PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Ziggy
11-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Debuting your programs at Worlds means not getting any mileage and feedback on them. It might really backfire.

On the other hand, with the level of skating displayed so far this season, a subpar skate by Kim might be enough for gold.

Jenna
11-30-2010, 02:21 AM
Debuting your programs at Worlds means not getting any mileage and feedback on them. It might really backfire.

On the other hand, with the level of skating displayed so far this season, a subpar skate by Kim might be enough for gold.

Worked for Cohen (in the SP ;)).

IceAlisa
11-30-2010, 02:25 AM

Which competition?

Fallcolor
11-30-2010, 02:26 AM
2005 Worlds I think? (although she debuted at nationals)

Jenna
11-30-2010, 02:27 AM
US Nationals 2010

burntBREAD
Maybe this is a sign that Yuna points her toes now? I mean, Giselle is one of the most famous ballets ever, you should definitely point your toes. And I agree, debuting at Worlds is a risk but I also agree that she probably could win as long as she's clean.

Will her costume also look like Yukari/Gordeeva/Miki's version of what's worn in the ballet?

Indra486
2005 Worlds I think? (although she debuted at nationals)

2010 Nationals? But she did skate her Espana Cani at an exhibition, though it looked different than the debut at Spokane.

burntBREAD
11-30-2010, 02:28 AM
I actually really, really liked Espana Cani. That fiery style really fits her. Moonlight Sonata not too much, but it might have just been because she two footed and splatted all over the place.

Fallcolor
11-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Ahhh yes, you're right, Indra! :)

2010 nationals I'd rather erase from my memory forever...:fragile:

bek
11-30-2010, 02:34 AM
I agree with you. There is no reason to think the non-Korean audience will be moved by "Arirang".

I don't know how the Japanese will react to Arirang. BUT, Arirang is simply gorgeous music, and I'm not sure why you think that Non Koreans wouldn't find it beautiful. (I'm non Korean) A year ago I played the music for some American junior high students, these are the type of kids who listen to rap etc none were Korean. And all of them really liked it. Obviously there's more cultural stuff at play with Japan, but the music in and of itself is something Non Koreans can appreciate. Great music is something that kind of transcends audiences and cultures IMO. I think Non Korean and Non Japanese will think they are hearing a pretty and moving piece of music.

Ziggy
11-30-2010, 02:48 AM

Haha, you're just proving my point. ;)

I hope Kim can avoid Cohen's fate.

At this stage only Ando has been having semi-consistent, strong performances. Everybody else is pretty much all over the place.

I really don't want the Worlds podium to be G: Ando / S: Flatt (or even worse, the reverse :scream:).

As for Kim's FS music: Yes, I am sure that the Japanese audience will think of the Korean war the moment the music starts. It will quickly descent into a riot with Korean flags being burnt and a huge diplomatic scandal. :rolleyes:

As long as the music is pretty, nobody is going to give rat's ass. :P

Copper
11-30-2010, 02:54 AM
I don't know how the Japanese will react to Arirang. BUT, Arirang is simply gorgeous music, and I'm not sure why you think that Non Koreans wouldn't find it beautiful. (I'm non Korean) A year ago I played the music for some American junior high students, these are the type of kids who listen to rap etc none were Korean. And all of them really liked it. Obviously there's more cultural stuff at play with Japan, but the music in and of itself is something Non Koreans can appreciate. Great music is something that kind of transcends audiences and cultures IMO. I think Non Korean and Non Japanese will think they are hearing a pretty and moving piece of music.

I hope you are right. If not the music, I hope Yu-Na's skating does the magic. What Yu-Na is trying to do is very beautiful and Koreans are blessed to have a skater like Yu-Na. However, I can't help but thinking Yu-Na is putting extra pressure to herself to please her countrymen.

bek
11-30-2010, 02:58 AM
As for Kim's FS music: Yes, I am sure that the Japanese audience will think of the Korean war the moment the music starts. It will quickly descent into a riot with Korean flags being burnt and a huge diplomatic scandal.

:lol: I do believe that there was some cultural exchange with gasp! Japanese orchestras playing Arirang, I wonder even if most Japanese fans would even know what Arirang is. And seriously, I'd like to think that most Japanese know agree that Korea should be an independent country :lol:..

quikrush
11-30-2010, 02:59 AM
IMO Arirang is absolutely beautiful. No wonder it's the most popular folk song in Korea. I can't wait to see her skating to the music.

As for Giselle, at least it will be a refreshing moment from the current flood of tangos. I confess I'm not a devoted fan of that piece, but Yuna can make anything look good. Gershwin used to bore me to tears yet her Olympic freeskate was a revelation.

Now only if I could get a ticket for the Tokyo Worlds....

Karpenko
11-30-2010, 03:09 AM
These both sound like great choices for Yu-Na (esp Giselle :cheer2:). I think that artistically she's going to be the best she's ever been this year, but its all a question on how she can get her jumps back.

Honestly though, should have a much easier time winning Worlds this year than she did last year, and she was only one place away from that with a really bad competition.