorry to interrupt. But as a Yuna fan myself, I find the term "Yunabomber" really offensive. Even the most obnoxious Yuna fan is not a criminal. Yunabot would be more than enough.

burntBREAD
12-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Your remark actually made me think. Among current ladies, it seems that only many of the US ladies have "lines" according to that definition of lines. And most of them have nice spins and spiral postures yet don't really have reliable jumps. Do they have negative correlation maybe?

Don't quote me on this, but I think that the US coaches generally focus more on things like edging, lines, non-jump skating more than other countries. Though I'm not sure whether there is a negative correlation (hopefully not, otherwise all pretty skating will be gone :D). I mean, Michelle Kwan was one of the most consistent skaters ever and she had great lines. But so did Sasha, and she was less than consistent. Who knows? :confused:

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 04:14 AM
I'm pretty sure IceAlisa is not a Yuna-hater. Thank you for noticing this. :) I most certainly am not.

Don't quote me on this, but I think that the US coaches generally focus more on things like edging, lines, non-jump skating more than other countries. Though I'm not sure whether there is a negative correlation (hopefully not, otherwise all pretty skating will be gone :D). I mean, Michelle Kwan was one of the most consistent skaters ever and she had great lines. But so did Sasha, and she was less than consistent. Who knows? :confused:
I don't think that's necessarily true although it may seem that way, especially since Kwan and Cohen's competitive years overlapped so much. Don't know about Kwan but Cohen trained with a Russian ballet dancer to perfect her lines. My association with great lines is Russia (yes, Baiul is Ukrainian but the tradition is still there). OTOH, not too many balletic female skaters came out of Russia lately. In the 90s there was Katia Gordeeva. But I don't know if any country currently owns that style in skating.

Shaia
12-01-2010, 04:16 AM
I am sorry, but I just saw Yuna's Olympic Gershwin again, and during the majestic 4 minutes, there was maybe 5 seconds where "toe-pointing" or "ballad-like lines" could be even relevant, and that was during her spiral (which was gorgeous).

I think a few people here are just trying to troll... and to cause flame war.

I have never gone to another skater's thread in any board only to criticize the skater by saying "she can't do triple / triple jump" or "she has no artistry" or "she has no speed" etc.

Rather, I avoid the thread if I have no interest in the skater. I suggest you do the same if you could careless about Yuna.

And that means you, IceAlisa.

burntBREAD
12-01-2010, 04:21 AM
I am sorry, but I just saw Yuna's Olympic Gershwin again, and during the majestic 4 minutes, there was maybe 5 seconds where "toe-pointing" or "ballad-like lines" could be even relevant, and that was during her spiral (which was gorgeous).

I think a few people here are just trying to troll... and to cause flame war.

I have never gone to another skater's thread in any board only to criticize the skater by saying "she can't do triple / triple jump" or "she has no artistry" or "she has no speed" etc.

Rather, I avoid the thread if I have no interest in the skater. I suggest you do the same if you could careless about Yuna.

But if they didn't care about Yuna, why would they want her to improve by doing things like pointing her toe? Yuna is one of my absolute favorite skater but everyone has room for improvement. I mean, in the videos, you can see that Yuna herself is changing little things like her leg in the layback. She wants to keep improving, and I think that she should keep looking for things to refine because otherwise, what's the point, you know? Her jumps, basic skating, transitions, those are all nearly perfect, so it's time to shift her attention. Also, IDK about you, but I highly doubt this is "trolling". "Trolling" = esta. These people have been a part of this forum (well, I haven't :rolleyes: but ignore me) for what, eight years? You think they've been trolling for eight years? Please.

burntBREAD
12-01-2010, 04:25 AM
I don't think that's necessarily true although it may seem that way, especially since Kwan and Cohen's competitive years overlapped so much. Don't know about Kwan but Cohen trained with a Russian ballet dancer to perfect her lines. My association with great lines is Russia (yes, Baiul is Ukrainian but the tradition is still there). OTOH, not too many balletic female skaters came out of Russia lately. In the 90s there was Katia Gordeeva. But I don't know if any country currently owns that style in skating.

E.G. Leonova *shudder*- Sorry to anyone that is her fan!

Anyways, back on topic.
I think that Arirang is what we should all be paying attention to right now. That is a gorgeous piece of music, could be like Lu Chen skating to Butterfly Lovers (which is Arirang to Chinese people)...I think the LP will be a masterpiece.

Will Yuna go to the Asian Games? I know those games are very important to the Asian countries, and there is a skating event. Not too sure who else would go, though.

Shaia
12-01-2010, 04:27 AM
:rofl: For Ziggy may be but not for Oppergard. Her lines are lazy, knees bent, legs and arms lack stretch and the flexed foot is fugly.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 04:28 AM
I am sorry, but I just saw Yuna's Olympic Gershwin again, and during the majestic 4 minutes, there was maybe 5 seconds where "toe-pointing" or "ballad-like lines" could be even relevant, and that was during her spiral (which was gorgeous). Toe pointing is always relevant when one foot held is off the ice. I don't suppose Yuna spent 3 min 55 seconds skating on two feet? And what exactly are "ballad-like lines"?

I think a few people here are just trying to troll... and to cause flame war. I think you don't understand what ballet fans who also happen to be figure skating fans are talking about.

I have never gone to another skater's thread in any board only to criticize the skater by saying "she can't do triple / triple jump" or "she has no artistry" or "she has no speed" etc. You must be new to FSU.

And that means you, IceAlisa. I am interested in Yuna but if you prefer posts and threads that don't allow a smidgen of criticism and are all praise, I suggest you seek fan sites and not this forum. You will see plenty of criticism, at times severe, of pretty much every skater. You should think whether FSU is the right place for you.

PUNKPRINCESS
12-01-2010, 04:36 AM
Shaia, I like Yu-Na a lot, but there is no denying that her legs do not create the best lines. I think it is fair to point out that much.

However, as evidenced by the photos I posted on Page 6, she does seem to have the capability of holding her head, torso, and arms nicely--these contribute to body line, too--unless someone wants to point out, to me, if and why her lines aren't good in the photos I referred to. :shuffle:

I would also hope that Yu-Na consciously makes the effort to follow through with all her movements. She does have a tendency to stop short of the full movements here and there.

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Shaia, I like Yu-Na a lot, but there is no denying that her legs do not create the best lines. I think it is fair to point out that much.

However, as evidenced by the photos I posted on Page 6, she does seem to have the capability of holding her head, torso, and arms nicely--these contribute to body line, too--unless someone wants to point out, to me, if and why her lines aren't good in the photos I referred to. :shuffle:

I would also hope that Yu-Na consciously makes the effort to follow through with all her movements. She does have a tendency to stop short of the full movements here and there.

That's exactly right. I am hoping as I've said before that she really commits to making this improvement if she is to represent a beloved ballet character on the ice. She has the raw material and a little time.

Shaia
12-01-2010, 04:42 AM
I can take and welcome constructive criticism about anything in life including Yuna.

But your "criticism" that Yuna has "ugly" "lines" is hardly constructive, and out of place talking about the announcement of her new programs.

In fact, you just admitted that you have no idea what are "ballad-like lines", and yet, you have been strongly voicing that Yuna lacks such "lines."

If you can go back and watch Gershwin or any other Yuna performance, and tell me exactly what faults you find in exactly which moments, and why, then such criticism may be constructive and fair - although they would be off-topic for thread.

vodkashot
12-01-2010, 04:46 AM
In fact, you just admitted that you have no idea what are "ballad-like lines", and yet, you have been strongly voicing that Yuna lacks such "lines."

I don't know what "ballad-like lines" are either.

In fact, I don't think anyone knows what they are except for you. Care to explain?