PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

smarts1
12-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Is she going to take the Kwan route and only show up at Worlds now?

Shaia
12-01-2010, 02:01 AM
I find that Yuna has the best "lines" in skating, period. More than her incomparable jumps, it is her lines, artistry, and presence on the ice that truly makes her a one-of-a-kind skater.

If it is human pretzel that you seek, go find a yoga instructor or something. And if it is ballet that tingles your fancy, for heaven's sake, do us a service and go watch ballet and write on a ballet forum.

Figure skating is not and should not be ballet.

Fallcolor
12-01-2010, 02:04 AM
Although these little things are a pet peeve to me sometimes, ;) I will say that her posture-> from the 08-09 season and last season, was noticeably better.

PUNKPRINCESS
12-01-2010, 02:09 AM
I actually think it'd be a lot of fun if Yu-Na chooses the most delicate, "balletic" portion of Giselle and skates through it without pointing her toes once... :lol: However, I rather agree with Ziggy--her lines are not that bad. They may not be consistently decent (or even blah more often than not), but hey, Miki Ando skated to Giselle a few years ago, and hers are a little more :duh:

Frankly, if all we are anticipating on criticizing Yu-Na for is her lack of ballet skills, then I'm going to be grateful. I'm here to watch figure skating. We can rely on Yu-Na to skate.

That's what makes skating, skating: balletic influence which translates to good lines.
Um, no it's not. :huh: Two of my favorite female skaters, Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi, didn't make me think of ballet. My favorite male skaters do not resemble a ballet dancer at all.

Ziggy
12-01-2010, 02:38 AM
You are aware that ballet classes are necessary for figure skaters and that there is a good reason for that? Yes, it is unrealistic to expect the same level of lines and stretch from a figure skater, although some have come close. But it's also sloppy to barely attempt to create a nice line. Yuna skates with very little evidence of ballet training and now she is attempting Giselle. I really hope she works hard to make the adjustments.

Honestly what standards are you applying here? Who are you comparing Yu-Na to?

I can't think of many Ladies that have lines at her level or better.

Not like she couldn't get better but if it's something you criticise her for, you'd have to massively rant about your average senior competitor.

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 02:43 AM
Honestly what standards are you applying here? Who are you comparing Yu-Na to?

I can't think of many Ladies that have lines at her level or better. People have already mentioned skaters with better lines. See John 3 17 last post.

Not like she couldn't get better but if it's something you criticise her for, you'd have to massively rant about your average senior competitor.

But this is a Yuna thread, one where it was announced she'd be skating to ballet music. ;) But if you really want to know, I think Miki Ando is just as bad. She makes no effort either. Rachael Flatt is another one. Yes, Yuna is superior to both in other aspects of skating but that's not what we are discussing.

Kwan definitely had a stretched out quality, especially towards the later part of her career. She created some lovely lines, (http://media.photobucket.com/image/michelle%20kwan/millerkwan/cc.jpg) ballet plus being naturally graceful. And of course, Cohen, Baiul, Gordeeva as mentioned. These days one female skater who makes an effort is Nagasu.

Here's more Kwan with great lines, really bad hair: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/figureskating/news/1998/12/10/kwan_worldpro/lg_kwan_ap_01.jpg

lowtherlore
12-01-2010, 02:58 AM
:yawn: at all this fuss about her choosing ballet music and the familiar naysayers’ tedious blah on pointing toes, turn-outs and “balletic” positions.

Ando’s and Nagano’s Giselle was fine, so I expect Yu-Na’s would be a feast. Has she ever failed to deliver a good program in her entire career? Remember the ethereal Yu-Na in Lark Ascending? She’s versatile, and in projecting wide range of emotions with subtle nuances in movements, IMO she is as good as anybody. Her line is fine, her upper body flexibility and movements are great, I think she will make a beautiful and convincing Giselle. Wonder which Giselle she would be, the peasant girl or the wili Giselle, or a combination of both (I hope).

Love this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnALm-pbogs&feature=related)! It sounds so nice.

Love the singing! There are various versions of Arirang, depending on the province where each version came from. The ones in this video are from Gangwon Province. The one played by NY Phil in Pyeongyang is from Gyeonggi Province, which I assume would also be the one included in Yu-Na’s FS.

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 03:03 AM
:yawn: at all this fuss about her choosing ballet music and the familiar naysayers’ tedious blah on pointing toes, turn-outs and “balletic” positions.

No one is forcing you to read this.

portia
12-01-2010, 03:34 AM
I find that Yuna has the best "lines" in skating, period. More than her incomparable jumps, it is her lines, artistry, and presence on the ice that truly makes her a one-of-a-kind skater.

If it is human pretzel that you seek, go find a yoga instructor or something. And if it is ballet that tingles your fancy, for heaven's sake, do us a service and go watch ballet and write on a ballet forum.

Figure skating is not and should not be ballet.

No one is saying FS should be ballet, but the truth is skaters look to ballet for program ideas, and many successful skaters take ballet classes to improve their presentations on ice. Even Kwan mentioned taking ballet classes and credited them in improvement in her flexibility and artistry.

If dance shouldn't influence skating, then skater shouldn't skate to ballet music, period, or skate with round arms, or point their toes to give impression of better lines. Also, why do you think Yuna has the best lines? The application of the term "line" is a balletic ideal in itself though not strictly reserved for ballet...it influences gymnastics as well. Also, how do you define "lines" in FS, and how did you apply them in Yuna's case? Not trying to rag on you, just trying to get a better sense on what FS fans' idea of lines really are.

Lines have everything to do with impression or outline, hence the term "line", of the body while executing steps and poses. A good or bad line depends upon how dancer arranges his/ her head, body, legs, and arms while moving or in poses. Having good line is a necessity in classical dance. Having good line in FS puts that skater in another artistic realm, though it's not a necessity in quest to win medals.

Skaters have a history of emulating dancers' movements and poses and translating them to fit skating. That's why a skater skating to Don Q will have Spanish arm movements as in the ballet itself. If a skater chooses to skate to Swan Lake and isn't known for graceful, balletic arms, then I think it's fair to question that skater's choice.

Giselle is one of the top three iconic ballerina roles and that's why FS fans who also happen to be balletomanes are a bit protective of how Giselle is presented on ice. No one is suggesting that Yuna go out on ice and be a complete replica of a ballerina dancing Giselle. But she has to present more artistically and aesthetically than what she has shown us up until now if she wishes to interpret Giselle on ice. Now if her goal is to simply skate to this beautiful piece of music and win WC gold, that's another story.

PUNKPRINCESS
12-01-2010, 03:35 AM
But, I mean...is there something wrong with Miss Yu-Na's lines in these photos?

http://www.buzzybloggers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/YunaKim.jpg
http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/images/sk8can/sk8can%202006%20kim%20sp.jpg
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10500000/Kim-Yu-Na-yuna-kim-10541481-800-1204.jpg
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/X9xWe_deXtl/ISU+Grand+Prix+Figure+Skating+Final+Day+3/xg12Lah_R_l/Yu-Na+Kim

They look all right to me.

burntBREAD
12-01-2010, 03:43 AM
But, I mean...is there something wrong with Miss Yu-Na's lines in these photos?

http://www.buzzybloggers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/YunaKim.jpg
http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/images/sk8can/sk8can%202006%20kim%20sp.jpg
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10500000/Kim-Yu-Na-yuna-kim-10541481-800-1204.jpg
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/X9xWe_deXtl/ISU+Grand+Prix+Figure+Skating+Final+Day+3/xg12Lah_R_l/Yu-Na+Kim

They look all right to me.

I think they're talking about lines as in when your free foot is off the ice and you turn it out to make your leg look like a line. Her arms are definitely fine.

PUNKPRINCESS
12-01-2010, 03:49 AM
I think they're talking about lines as in when your free foot is off the ice and you turn it out to make your leg look like a line. Her arms are definitely fine.
I thought I saw posts referring to her lines in general.

burntBREAD
12-01-2010, 03:55 AM
I thought I saw posts referring to her lines in general.

I think what they might have been referring to is that Yuna has a bit of limited range of movement due to injury and simply, how her body is, so her general movements are more side-to-side rather than balletic. But, I actually think Giselle is a good choice because it will force her to work on expanding everything and she can get even better! :)

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 03:56 AM
Lines have everything to do with impression or outline, hence the term "line", of the body while executing steps and poses. A good or bad line depends upon how dancer arranges his/ her head, body, legs, and arms while moving or in poses. Having good line is a necessity in classical dance. Having good line in FS puts that skater in another artistic realm, though it's not a necessity in quest to win medals.

Skaters have a history of emulating dancers' movements and poses and translating them to fit skating. That's why a skater skating to Don Q will have Spanish arm movements as in the ballet itself. If a skater chooses to skate to Swan Lake and isn't known for graceful, balletic arms, then I think it's fair to question that skater's choice.

Giselle is one of the top three iconic ballerina roles and that's why FS fans who also happen to be balletomanes are a bit protective of how Giselle is presented on ice. No one is suggesting that Yuna go out on ice and be a complete replica of a ballerina dancing Giselle. But she has to present more artistically and aesthetically than what she has shown us up until now if she wishes to interpret Giselle on ice. Now if her goal is to simply skate to this beautiful piece of music and win WC gold, that's another story.

Well said.

lowtherlore
12-01-2010, 04:02 AM
No one is forcing you to read this.

You’re right. But it’s true some of the posters here including you ARE tedious and repetitious, isn’t it. Looking at the amount of negative campaign launched by some of the predictable and familiar names here at the mere news of her music choice, and considering that nobody even has any idea of what her programs actually look like yet, I can’t help but realizing Yu-Na must have been doing many things really well and how big her stature is in today’s skating. Is it only me who is sensing the jitters? ;)