PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Tinami Amori
12-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Bridget, or dictionary...Bridget, or dictionary...

PUNKPRINCESS, or facts..... PUNKPRINCESS, of facts.......

I guess facts..... :smokin:

History of Figure Skating in USA
http://www.ehow.com/about_6393516_history-figure-skating-u_s_.html

Dancing
Jackson Haines, an American skater, introduced ballet and music to soften a sport that he characterized as too rigid. Snubs by his own countrymen caused him to move to Vienna in 1863 and a year later, he began aggressively choreographing fluid movements set to music, much like stage ballet. Also in keeping with ballet, he added costumes, elements such as pirouettes and spins that the Austrian crowds enjoyed, and created the one-piece boot and blade. Haines'*style*was the basis for what is now used in modern competition.

Ballet in the Winter Olympics?
http://detroitoperahouse.blogspot.com/2010/02/ballet-in-winter-olympics.html

It was actually the Russians who became the first to successfully integrate ballet techniques into ice skating in 1964. Some believe that the influence of this style dated back to the 1890s when Russian aristocrats held lavish ice festivals where skaters were choreographed by masters of the Kirov and Bolshoi schools. Several ballet positions can be seen in the choreography of figure skaters.

Beginning figure skaters are even encouraged to make ballet a part of their training programs as it is believed that ballet helps the skater with the appropriate posture and helps them become more aware of their bodies. Ballet is also assists skaters with their speed, coordination, balance, flexibility and artistry.

Training Classes
http://www.balletforfigureskaters.com/
http://www.icerink.co.za/ballet.htm

Literature
http://www.balletsecretsforskaters.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Alignment-Classical-Movement-Skaters/dp/1574724037

Shows

Swan Lake Ballet on ice
http://www.balletonice.com/

Nutcracker Ballet on ice
http://www.maestroartist.com/event-details-15-date-40.aspx

Sleeping Beauty Ballet on ice
http://www.maestroartist.com/event-details-16-date-45.aspx

Cinderella Ballet on ice
http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_09/oct09/nr_rev_imperial_ice_stars_0910.htm

Carmen Ballet on ice
http://www.chiptaylor.com/ttlmnp2375-.cfm

:watch:

eyh201
12-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Well, at least we are not going to see Giselle's hunched back or wrapped legs. :) I wonder how some of the posters stood the awkward postures of the past Giselle performances. :lol:

Plus, Kim's Giselle will be speedy and powerful. Isn't it fantastic? :)

galaxy
12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I understood what she means but I'm surprised she considers WC in Tokyo to be "the right time" for this music. I know she wants to do it for Korean audience, but Japan & Korea have difficult history and it can look a bit controversial. Why can't she skate to this music at WC in France instead?

I don't think it would make much difference if she skated it in France.

"An homage to her home country, a love letter from Kim to Korea." Such a message a.k.a. patriotism is a very personal feeling. It is not something she shares with audience, unless the audience is her countrymen.

If, for instance, Evgeni Plushenko, skated to an homage to Russia in US, expressing his love to Russia and expressing his thanks to supports from his home country in US, featuring Russian folk music, how many of US audience would be pleased, touched, moved and get highly enthusiastic?
If, for instance, Evan Lysacek, skated to an homage to US in Russia, expressing his love to US and expressing thanks to supports from US people , featuring American folk music, would Russian audience be pleased, touched, moved and get highly enthusiastic?

I don't think so.

And if, for instance, Mao Asada skated to...... no, no. I think I should stop here...

riveredge
12-02-2010, 02:41 PM
^Come on now...it's not really a big deal. :lol: What Yuna said, it's more of a gift to them who supported her for years.

I, for one is excited about "Homage to Korea". The music is powerful and beautiful. :D

Shaia
12-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Wow. It seems like a few trolls are still at it... and even admitting that they are having fun... how pathetic.

The undisputed fact is that Yuna is the best skater in the world right now, and in the opinion of many, one of the greatest ever.

If a competition right now featured your best "balletic" skater performing Giselle and Yuna also performing Giselle, I would bet anything that Yuna would still crush her by a large margin of score. That's because once again, figure skating has very little to do with ballet.

And has it ever occurred to you that Yuna chose Giselle (a music that has been frequently used) not because she wants to emulate more traditional "balletic" skaters, but to once again further expand the dimension of figure skating and bring innovation to figure skating?

RunnersHigh
12-02-2010, 02:52 PM

"An homage to her home country, a love letter from Kim to Korea." Such a message a.k.a. patriotism is a very personal feeling. It is not something she shares with audience, unless the audience is her countrymen.

If, for instance, Evgeni Plushenko, skated to an homage to Russia in US, expressing his love to Russia and expressing his thanks to supports from his home country in US, featuring Russian folk music, how many of US audience would be pleased, touched, moved and get highly enthusiastic?
If, for instance, Evan Lysacek, skated to an homage to US in Russia, expressing his love to US and expressing thanks to supports from US people , featuring American folk music, would Russian audience be pleased, touched, moved and get highly enthusiastic?

I don't think so.

And if, for instance, Mao Asada skated to...... no, no. I think I should stop here...

Then Mirai's LP, "Memoirs of a Geisha" should not be performed in China and France.

And Michal BREZINA's short program, "Japanese Kodo Drums", must be performed ONLY in Japan and his long program "An American in Paris" ONLY in US and France not in Russia.

Plus was that the reason Arakawa won NHK 2004 cuz her SP was "Madame Butterfly"?

JerseySlore
12-02-2010, 03:20 PM

I don't think so.

You don't seem to realize how much of war horse some of the popular Russian folk music have become in fs. Dark eyes, Kalinka, etc.
And if Mao Asada skated to what? I hope you weren't thinking of Kimigayo.

theicemarks
12-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Wow. It seems like a few trolls are still at it... and even admitting that they are having fun... how pathetic.

The undisputed fact is that Yuna is the best skater in the world right now, and in the opinion of many, one of the greatest ever.

If a competition right now featured your best "balletic" skater performing Giselle and Yuna also performing Giselle, I would bet anything that Yuna would still crush her by a large margin of score. That's because once again, figure skating has very little to do with ballet.

And has it ever occurred to you that Yuna chose Giselle (a music that has been frequently used) not because she wants to emulate more traditional "balletic" skaters, but to once again further expand the dimension of figure skating and bring innovation to figure skating?:rollin:

Thankyou for that post!

Rob
12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes the trained dancer in me cringes a little when she does her spiral basically in parallel, but I also cringe when the gorgeously balletic Alissa does her spiral with that awful open hip and leg sticking out to the side.

THIS! and it doesn't matter what music is in the background.

That said, if a skater is going to take on a story ballet, I like to see a ballet interpretation with nice lines and no hydrant positions. I like the choreography to fit the music. If someone came out and did a traditional serious (not tongue in cheek) ballet interpretation in a Giselle costume to hip hop techno music, I would be a little :huh: about what to do with PCS. Just like I don't expect to see YuNa come out in a unitard and do techno Giselle to classical music.

I am looking forward to seeing YuNa do Giselle - at present, I think she would be more than capable of the characterization and the upper body positions. Her lower leg extensions/lack of turn out in the working leg will not bother my ballet-trained eye so much if she keeps the knee straight and gets her toe winged up a little more. But again, this is the case with any program she does. I like nice lines.

IceAlisa
12-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Well, at least we are not going to see Giselle's hunched back or wrapped legs. :) I wonder how some of the posters stood the awkward postures of the past Giselle performances. :lol:

You mean Yukari Nakano? I finally saw her performance and yes, the leg wrap is jarring which is probably why I avoid watching her in general. Towards the end of the program she made Giselle like moves, hopping on one toepick, picking flowers, etc. It was kind of cute I guess. But that's not what I look for. I was never a big fan of Nakano anyway and this did little to win me over.

Her lower leg extensions/lack of turn out in the working leg will not bother my ballet-trained eye so much if she keeps the knee straight and gets her toe winged up a little more. But again, this is the case with any program she does. I like nice lines. I am a bit concerned with her attempting to improve her turnout because an injury or a problem with jumps or edging is the last thing she needs. However, pointing her toes, extending and especially straightening the knee of the free leg would be terrific.

ponta1
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Plus, Kim's Giselle will be speedy and powerful. Isn't it fantastic? :)

I'm assuming by wrapped legs you're referring to Yukari Nakano; I never thought she skated with a hunched back, nor had any awkward postures.

Yukari just has such a stately presence about her. I thought her Giselle was beautiful, just as I'm sure Yuna's will be as well.

Rob
12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Someone else did Giselle the same year as Yukari. At the beginning of the season at least - I remember dueling Giselles at one competition. Who was it? Miki? I remember that I preferred Yukari's despite the annoying leg wrap.

kwanfan1818
12-02-2010, 05:01 PM
It was Ando's, and it was dreck. We saw each skate the program at Skate America in Everett, and the performances may have been back-to-back. Ando later dropped the program.

Rob
12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
It was Ando's, and it was dreck. We saw each skate the program at Skate America in Everett, and the performances may have been back-to-back. Ando later dropped the program.

That is it - and I think they were back to back.

IceAlisa
12-02-2010, 05:20 PM
I didn't know Ando did a Giselle program but am not in any hurry to see it.