PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 06:00 AM
The issue I am driving at, is why are there expectations of a ballet focus from one skater and not another? And there is also the hinted accusation that Yu-Na is co-opting beloved ballet music without dedicating it appropriately to ballet.
:huh: You lost me there.

But somehow it is fine when using ballet music for a techno twist, and a skating performance based on that techno-infused remix? Seems like a double standard that isn't articulated very well. I mean, why didn't Takahashi just decide to use a pure techno song? Why did he have to use techno Swan Lake, if he had no intention of doing anything ballet-related, hmm? :P
Techno is a modern concept, agreed? The music Daisuke used is pretty much a techno song based on Swan lake. It's more techno than Tchaikovsky. So therefore, it's reasonable to choreograph a program that's more techno. There is no mention of Yuna using a version other than the classical one. She also talked about this being ballet music and that she likes the story. It is therefore implied that she is interested in interpreting the ballet as it is, no twists, no modern takes.

Then I'm sorry for you. I think I'll enjoy it just fine, just as I enjoyed many skating performances without knowing the source or story behind the music. Oh the curse of having a discriminating taste. :lol:

And and Elvis Stojko and his comments stem from his own insecurities about limitations of his own skating.

riveredge
12-01-2010, 06:06 AM
"Giselle", Yuna needs to improve her lines, pointed toes, extensions, etc.

"Arirang", is too controversial.

Unbelievable. I guess she can't catch a break. :lol:

Nomad
12-01-2010, 06:08 AM
"Giselle", Yuna needs to improve her lines, pointed toes, extensions, etc. ...

I like Yuna and was happy that she won a world title and OGM, but I also think she could improve on all those things, no matter what kind of music she skates to.

alilou
12-01-2010, 06:18 AM
If you personally dislike Yuna, that is absolutely fine. But repeatedly voicing your personal dislike for one particular skater and attacking that skater and her fans in a thread opened to talk about the skater's new programs? That is inflammatory in my book.

Shaia sweetie, I don't think John 3 17 personally dislikes Yuna at all. But it's obvious she loves ballet, and I suspect, knows quite a bit about it. She is in no way attacking Yuna and I'm kinda :confused: that you think she is. There's nothing inflammatory about her posts.

As has been said before - this is a discussion board. You would probably be happier at a Yuna fan site.

RunnersHigh
12-01-2010, 06:54 AM
^This.

Shaia, I think you're new here.
Take what alilou and some others wrote above. This forum allows users to criticize (or praise) skaters, coaches and ppl concerned with skating.

A skater with injuries on her pelvis has no reason to extend or point her toes. And Yu-Na's weak points, some said, are nothing. Don't make a great disturbance about a trifle. ;)

Skating fans already have some balletic skaters like Allisa, Ashley and Mirai.

synawe
12-01-2010, 06:58 AM
With all due respect, anyone can criticize and no one is perfect.
However, we still have to watch out those who keep bickering over relatively minor issues merely to degrade and troll the person of subject, Yuna Kim here.

How do we know?
Quite simple!

Ernest criticizer should be ready to give respects and compliment to other excellences of the subject in proportionally proper significance at the same time.
But I have not seen it from IceAlisa and John317.
Thus, I cannot help believing that they are merely trolling Yuna.

kwanfan1818
12-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Bad quality video, but Gelsey Kirkland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Tgfx5jFkI). Then there's Giselle variation by 9 Ballerinas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KX6V4Snyvk&feature=related).

RunnersHigh
12-01-2010, 07:14 AM
synawe, wanna another round? Take it easy. They're not haters but want some more ballerinas and ballerinos on the ice.

RunnersHigh
12-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Then there's Giselle variation by 9 Ballerinas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KX6V4Snyvk&feature=related).

Yukari Nakano's costume! Irina Kolesnikova.

synawe
12-01-2010, 07:25 AM
synawe, wanna another round? Take it easy. They're not haters but want some more ballerinas and ballerinos on the ice.

RunnerHigh, I don't want to cause any unnecessary disturbance but would not cop out the discussion for the balanced view either.

You sound so sure of what you said but how can you be so sure and disregard other's view?

I explained the reasoning of my conclusion and would appreciate if you can explain your.

portia
12-01-2010, 07:50 AM
I love this. You guys are bitchier than the posters on ballet boards I frequent, hell, most of you are bitchier than actual dancers I know, and that's saying a lot.

I have to say it's wrong to assume those who believe Yuna needs improvements in the lines dept. are Yuna haters. I actually prefer her to all other ladies skaters still competing, but that doesn't mean I only want to read and write about how perfect she is. For that, I could go to Yuna's forum. Anyways she could be so much better if she just makes these corrections.

Also just like to reiterate that if a skater chooses to skate to famous ballet music, then she/ he should realize there are raised expectations in how they interpret it. If the discussions spills into whether the particular skater has the attributes to do justice to ballet on ice, then that's also fair speculation IMO.

Tinami Amori
12-01-2010, 08:20 AM
I think I'll enjoy it just fine, just as I enjoyed many skating performances without knowing the source or story behind the music.

As in “Ignorance is a bliss”?……… :D

You apparently don’t know “the sources and stories” behind few things, including your own nick: “Punk-Princess” is technically an oxymoron. When Johnny Rotten sang “God Save the Queen” it was not meant to praise the Royal Family....... :rofl:

ponta1
12-01-2010, 08:40 AM
I love this. You guys are bitchier than the posters on ballet boards I frequent, hell, most of you are bitchier than actual dancers I know, and that's saying a lot.

I have to say it's wrong to assume those who believe Yuna needs improvements in the lines dept. are Yuna haters. I actually prefer her to all other ladies skaters still competing, but that doesn't mean I only want to read and write about how perfect she is. For that, I could go to Yuna's forum. Anyways she could be so much better if she just makes these corrections.

Also just like to reiterate that if a skater chooses to skate to famous ballet music, then she/ he should realize there are raised expectations in how they interpret it. If the discussions spills into whether the particular skater has the attributes to do justice to ballet on ice, then that's also fair speculation IMO.

:respec:

John 3 17
12-01-2010, 09:12 AM

I agree with him. Refer again to the above-mentioned Takahashi Swan Lake, or tons of Alexei Yagudin's masterpieces, Jeremy Abbott, Kurt Browning, etc. I find this ballet-preoccupation vis-a-vis skating to be rather narrow-minded and missing the mark.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but those you mention above have balletic lines! They may not be like John Curry, but their lines are acheived through their study of balletic movement. That's why they can create masterpieces, they have gorgeous lines and stretch. Only ballet training (which just about all skaters take) can give them this. I hope you understand this now: skaters get their line from ballet training. All skaters do this (well nearly "all", heck, even Alban is now!).

-Bridget :)

eyh201
12-01-2010, 10:36 AM
If that's the case, then she should be skating to the music from Agon or Bugaku, not Giselle... :cool:

'Balanchine-type' means 'the body type George Balanchine preferred'. It was said that Balanchine liked tall and lean dancers with long arms and legs.

Thus, Dick Button's point was not that Balanchine's works would suit Kim but Kim looked like a ballerina. ;)