PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28

Allen
12-02-2010, 10:19 PM
There is no "Kim shrine" in my room, or in my mind. I like her very much--as a skater--although she is not my favorite.

It's okay if there is ;) But if there is, can we get pictures and your full notes? :rollin:

IceAlisa
12-02-2010, 10:21 PM
And yet just 2 blocks from the Gate down Unter den Linden, in a Staatsoper House, hundreds of Germans are attending “Evgeny Onegin” and “Swan Lake”…..
The prima ballerina at the Berlin ballet is Polina Semionova, one of my favorites and a product of Bolshoi. :swoon:
Oh and doesn't Akiko Suzuki skate to Fiddler on the Roof, and rather well, I might add.

Iceman
12-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I believe Ando skated Giselle the same season Yukari did, but abandoned it after very few, maybe as few as one, performance. I wondered if she did that because in comparison to Yukari's, her Giselle was a very distant runner up in comparison imo.

Iceman
12-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Yukai's exciting, breath-taking Giselle---wonderful jumping, great spins, energy, speed.

Makes one realize, even more, what a dismal season this has been.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/DsAfuefLVJk/

Miki's very good but less effective attempt imo. Great jumps, but less of most everything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF3xIepN29U

RunnersHigh
12-02-2010, 11:41 PM
I believe Ando skated Giselle the same season Yukari did, but abandoned it after very few, may as few as one, performance. I wondered if she did that because in comparison to Yukari's, her Giselle was a very distant runner up in comparison imo.

IIRC, back to Skate America 2008, they both performed the program at Free skate and Miki abandoned Giselle after the competition.

John 3 17
12-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Hey, look what I found: Katia Gordeeva skating to Giselle in a pro competition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQDYH4xUYs). I know some of you will be pleased to see this.

That was my first introduction to Giselle. I immediately went to the library and checked out a VHS of a Russian ballet production. Beautiful. Katia's is sublime and noone, not even St. Yuna, will ever top it for me. I also loved Yukari's, she brought speed and charm and I love her facial expressions (her leg wrap was getting better in a lot of jumps by that time and didn't bother me too much).

-Bridget

RunnersHigh
12-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Arirang is a Folk Song with lots of history and several versions.
That's right. There're too many to enumerate.

Arirang had also become a symbol of Korean resistance in the 1930’s against Japanese invasion and a symbol of National pride and identity. It is no longer simply a Folk Song…..
Wow that's a NEW definition of Arirang and What?
In 1930's, how a folk song can be known to the whole Korean Peninsula?
And I'm over 40 and NEVER made the connection between Arirang and Japan.

YN Kim’s biggest rival at present is Japanese Mao Asada (never mind the skaters’ conditions today – the last two times they met on ice – the competition was strictly between these two).

Judging by comments in discussion forums between Japanese and Korean fans, in some instances “nationalism” and “past history” elements do come up…..

Older Koreans and Japanese do remember past history…..

I do not believe in forbidding any music….. But I do think that for a top Korean skater whose main rival is a top Japanese skater, and with all the history behind, and the symbolism of this Folk song, skating to “Arirang” in Tokyo, even today, is potentially “controversial”.
Then tell me,

Do you believe the user who first issued this wild idea is over 80?
Do you believe Yu-Na's Arirang is the exact (or similar) Arirang which
resistance used?
Did you ever hear the whole Arirangs?
Why Japanese do frequently play Arirang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGdB2w1xxqY&feature=related) without repulsion?

Nice try but again the theory has full of contradictions. :blah:
Study Arirangs more!

theicemarks
12-03-2010, 12:28 AM
That was my first introduction to Giselle. I immediately went to the library and checked out a VHS of a Russian ballet production. Beautiful. Katia's is sublime and noone, not even St. Yuna, will ever top it for me. I also loved Yukari's, she brought speed and charm and I love her facial expressions (her leg wrap was getting better in a lot of jumps by that time and didn't bother me too much).

-Bridget

Although I think Katia's was the best out of the bunch, it still came across as a bit cheesy for me. I really hope Yuna brings something fresh and current to the table.. and I hope she's not reading all these forums debating over balletic this or toe point that. In the end, I just want another masterpiece that people will enjoy and remember.

IceAlisa
12-03-2010, 12:51 AM
How many more 'bots will register just for this thread alone, I wonder... :P

kittyjake5
12-03-2010, 01:31 AM

I would say about 55 zillion million, give or take a few zillion.

riveredge
12-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Regarding “Arirang” and “Japanese audience”.

International audience usually do welcome foreign songs, music and cultural events as a form of entertainment and even have their favorites from different countries.

Classical Russian Music, Ballet, most Folk songs are hardly ever a problem in USA, Germany or other countries, since they are associated with the “Best Export from Russia” – dance, classical music, skating, and other performing arts. Bells of Moscow by Rachmaninoff is not viewed in USA as a “Cold War” symbol.

However, some folk songs or music pieces do become symbols of resistance and national unity in times of war or conflict between countries, and did/do serve to inspire “patriotism”, and sometimes remain as such “symbols” for certain periods of time in history.

Russian Folk song “Katusha” (a girl’s name and a name for artillery rocket launcher during WWII) became a symbol of resistance to Germans during the war, and Russian soldiers sang it as they turned towards Berlin in 1945, and sang it as they entered Berlin, and sang it for many years after…….

And now few older and even mischievous younger Russians in Berlin still sing it, dressed in military uniforms, on May 9th, in front of Brandenburg Gate, some times as entertainment for tourists and in some cases for sake of “Tour de Force”…. The local Germans don’t like it….. but they’ve been so beaten into submission with the “sense of guilt” that they keep quiet and walk away….. And yet just 2 blocks from the Gate down Unter den Linden, in a Staatsoper House, hundreds of Germans are attending “Evgeny Onegin” and “Swan Lake”…..

Germans do not dare to openly singing Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles, uber alles in der Welt…. And quite a few Russian immigrants and Russians in Russia still would not play Wagner or Oktoberfest polkas in their houses, and avoid hearing them in public places…..

……..and yet we all love to travel to Germany, and think quite highly of German arts, literature, philosophers, business structures, products, today’s society….

……. and yet we still, on the 9th of may, put on the songs by Russian Red Army Choir, and listen to Katusha, Moldovanka, Manchurian Valse, Rise the Great Country, The Partisans…

……. And of all the places in EU most of us think that Germany is the best place to live…. And Germans make the best business partners….

…….. and yet we cringe from Wagner and don’t dance polkas (some of us)….. but do dance Viennese Valse, Vienna – the birth place of Hitler….……. Go figure…..

I can write a dissertation on what music exchange should and should not take place between Russians, Jews and Germans even today…. down to every tune, folk song and piece of classical music..

Then there is “Bella Ciao”, the Italian Folk song, turned into a Partisan Anthem.

Then there is “Marselliese” in a scene from “Casablanca” where French bar patrons stand up to sing it when Germans walk in.

Then there is Etzel Anthem (Irgun Anthem), base on an old Jewish Folk song…… would not be cool to skate to today if event is in Istanbul…. :D…… heck, I would not even skate to “Fiddler on the Roof” in any countries not friendly to Israel…..

Then there is singing of “Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rules the waves” …… in a middle of Paris….. :D.. still would not be cool…… :D.

Singing The Bonnie Blue Flag before Obama’s speech in the middle of Washington would not be cool either, even if its roots are in a “historic folk song”.

Arirang is a Folk Song with lots of history and several versions.

Arirang had also become a symbol of Korean resistance in the 1930’s against Japanese invasion and a symbol of National pride and identity. It is no longer simply a Folk Song…..

YN Kim’s biggest rival at present is Japanese Mao Asada (never mind the skaters’ conditions today – the last two times they met on ice – the competition was strictly between these two).

Judging by comments in discussion forums between Japanese and Korean fans, in some instances “nationalism” and “past history” elements do come up…..

Older Koreans and Japanese do remember past history…..

I do not believe in forbidding any music….. But I do think that for a top Korean skater whose main rival is a top Japanese skater, and with all the history behind, and the symbolism of this Folk song, skating to “Arirang” in Tokyo, even today, is potentially “controversial”.

I wonder how long it took to you to do some research for this? :lol: Seriously even some Mao fans were not even bothered about Yuna's LP music. And Yuna's LP is not even entirely Arirang, it's a compilation of other Korean folk songs including Arirang. :P

It's funny how you took time, when you haven't even seen her programs. Unbelievable. :lol:

theicemarks
12-03-2010, 02:07 AM

I've been reading this forum on and off for quite some time, but I'm a huge fan of Yuna, so of course I decided to join when news came out about her new programs.

I love how active this thread is!

love skating
12-03-2010, 02:36 AM
The first Giselle program I remember was Nicole Bobek's. I loved that program. Sadly that was when Carlo Fassi passed away during Worlds and I always think of Nicole crying on the ice at the end of her program. She skated it very well at Nationals to make that World team. I'm a little surprised it isn't more over-used skating music. It is lovely music.

Marco
12-03-2010, 02:56 AM
The first Giselle program I remember was Nicole Bobek's. I loved that program. Sadly that was when Carlo Fassi passed away during Worlds and I always think of Nicole crying on the ice at the end of her program. She skated it very well at Nationals to make that World team. I'm a little surprised it isn't more over-used skating music. It is lovely music.

Bobek's and Gordeeva's were the most memorable and beautiful. Nakano's was charming.

To sum up all the crazy discussions:

Yuna ubers: Yuna is already a 95 and way above the rest, she can be 100 if she works on the minor details. She doesn't need them to win, but she needs them to be PERFECT, which she is already very close to.

Ballet ubers: don't bet on Yuna turning into Katherine Healy over one summer. I think her Giselle is going to be lively and charming like Nakano's instead of proper and classical like Gordeeva's and Bobek's.

riveredge
12-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Bobek's and Gordeeva's were the most memorable and beautiful. Nakano's was charming.

To sum up all the crazy discussions:

Yuna ubers: Yuna is already a 95 and way above the rest, she can be 100 if she works on the minor details. She doesn't need them to win, but she needs them to be PERFECT, which she is already very close to.

Ballet ubers: don't bet on Yuna turning into Katherine Healy over one summer. I think her Giselle is going to be lively and charming like Nakano's instead of proper and classical like Gordeeva's and Bobek's.

Amen.