PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28

Figga
12-03-2010, 03:19 AM
YuNa's FS music is a Korean folk medley. It wouldn't be complete without what is one of the oldest and probably the most famous folk song.

Even if YuNa was skating solely to Arirang, it wouldn't be a problem, except to those who obviously don't like her and are just trying to stir up trouble when there is none.

able10
12-03-2010, 03:21 AM
I love how active this thread is!

omg yuna bots are really retarded

RunnersHigh
12-03-2010, 03:22 AM
Bobek's and Gordeeva's were the most memorable and beautiful. Nakano's was charming.

To sum up all the crazy discussions:

Yuna ubers: Yuna is already a 95 and way above the rest, she can be 100 if she works on the minor details. She doesn't need them to win, but she needs them to be PERFECT, which she is already very close to.

Ballet ubers: don't bet on Yuna turning into Katherine Healy over one summer. I think her Giselle is going to be lively and charming like Nakano's instead of proper and classical like Gordeeva's and Bobek's.

Wait! You omitted Yu-Na Haters! :lol:

riveredge
12-03-2010, 03:42 AM
omg yuna bots are really retarded

Wow. You can really count...let's drink. :lol::P

PUNKPRINCESS
12-03-2010, 04:32 AM
It's okay if there is ;) But if there is, can we get pictures and your full notes? :rollin:
Okay, I admit it. :( Here it is. (http://i36.tinypic.com/21maluf.jpg)

Full notes will have to wait until after 2011 Worlds. ;)

RumbleFish
12-03-2010, 04:47 AM
IIRC, Ando skated to Memory of Geisha during 2008/09 GPF in Goyang, Korea, but no one really gave a hoot about her music choice. Likewise, skating fans in Japan will most likely enjoy skating for itself rather than bringing up nationalistic bias.

For handful of lunatics who are scared of Yuna winning the Worlds skating to 'Homage to Korea' in your soil, you should stop bitching in this thread and start petitioning to the Japanese Federation to give up hosting the 2011 Worlds. I am pretty sure many federations, including Koreans, would be more than happy to become the alternate host.

RunnersHigh
12-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Germans do not dare to openly singing Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles, uber alles in der Welt…. And quite a few Russian immigrants and Russians in Russia still would not play Wagner or Oktoberfest polkas in their houses, and avoid hearing them in public places…..

……..and yet we all love to travel to Germany, and think quite highly of German arts, literature, philosophers, business structures, products, today’s society….

……. and yet we still, on the 9th of may, put on the songs by Russian Red Army Choir, and listen to Katusha, Moldovanka, Manchurian Valse, Rise the Great Country, The Partisans…

……. And of all the places in EU most of us think that Germany is the best place to live…. And Germans make the best business partners….

…….. and yet we cringe from Wagner and don’t dance polkas (some of us)….. but do dance Viennese Valse, Vienna – the birth place of Hitler….……. Go figure…..

Then, how US and German crowds react to the Russian folk songs and Russian composers' piece of music?
How French crowds react to the Scotish, Irish and English folk songs?
How Korean and Chinese crowds react to the Japanese music?

Did they ever overreact like you?

Do you remember? During the 2008-2009 season, Aliona Savchenko & Robin Szolkowy from Germany used "Schindler's list" as their long Program and they performed the program all around the world including German Championships. The music number was so political but they did what you've never ever dreamed of.

Kudos to S/S. :respec:

bek
12-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Arirang is a Folk Song with lots of history and several versions.

Arirang had also become a symbol of Korean resistance in the 1930’s against Japanese invasion and a symbol of National pride and identity. It is no longer simply a Folk Song…..

I disagree here, because could I suggest based on that argument the US National Anthem should be banned in Great Britain after all the song actually is references war with Great Britain. :lol: But now since the British pretty much accept that America is an independent country the song is hardly offensive. Same goes for Arirang, if Arirang was a symbol it was a symbol because it represented Korean culture. And the facts are that the Japanese at the time were trying to wipe out Korean culture. The song though had meaning before Japan invaded, and it has meaning now. There are apparently versions of the song that are 600 years old. Somehow I don't think when Koreans hear the song, they think of Japan. Instead, I gather that they think of Korea and as mentioned you can hardly do a Korean folk melody without Arirang. Its played from what I understand everywhere in Korea.

dinakt
12-03-2010, 06:43 AM
I agree with kwanfan1818- music for skating can exist with of without the context for which it was originally created. Yu-Na might choose to create a theatrical version of "Giselle" using the music and the story, and omit any balletic references. However, if she chooses to present it as a retelling of a ballet, her line and toes are fair game.
Some musical pieces have such strong association with particular context, they cannot exist without it, but such pieces are rare. Even something like " Schindler's List" can be skated as a story, as an allusion to the story or just as a beautiful musical score. I do understand that people who know ballet and skating equally well might take ballet " reinventions" very personally. On FSO there was an absolutely vicious discussion about Ilinykh/ Katsalapov and whether there is anything good about their FD. I personally like it, and might like Yu-Na's "Giselle", but I am only a casual ballet fan ( Vishneva is divine though, and thank you posters for the links! Gordeeva is divine, too:)). Still, perhaps when one switches genres one should shift expectations, as well.
It took me half a year to get over the fact that D/W's " Samson and Delilah" version had a singer who sang flat ( not a completely logical leap, but oh well). By Worlds I did not care and what a great performance it was.

kwanfan1818
12-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Do you remember? During the 2008-2009 season, Aliona Savchenko & Robin Szolkowy from Germany used "Schindler's list" as their long Program and they performed the program all around the world including German Championships. The music number was so political but they did what you've never ever dreamed of.
At 2007 Europeans a German team, a Russian team, and a Polish team shared the podium without much fuss, so things do change.

People are also able to co-exist with contradictions. In the '70's, I was on a college program in Germany with a fellow Jewish student who was a serious student of German, and when his parents came to visit him in Europe, they insisted on meeting him in Paris, because they would not set foot on German soil. At the same time, they had no objections to him studying German language and literature or in Germany and were paying his tuition.

shine
12-03-2010, 07:41 AM
move
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/move

Bridget, or dictionary...Bridget, or dictionary...

I think I'll go with dictionary. :rolleyes:

Balletic moves = balletic movements = balletlike moves = balletlike movements

Ballet moves = the moves of Ballet.
Can someone stop talking or lecturing others about ballet and dance and movements when he/she obviously has no idea what they are? :scream::wall:

riveredge
12-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Can someone stop talking or lecturing others about ballet and dance and movements when he/she obviously has no idea what they are? :scream::wall:

The same goes to some who have no idea what Arirang is all about and the history behind it. :P

DickButtonFan
12-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Here's Arakawa's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgTivbUNKWI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Unfortunately the commentator is horrible, it's the same commentator that called 1/2 of Sasha's elements incorrectly at a Trophee Lalique event years ago. Sorry if it's already been posted.

Can't wait to see Yuna's programs as they sound lovely.:)

shine
12-03-2010, 08:30 AM
The same goes to some who have no idea what Arirang is all about and the history behind it. :P
.....??

Here's Arakawa's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgTivbUNKWI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

PML. I love how it needed to be specified that it is "YUNA KIM's SP music for the 10-11 season". :rofl: Yes, that's what Giselle is.

DickButtonFan
12-03-2010, 08:36 AM
.....??

PML. I love how it needed to be specified that it is "YUNA KIM's SP music for the 10-11 season". :rofl: Yes, that's what Giselle is.

LOL, oh and don't you just love that youtuber's username lol.