PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Lookingood
12-01-2010, 05:16 AM
How about you all wait for her performance at world,then you guys can point out what to improve, what you guys like or not, 4month is not too long:lol:

riveredge
12-01-2010, 05:17 AM
Not everyone who points out her shortcomings cares for her or wishes for an improvement. Duh statement but apparently needed to be said.

Hey Yunabots, don't get your knickers in a twist just cause someone doesn't like your Queen :)

In short, it's called trolling? :P

I guess it makes you feel better for calling us Yunabots.

PUNKPRINCESS
12-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Mm, I personally don't like skaters representing ballet roles. They are two different things to me and skaters never can do it well in skates. Now, if she is just interpreting the music and not attempting to be balletic (which she isn't, despite her beautiful form on the ice), then that's something different.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your entire post correctly, but I agree with you about skaters and ballet roles. Figure skating and ballet are different, and the emphasis on the performances should be different, logically. Oksana Baiul is not my favorite skater, sorry. And as for Sasha, she may have had balletic, exquisite lines, but one could argue she got them from her gymnastics background as well. And having said all that, she is not widely considered the best skater.

No, of course it's not necessary. She could very well win just skating the way she always did to something that happens to be ballet music, especially considering the shape her competition is in right now. But when one hears Giselle and is familiar with ballet, certain images come to mind and certain things are anticipated.

Just like if you are skating to Michael Jackson's music, it would be anticipated that you would do some Michael Jackson-inspired moves. Otherwise, why bother to skate to that particular music. Same with Giselle. Or Swan Lake--they have very strong identities and associations.
Daisuke Takahashi did Swan Lake with a techno beat. :cool: No ballet there, and I don't think anybody cared.

Yu-Na mentioned that she likes the story and character of Giselle. If she had not mentioned that she was interested in doing a ballet-themed performance, I would consider just representing the character through skating as a valid way to use the music.

Or, one could always just appreciate a good piece of music and try to interpret it on its own, as well.

John 3 17
12-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Uh..oh..:lol: March is too far away. We don't know what choreography or David's vision will be like or how Yuna will do.

Can we just wait and see? :lol:

Methinks "Giselle" will have lots of touching of the face and maybe some grimacing (par for the course with Wilson) :lol:

-Bridget :)

Figga
12-01-2010, 05:20 AM
In short, it's called trolling? :P

Maybe. But in a general forum, it's called expressing one's opinion :)

I guess it makes you feel better for calling us Yunabots.
Not really. I am a YuNa fan but bots are annoying. It was not directed at you, but if you feel it applies...

John 3 17
12-01-2010, 05:21 AM
How about you all wait for her performance at world,then you guys can point out what to improve, what you guys like or not, 4month is not too long:lol:

This is a discussion board, we discuss. Sometimes, we discuss things that won't come to pass for years (the "Irina's Pregnant" rumors which preceded her real pregancy by how long?!) :lol:

-Bridget

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Daisuke Takahashi did Swan Lake with a techno beat. :cool: No ballet there, and I don't think anybody cared. Techno being the key word here. If Yuna does a techno Giselle, no one would expect ballet either. :lol: BTW, I consider Techno Swan one of the best SPs ever. Tremendous.

Yu-Na mentioned that she likes the story and character of Giselle. If she had not mentioned that she was interested in doing a ballet-themed performance, I would consider just representing the character through skating as a valid way to use the music.

And she might just do that. And win. But I wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Shaia
12-01-2010, 05:24 AM
I can't believe we are even discussing whether ballet is important to skating! It's been irrefuteable all my fandom days.

Again, I completely disagree. If ballet is important to figure skating, Yuna would not be universally recognized as the top skater today.. heck, most top skaters, such as Michelle, Joannie, Irina, Midori Ito, to name just a few, were never "ballet" style skaters. Back in the old days, people thought female figure skaters should resemble ballet dancers, primarily because, the skaters in the old days lacked physical strength and athleticism of the modern counterparts.

If you haven't noticed, figure skating has evolved into a much more athletic event, but that does not mean artistry is gone. That would be characterized as ADVANCEMENT in any other sport.

riveredge
12-01-2010, 05:24 AM
Maybe. But in a general forum, it's called expressing one's opinion :)

Yeah I know, I've heard it a thousand times already. :P

Methinks "Giselle" will have lots of touching of the face and maybe some grimacing (par for the course with Wilson) :lol:

-Bridget :)

I guess you can't really wait. You haven't seen the program yet. :lol: But judging with your post, I think bad is bad and good will not be enough. :P

John 3 17
12-01-2010, 05:27 AM
Again, I completely disagree. If ballet is important to figure skating, Yuna would not be universally recognized as the top skater today.. heck, most top skaters, such as Michelle, Joannie, Irina, Midori Ito, to name just a few, were never "ballet" style skaters. Back in the old days, people thought female figure skaters should resemble ballet dancers, primarily because, the skaters in the old days lacked physical strength and athleticism of the modern counterparts.

If you haven't noticed, figure skating has evolved into a much more athletic event, but that does not mean artistry is gone. That would be characterized as ADVANCEMENT in any other sport.

Shaia, Shaia, Shaia. As has been repeatedly pointed out: most skaters have balletic influence which gives them their great lines. It doesn't mean they will be ubers like Healy, Baiul, or Cohen, but the influence is there. Irina S, not so much, that I will agree with. Yuna doesn't even have a "firmness" to her lines, let alone toe-point!

-Bridget

PUNKPRINCESS
12-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Techno being the key word here. If Yuna does a techno Giselle, no one would expect ballet either. :lol: BTW, I consider Techno Swan one of the best SPs ever. Tremendous.
The issue I am driving at, is why are there expectations of a ballet focus from one skater and not another? And there is also the hinted accusation that Yu-Na is co-opting beloved ballet music without dedicating it appropriately to ballet. But somehow it is fine when using ballet music for a techno twist, and a skating performance based on that techno-infused remix? Seems like a double standard that isn't articulated very well. I mean, why didn't Takahashi just decide to use a pure techno song? Why did he have to use techno Swan Lake, if he had no intention of doing anything ballet-related, hmm? :P

And she might just do that. And win. But I wouldn't enjoy it as much.
Then I'm sorry for you. I think I'll enjoy it just fine, just as I enjoyed many skating performances without knowing the source or story behind the music.

That's why Elvis raised such a stink about it in the '90s. I well remember him bemoaning that ballet shouldn't be the only movement that could be represented on the ice, thus his karate themed programs (I disagreed with him).
I agree with him. Refer again to the above-mentioned Takahashi Swan Lake, or tons of Alexei Yagudin's masterpieces, Jeremy Abbott, Kurt Browning, etc. I find this ballet-preoccupation vis-a-vis skating to be rather narrow-minded and missing the mark.

riveredge
12-01-2010, 05:38 AM
The issue I am driving at, is why are there expectations of a ballet focus from one skater and not another? And there is also the hinted accusation that Yu-Na is co-opting beloved ballet music without dedicating it appropriately to ballet. But somehow it is fine when using ballet music for a techno twist, and a skating performance based on that techno-infused remix? Seems like a double standard that isn't articulated very well. I mean, why didn't Takahashi just decide to use a pure techno song? Why did he have to use techno Swan Lake, if he had no intention of doing anything ballet-related, hmm? :P

WORD.

Yuna doesn't even have a "firmness" to her lines, let alone toe-point!

Again, we get your point. :P

Shaia
12-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Yuna doesn't even have a "firmness" to her lines, let alone toe-point!

"Firmness" to her lines, what in the world is that??

And toe-point? Just how important is that? Spare me the lecture please.

And what other more objective qualities does Yuna have that other skaters can barely match? Too many to list.

If you personally dislike Yuna, that is absolutely fine. But repeatedly voicing your personal dislike for one particular skater and attacking that skater and her fans in a thread opened to talk about the skater's new programs? That is inflammatory in my book.

Nomad
12-01-2010, 05:51 AM
^ Your posts might be more convincing if you actually made sense.

riveredge
12-01-2010, 05:58 AM
We don't know her choreography yet, the music cut but some already freaking out! :lol:

Please let be March already. :P:lol: