PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28

EricRohmer
12-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Kim gets criticized enough on her layback and her spiral for lack of toe point but not enough people seem to acknowledge that very few skaters can get her backbend and speed on the layback and the edging and ice coverage on the spiral, which are much more important qualities about these elements than the toe point anyway.

ITA. Yuna's spiral on close-up(in TV) is not pleasing me, but on high angle shot(in fancam) or at a live viewing does wow me due to the speed and ice coverage.
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3078/82284862.gif

-------------------------------------------------

This thread is useful for me.
Thanks to portia etc.

let`s talk
12-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Russian Folk song “Katusha” (a girl’s name and a name for artillery rocket launcher during WWII) became a symbol of resistance to Germans during the war

Arirang had also become a symbol of Korean resistance in the 1930’s against Japanese invasion and a symbol of National pride and identity. It is no longer simply a Folk Song…..
Older Koreans and Japanese do remember past history…..
Well, let's be fair. Comparing with Japanese, Germans did pretty well all the stuff regarding their bad behavior in the history. Of course there are some nationalists and other marginals, but they are everywhere and in any G8 country. As for the German government and the official politics, they were doing and are doing a rather good work about how to deal with the past historical guilt. Japanese somehow didn't achieve the results equal to German and yes, there are still some related controversial issues, regarding the WWII history, that exist in the society. But whose problem and fault is it? Koreans?
Oh, no. My opinion is that the fact that Arirang as a touchy piece of music for some older Japanese, should be the last reason for a Korean skater to stop choosing that music.

I don't really get this multi-page thread about how Giselle might not suit Yuna's back and Arirang in Japan and blah-bah. Noboyd saw her new programs. As for the Japanese audience, I am sure they will be fine with Arirang. I will be in Worlds in 2011 and will be able to report from the first hand about people's reaction.

Shinku
12-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Arirang had also become a symbol of Korean resistance in the 1930’s against Japanese invasion and a symbol of National pride and identity. It is no longer simply a Folk Song…..

YN Kim’s biggest rival at present is Japanese Mao Asada (never mind the skaters’ conditions today – the last two times they met on ice – the competition was strictly between these two).

Judging by comments in discussion forums between Japanese and Korean fans, in some instances “nationalism” and “past history” elements do come up…..

Older Koreans and Japanese do remember past history…..

I do not believe in forbidding any music….. But I do think that for a top Korean skater whose main rival is a top Japanese skater, and with all the history behind, and the symbolism of this Folk song, skating to “Arirang” in Tokyo, even today, is potentially “controversial”.

Although I think you do have a point, since Arirang isn't all that famous in Japan, Yuna preparing to skate to it at Worlds this season doesn't seem to be bothering anybody Japanese whom I know of. And so far, it's only been introduced by the Japanese media as a traditional Korean song, nothing more. Some Japanese skaters have skated to traditional Japanese music in the past, so Yuna skating to Arirang seems pretty natural to me. Well, Yuna isn't all that popular any more in Japan after...the 'issue' 2 seasons ago. But there are still figure skating fans in Japan looking forward to her performances, and those seem to think Arirang is an excellent choice for her. Some very old Japanese folks might be aware of the historical backgrounds concerning Arirang, but not many of them watch figure skating actually. There shouldn't be any problems IMO. At least from the Japanese side. :)

let`s talk
12-03-2010, 10:13 AM
:)True.

RunnersHigh
12-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Although I think you do have a point, since Arirang isn't all that famous in Japan, Yuna preparing to skate to it at Worlds this season doesn't seem to be bothering anybody Japanese whom I know of. And so far, it's only been introduced by the Japanese media as a traditional Korean song, nothing more. Some Japanese skaters have skated to traditional Japanese music in the past, so Yuna skating to Arirang seems pretty natural to me. Well, Yuna isn't all that popular any more in Japan after...the 'issue' 2 seasons ago. But there are still figure skating fans in Japan looking forward to her performances, and those seem to think Arirang is an excellent choice for her. Some very old Japanese folks might be aware of the historical backgrounds concerning Arirang, but not many of them watch figure skating actually. There shouldn't be any problems IMO. At least from the Japanese side. :)

Shinku, this is why I still believe Japanese Skating Fans're reasonable and kind enough. Thank you so much!!!! :swoon:

invierno
12-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Wow. I've never thought Arirang could be seen as a political tune. :lol:
The song itself is very peaceful, more about 'missing a loved one', which can be a lover, family, a motherland, good ol'time, etc. Given Yuna's been living abroad quite some time, it seems very proper for her to choose this song as a part of her 'homage to Korea' LP. There is no other tune to say 'I miss you so much, dear' better than this one. How come it can make Japanese uncomfortable?? Missing Korea is not equal to hating Japan or anything, gee. If it indeed makes them uncomfotable, it is probably due to guilty conscience, and no one can do anything about that.

ETA: I mean, EVERYBODY uses folk music/national theme music at some point. Because they are proud of their heritage. Look at Lambiel who chose William Tell at the Olympics. Look at Ando who chose Madam Butterfly at the Olympics. Schindler's List form Zaretsky siblings, anyone? And all the original dances. I'm pretty sure at least one of those Finnish ladies will choose Finlandia at some point if they hadn't done it yet. If they can do that, Yuna should be able to do that. Period.

galaxy
12-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Well, Yuna isn't all that popular any more in Japan after...the 'issue' 2 seasons ago.

Well, Japanese media used to hype about Yuna as a Korean idol skater who was a main rival of Mao a couple years ago, but these days they don't anymore. The ' issue ' two years ago is not the only reason why Yuna isn't so popular any more in Japan.

After she won OGM she did two shows, and she picked the dates of her shows on exactly the same days of shows held in Japan. (and both shows had Mao among the cast)
She made Shen/Zhao withdraw from Carnival on Ice, who already had been on the member list of COI for a long time, to add them to the cast of her show.
Then as we all know, she dragged Mao into her split with Orser issue.

I felt popularlity of Yuna went down gradually during these issues. Japanese media stayed really calm and didn't kick up a fuss at all back then, but they have been staying rahter silent about Yuna lately. Unlike before, they don't talk about her much any more.

lakewood
12-03-2010, 05:07 PM
After she won OGM she did two shows, and she picked the dates of her shows on exactly the same days of shows held in Japan. (and both shows had Mao among the cast)
She made Shen/Zhao withdraw from Carnival on Ice, who already had been on the member list of COI for a long time, to add them to the cast of her show.

Two different shows in two different countires for two different people. How on earth can they interfere each other in any way? The Disson show with Evan was held the same day. What about him? If she could have picked a different day, she could have brought all Oly gold medalists, which would have got the show more spotlight. Are you saying she gave up the chance only to have the show on the same day as COI? Non-sense.

For S/Z, you never know who contacted them first or what happened in the process.

I unerstand the feeling of Mao fans in the YuNa-Orser split. But, she just stated what happened to explain the cause of split. Whether Mao fans believe it or not, she didn't lie.

shine
12-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Two different shows in two different countires for two different people. How on earth can they interfere each other in any way?

Of course they can. There are only so many top skaters in the world to invite. I'm not convinced there was any actual konspiracy though, and I indeed enjoyed Yuna's shows immensely.

RunnersHigh
12-03-2010, 05:50 PM
And you insulted S/Z like this below even you knew nothing at all.

WAAAAAA..!!!

:eek:

I just can't believe this....

Unbelievable power of $$$$$$$$$$$!?

No, it was Brian Orser who first opened the approach from team Mao since after Torino World.

I felt popularlity of Yuna went down gradually during these issues.
And Japanese media has been staying rahter silent about Yuna these days. Unlike before, they don't talk about her much any more.
Keep going please. And hope you to stop paying attention to Yu-Na. You always started "Sorry to interrupt ~~~" or "Sorry, I just dropped in ~~". Hope this is your final visit on Yu-Na's thread. Bye!

BTW, how come! this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q6Ux3VSrCQ) was aired just yesterday in Japan. Your coverage on Japanese broadcast is not that great. :P

bek
12-04-2010, 01:02 AM

I'm wondering how exactly Yu-na could have made Shen/Zhao do anything? They were the ones who committed to Carnival on Ice and then withdrew, so the Japanese fans should take their issue up with them.

RumbleFish
12-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Well, Japanese media used to hype about Yuna as a Korean idol skater who was a main rival of Mao a couple years ago, but these days they don't anymore. The ' issue ' two years ago is not the only reason why Yuna isn't so popular any more in Japan.

I felt popularlity of Yuna went down gradually during these issues. Japanese media stayed really calm and didn't kick up a fuss at all back then, but they have been staying rahter silent about Yuna lately. Unlike before, they don't talk about her much any more.

Not that Yuna would really care, but the reason her media exposure went down in Japan, if it really happened, would has to do more with demise of Asada.

Since 2006 Jr Worlds, Japanese media used Yuna to build a phony rivary story vis a vie Asada in order to make money. Since 2009 Worlds, it has become clear even to an untrained eye that Yuna's skating is miles away better than Asada's. Now a days, trying to compare them would only result in embarassment for Asada, hence they are keeping it quite.

UncleAzzu
12-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Good idea hitting on me!
If S/Z would be able to be single skater from pair, they would not have to withdraw from any shows.
The choice is owned by THEM. Please ask them to do as my idea.

riveredge
12-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Absolutely ridiculous. :lol:

raphie
12-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow my first time to leave a comment here and can't get to know whats going on here. First Yuna's Program is 'Homage to Korea' exactly, not only Arirang but with several Korean trd'l songs isn't it? I've never seen this kind of BIG argument on a skater's program or music, only when she said just the titles- and whats wrong? Why can't JUST wait for the WC expecting another beauty she would show us? OMG.
hmm anyway i've learned much more about Arirang and the relationship of two countries. and I still think theres no problem with her choice. why can't? she's apparently one of the greatest skater ever, and olympic champ. she can do what she want. i'm on her.