PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

John 3 17
12-02-2010, 05:20 AM
I think we're in Gaslight or The Twilight Zone... cue the creepy music!

I have no "difficulty" in understanding that which can be understood. I'm not to be expected to understand gobbledy-gook. The day I do is the day I'll be in Bedlam.

-Bridget

PUNKPRINCESS
12-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Let me make it clear for you again, John 3 17 :)

That's why Elvis raised such a stink about it in the '90s. I well remember him bemoaning that ballet shouldn't be the only movement that could be represented on the ice, thus his karate themed programs (I disagreed with him).
Disagreement with the above statement = you believe that ballet SHOULD be the only movement that could be represented on the ice.

And I never said skating had to have "only" balletic moves.
Sorry, Bridget! You did, by my explanation above. Your disagreement with Elvis means exactly that.

Look up the word "contradiction" in the dictionary! ;)

Tinami Amori
12-02-2010, 05:27 AM
I'm afraid I find you exceedingly boring and there is little of value in speaking with you, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

It took you 5 pages of arguing with me to come to this conclusion? Looks to me like you simply ran out of arguments trying to prove something ridiculous.. :D.

On the role of Ballet in Figure Skating, do read carefully the following post:

PUNKPRINCESS………the idea that ballet is a strong influence on skating has been around time out of mind, because it has and it is. You're denying an irrefutable fact of skating; this has never been debated like this before among skating fans. It's a given. Yunabots want skating to revolve around her. If she's not good at something then that something needs to be denied according to them. Sorry, skating has been around competitively for 115 years and ballet is where it gets its lines..

……

I have to disagree with you a bit though. I disagree with the idea that the music of Giselle must only be told in a form of dance called ballet. Why for example can't for example Jazz artists listen to Giselle, and redo Giselle, telling her story but through Jazz dance. Was Daisuke's "hip hop Swan Lake" wrong? Part of what make art great is when art can grow and even in someways feed off of other art. Its rather limiting IMO to say that the music of Giselle can only be told one way. I'd suggest that its far more important that Kim's program stay true to the meaning of the story than it have all the moves from the ballet..

There is nothing to disagree about, because I’ve mentioned, as an example, Arakawa’s Syber-Swan SP where classical ballet music is used in a modern context and does not require “ballet elements”.

“Jazzed up” Giselle will not require them. Daisuke Hip-Hop Swan does not either.....

Kim is skating to the classical soundtrack, not a “modern variation”.

John 3 17
12-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Let me make it clear for you again, John 3 17 :)

Disagreement with the above statement = you believe that ballet SHOULD be the only movement that could be represented on the ice.

Sorry, Bridget! You did, by my explanation above. Your disagreement with Elvis means exactly that.

Look up the word "contradiction" in the dictionary! ;)

Again, "moves" and "movement" are two. different. things. I'm not contradicting myself. You are purposely misunderstanding me. Look at my quotes: one quote says "movement" the other "moves". Two. different. things.

-Bridget

PUNKPRINCESS
12-02-2010, 05:33 AM
It took you 5 pages of arguing with me to come to this conclusion? Looks to me like you simply ran out of arguments trying to prove something ridiculous.. :D.
Uhh....yeah. You believe what you want! :yawn:

PUNKPRINCESS
12-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Again, "moves" and "movement" are two. different. things. I'm not contradicting myself. You are purposely misunderstanding me. Look at my quotes: one quote says "movement" the other "moves". Two. different. things.

-Bridget
move
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/move

–noun
an act or instance of moving; movement.
Bridget, or dictionary...Bridget, or dictionary...

I think I'll go with dictionary. :rolleyes:

Balletic moves = balletic movements = balletlike moves = balletlike movements

Ballet moves = the moves of Ballet.

RunnersHigh
12-02-2010, 05:47 AM
bek, don't bother...I think Tinami Amori is beyond salvation. I can at least try to get something interesting or entertaining from other posters...but TA is a lost cause.

No surprise at all cuz I remember what TA said before on Yu-Na's 007 and commercial. TA's criticism is a good omen for Figure Skating. :D

JeffClair1979
12-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Everyone- we haven't even seen it yet! And, this is coming from a not-so-much-Yu-Na-fan... Speculation can be a real bitch sometimes... No need for such harsh feelings or reactions! Let's discuss generally without making it personal! i think this is a nice stretch for Yu-Na, but still within the realm of what she can achieve. Let's just see if she thinks she's too busy for that or not! :D

let`s talk
12-02-2010, 07:33 AM
:rofl: You are delightfully evil.
:hat1:The truth can be delightfully dangerous.

let`s talk
12-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Yuna's pic:
http://pics.livejournal.com/bomparam/pic/003f43cs

IceAlisa
12-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Good point. There are many ex-skaters or parents of skaters with a failed careers around here. Those people or their offsprings have never reached their goals, so their bitchingness has its sources.
The other types of posters here are figure-skating fans with no negative burden behind their back. They often become the targets to attack.
Not sure about ballet circles (I have never been in ballet) but in ballroom dancing the attitde between dancers are surely much healthier and not bitchy at all. Probably because they are not losers, they are all into their favorite business or hobby and don't really have a desire to bitch on online forums.

So what attracted you to this particular forum? What motivates your desire to bitch? :saint:

:hat1:The truth can be delightfully dangerous.
Indeed. ;)

let`s talk
12-02-2010, 08:32 AM
So what attracted you to this particular forum? What motivates your desire to bitch? :saint:

Now you are the one who is bitching. Your motivations are known.

kwanfan1818
12-02-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't think that choosing the classical version of a ballet automatically requires that the interpretation be balletic any more than I think any version of "Thais" has to depict the relationship between a courtesan and a priest. If a skater comes out in a non-Romantic-style dress and skates abstract choreography to "Swan Lake" or "Giselle", there's not reason it has to look balletic, especially given the range of music in the scores. It's possible to reflect the character of the music abstractly. It would be a risky choice, since there are associations with the music, but that's also true of choosing music that's associated with other skaters.

However, if a skater comes out in a "Giselle" peasant dress and starts hopping on her toepick and/or picking the petals off daisies, then if she doesn't look balletic or otherwise offer something that fits the character, like Nakano's "Giselle", she wouldn't meet the PCS criteria to fit the theme.

IceAlisa
12-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Now you are the one who is bitching. Your motivations are known.

I am having fun. What are you doing? (besides dodging my question) :P

let`s talk
12-02-2010, 09:05 AM
I am having fun. What are you doing? (besides dodging my question) :P

Trying to keep the thread ontopic (not fun for you, sorry).

Yuna's practice here, as well as her coach's comments about her SP and FS:
www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=69d959fe-e228-447c-9d4c-929bd6fa31c4.html#practice+video+yuna+kim