PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

galaxy
11-30-2010, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=bek;2969627 And seriously, I'd like to think that most Japanese know agree that Korea should be an independent country :lol:..[/QUOTE]

Both Korea and Japan are independent countries. :)
Each coutry has its own tastes and culture and perspective views as you know. Sometimes we share the same feelings and views, and other times we may not. I hope Korean fans won't demand too much from Japanese fans and audience. Our tastes and feelings and emotions are not always the same as yours. On the contrary I always feel people in Korea and Japan are really different.

Yuna said that in her FP she will skate for her country and its people. She said that her FP is a love letter to Korea and Korean people. I'm sure her music and her program will make her countrymen cry to death. But Korean fans (incuding Yuna), please don't get upset, mad and furious, and don't criticize and blame us in case the audience in Tokyo won't respond as enthusiastically as Korean people do and in case we won't have tears in our eyes.

mrinalini
11-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Meh, she could never do justice to Giselle like Mao can, for example. Those unpointed feet, the non-existent line, spins and spirals that aren't particularly graceful...not my idea of what I'd call 'balletic'.

Arirang would suit her much better, I'd think, as Yu-Na can do lyrical, as best exemplified by her Lark Ascending LP.

eyh201
11-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't think Kim's Giselle would look like Gordieva's one which showed lots of balletic posture and movements.

Given that Kim said she 'liked the actual story of Giselle', her version might focus on dramatizing the story of Giselle rather than imitating the balletic movements. :)

Extranjera
11-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Meh, she could never do justice to Giselle like Mao can, for example. Those unpointed feet, the non-existent line, spins and spirals that aren't particularly graceful...not my idea of what I'd call 'balletic'.

I agree. I suppose she will do only a few poses a'la ballerina and that will be the only thing which will have something in common with ballet. I prefer her skating to music like "tango de roxanne", "danse macabre" etc. but I admire her for challenging herself with "Giselle" and I love the music to her new FS

Yuna's words about Arirang:

"David Wilson had often recommended Arirang (one of the most famous Korean folk music) for program music. However, I had my reservations because I thought it was never the right time. After the success at the Olympics, I thought now is the right time to give back to the people of Korea and to thank them for their enthusiastic support."

I have only one notice:

WC in Japan is the right time? Strange conclusion. I have bad feeling it can means it's her last season...

Autumn_girl
11-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Interesting choice. I'm not sure about Giselle, for me Yuna is not balletic at all and this music would be better for ballerinas like Mao or Adelina Sotnikova, but maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.
Arirang sounds better, I think it will be interesting program

RunnersHigh
11-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Both Korea and Japan are independent countries. :)
Each coutry has its own tastes and culture and perspective views as you know. Sometimes we share the same feelings and views, and other times we may not. I hope Korean fans won't demand too much from Japanese fans and audience. Our tastes and feelings and emotions are not always the same as yours. On the contrary I always feel people in Korea and Japan are really different.

Yuna said that in her FP she will skate for her country and its people. She said that her FP is a love letter to Korea and Korean people. I'm sure her music and her program will make her countrymen cry to death. But Korean fans (incuding Yuna), please don't get upset, mad and furious, and don't criticize and blame us in case the audience in Tokyo won't respond as enthusiastically as Korean people do and in case we won't have tears in our eyes.
From when you're several other people or represents Japanese?
Demand? What demand? and blame? What blame? JKJK. :lol:

That's so natural. No one could blame audiences on their reaction.

Allow yourself to feel what you feel!

I only once cried after a skater's performance. It was when Adam Rippon gave crowds a clean LP at 2010 4CC. At the moment, I couldn't help holding back my tears.

And Yu-Na's LP is "Homage to Korea", a montage of Korean traditional music including Arirang. ;)

RunnersHigh
11-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Yuna's words about Arirang:

"David Wilson had often recommended Arirang (one of the most famous Korean folk music) for program music. However, I had my reservations because I thought it was never the right time. After the success at the Olympics, I thought now is the right time to give back to the people of Korea and to thank them for their enthusiastic support."

I have only one notice:

WC in Japan is the right time? Strange conclusion. I have bad feeling it can means it's her last season...

Your conclusion is strange.
The right time above means "After the success at the Olympics" not "WC in Japan".

galaxy
11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
That's so natural. No one could blame audiences on their reaction.

Allow yourself to feel what you feel!

Thanks a lot, RunnersHigh. Yeah, it's such a relief! :)

riveredge
11-30-2010, 12:21 PM
And Yu-Na's LP is "Homage to Korea", a montage of Korean traditional music including Arirang. ;)

Yup. Yuna's LP is not entirely Arirang, it's a medley of other Korean folk songs including Arirang. ;)

As for Giselle, she said herself that she wants to improve her artistic side. So, this is challenge for her.

Ziggy
11-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Kim's lines are fine. And between having great basic skating, a decent posture and actually skating to the music, not pointing her toes is a little detail that you can really live without.

Extranjera
11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Your conclusion is strange.
The right time above means "After the success at the Olympics" not "WC in Japan".
I understood what she means but I'm surprised she considers WC in Tokyo to be "the right time" for this music. I know she wants to do it for Korean audience, but Japan & Korea have difficult history and it can look a bit controversial. Why can't she skate to this music at WC in France instead? I think it can be the sign she won't compete after this season (but I hope I'm wrong).

That's what I think about controversy comes of her music, but I have to say I'm happy of her choice. I like watching something fresh instead of another Carmen, Scheherazade etc.

Debuting your programs at Worlds means not getting any mileage and feedback on them. It might really backfire.

On the other hand, with the level of skating displayed so far this season, a subpar skate by Kim might be enough for gold.

I don't think it will be a problem, on the contrary. Judges will wait for Yuna like for main course, because they are still hungry for watchin' better programs than they saw in GP events so far. Situation would be different if there was someone who could replace her but currently ladies are very weak compared to last season. Of course it can change ( I hope so) but even then I don't think it will work against her. Everyone will expect her to be much better than other skaters.

Kim's lines are fine. And between having great basic skating, a decent posture and actually skating to the music, not pointing her toes is a little detail that you can really live without.

I think toes are very important in this case. We're talking about ballet...

savina
11-30-2010, 01:00 PM
:smokin:
khaaa. let the war begin 2222.
Whatever.

I will be just happy to see her performance.

Frau Muller
11-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Kim's physique, so long and lean, is pure ballerina. She will be a magnificent Giselle.

Marco
11-30-2010, 02:18 PM

YES. Her ugly foot positions never bothered me. It's not like toe point is vital to any element like back bend is to layback and knee bend is to sit spin. It's pretty much her only weakness though, aside from the 3loop.

But still, if she didn't (want to) improve on her toe point, perhaps she shouldn't pick a piece of music that screams ballet. And I am saying this as someone who knows nothing about dance. Maybe a more modern piece will suit her style and line better?

Giselle for me will always be Nicole Bobek at 1997 US Nationals.

eyh201
11-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Kim's physique, so long and lean, is pure ballerina. She will be a magnificent Giselle.

You remind me of Dick Button's comment on Kim at the 2007 Worlds. :)

He said, "I think what's incredible is that she's absolutely a Balanchine-type skater. Long arms, long legs, truly elegant move."