PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

IceAlisa
11-30-2010, 03:11 AM
US Nationals 2010

Oh that one. Don't remind me. :drama: I still haven't watched the LP. :scream:

chipso1
11-30-2010, 03:12 AM
Lurve "Giselle" :swoon:

Definitely looking forward to Yu-Na's version. A podium of Kim-Nagasu-Czisny (in any order...) would be :rollin:.

Indra486
11-30-2010, 03:14 AM
:lol: I do believe that there was some cultural exchange with gasp! Japanese orchestras playing Arirang, I wonder even if most Japanese fans would even know what Arirang is. And seriously, I'd like to think that most Japanese know agree that Korea should be an independent country :lol:..

Yep! Joe Hisaisahi, who frequently collaborates with Hayao Miyazaki's Ghibli films, performed Arirang with an orchestra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eakOpAkalAY

Like you had said earlier, great music will transcend. I'm Chinese-American and I love the moods of both Arirang as well as Oborozukiyo. The latter, particularly with the Mika Nakashima cover.

bek
11-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Haha, you're just proving my point. ;)

I hope Kim can avoid Cohen's fate.

Yu-na is no Sasha. How serious could Sasha's return be taken when she essentially started training full time that summer.

Yu-na hasn't really been out of training it seems, and I have no doubt that she'd be committing if she wasn't 100% sure she'd do well.

burntBREAD
11-30-2010, 03:18 AM
Lurve "Giselle" :swoon:

Definitely looking forward to Yu-Na's version. A podium of Kim-Nagasu-Czisny (in any order...) would be :rollin:.

:cheer2:

Though I have to say I wouldn't mind Akiko Suzuki being squeezed in there :lol:

RunnersHigh
11-30-2010, 03:23 AM
Arirang rhapsody from Hyeon-Jung Kim LP @ 08-09 4CC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAzc92SSPB0

Indra486
11-30-2010, 03:30 AM
Yu-na is no Sasha. How serious could Sasha's return be taken when she essentially started training full time that summer.

Yu-na hasn't really been out of training it seems, and I have no doubt that she'd be committing if she wasn't 100% sure she'd do well.

I do remember you saying, though, that you wanted Sasha to return after seeing the current crop of US ladies after the Liberty competition because you were disappointed in their performances. Sounds like her comeback was taken seriously enough. ;)

bek
11-30-2010, 03:38 AM
I do remember you saying, though, that you wanted Sasha to return after seeing the current crop of US ladies after the Liberty competition because you were disappointed in their performances. Sounds like her comeback was taken seriously enough. ;)

I did? I actually never remember taking Sasha's comeback seriously. I may have kind of wanted her to comeback, but I never thought she'd win an Olympic medal. I never took Plushenko's seriously either in fairness, although its pretty clear Plushy took his comeback way more seriously than Sasha took hers. Just the fact that Evgeny trained hardcore for a year, it seems.

Indra486
11-30-2010, 03:42 AM
I did? I actually never remember taking Sasha's comeback seriously. I may have kind of wanted her to comeback, but I never thought she'd win an Olympic medal. I never took Plushenko's seriously either in fairness, although its pretty clear Plushy took his comeback way more seriously than Sasha took hers. Just the fact that Evgeny trained hardcore for a year, it seems.

Most likely this. Plushenko is just a beast.

bek
11-30-2010, 03:51 AM
Most likely this. Plushenko is just a beast.

Plushenko is a beast who it seems trained hard core for an entire year. The man has amazing jumping technique, and is one of the best jumpers ever, but he certainly didn't think one summer would have him prepared for elite competition.

Then consider Sasha, who while a lovely skater, was never a great jumper with great technique, who kind of started training full time A LOT later than Plushenko.

I have a feeling when it comes towards training attitude Kim's a lot more like Plushenko.

gromitfigure
11-30-2010, 04:06 AM
Sorry to interrupt. I am not so sure her "Arirang FP" will be very well received in Tokyo. Maybe it would be a little like performing "Bells of Moscow" in North America.

um.. I think arirang is just folk music from Korea. Don't be serious :)
I'm really looking forward to her program.

Ziggy
11-30-2010, 04:10 AM

The article says she's been training with Oppegard since October. Did she train properly before?

Because doing some shows is not the same as regular, daily gruelling practice that competitive athletes do.

lakewood
11-30-2010, 05:24 AM
The article says she's been training with Oppegard since October. Did she train properly before?

Because doing some shows is not the same as regular, daily gruelling practice that competitive athletes do.

Yes, but I'm not sure how hard it was.

bek
11-30-2010, 05:53 AM

I don't know, but I believe there were reports about her doing 3lutz/3toes at EastWest right when she got there. So she couldn't have been that out of shape...I have a hard time imaging she'd be committing now, if she didn't think she'd be ready by worlds. But we will see.

victoriaheidi
11-30-2010, 06:24 AM

The difference between Yuna and Sasha is that, if Yuna took time off, it was March-October. Sasha took off March 2006-Summer 2009. Not to discount practice time, but three years and seven months are VERY different.

[I can't even stick to one side of a discussion, can I?]