PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 04:46 AM
I can take and welcome constructive criticism about anything in life including Yuna.

But your "criticism" that Yuna has "ugly" "lines" is hardly constructive, and out of place talking about the announcement of her new programs. You will see plenty of that here on FSU. If you can't take it, you know what to do--go to a fansite.

In fact, you just admitted that you have no idea what are "ballad-like lines", and yet, you have been strongly voicing that Yuna lacks such "lines." Enlighten me.

If you can go back and watch Gershwin or any other Yuna performance, and tell me exactly what faults you find in exactly which moments, and why, then such criticism may be constructive and fair - although they would be off-topic for thread. Yuna doesn't extend and point her toes, she doesn't turn out her leg. Her use of arms is at times "windmilly" while I think she could stretch them more and use them more with the rest of her body so that every gesture of the arms is meaningful. She could have more finish in her movements, extend a pose, etc. ESPECIALLY if she is taking on a ballet role. All this has already been discussed.

RunnersHigh
12-01-2010, 04:47 AM
Most frequent posters are ICEAlisa and BURNTBread. :lol:

What a combination. (JK ;))

Shaia
12-01-2010, 04:48 AM
Shaia, I like Yu-Na a lot, but there is no denying that her legs do not create the best lines. I think it is fair to point out that much.

No. That is not fair. It is fair to say Yuna has less flexibility in her legs than other skaters (Mao, Mirai, etc.) / gymnasts / ballad dancers. But in terms of "line" which is inherently subjective rather than objective such as physical flexibility? I don't think it is fair statement. Yuna has one of the BEST LINES I have ever seen in a female skater in the past 20 years.

RumbleFish
12-01-2010, 04:54 AM
BalletAlisa should get a life.

PUNKPRINCESS
12-01-2010, 04:57 AM
No. That is not fair. It is fair to say Yuna has less flexibility in her legs than other skaters (Mao, Mirai, etc.) / gymnasts / ballad dancers. But in terms of "line" which is inherently subjective rather than objective such as physical flexibility? I don't think it is fair statement. Yuna has one of the BEST LINES I have ever seen in a female skater in the past 20 years.
This is untrue.

In order to have good lower-body (i.e. leg) lines, pointing the toe is essential. Yu-Na does not point her toes. This is not subjective; that Yu-Na does not point her toes is widely corroborated by figure skating fans and commentators.

However, there are two questions that remain: in figure skating, is it essential always to point your toes? In the tango pose, Yu-Na is not pointing her toes, but I would argue it's not necessary. Tango does not put high emphasis (if any?) on pointing the toes.

Second, just because Yu-Na chose to skate to a ballet music piece, does that mean she has to present it in a ballet-style? I would argue...cautiously...no. It is not necessary. Just my opinion.

vodkashot
12-01-2010, 05:02 AM

You must not have watched many female skaters in the past 20 years...:slinkaway

John 3 17
12-01-2010, 05:03 AM
I can't believe we are even discussing whether ballet is important to skating! It's been irrefuteable all my fandom days. That's why Elvis raised such a stink about it in the '90s. I well remember him bemoaning that ballet shouldn't be the only movement that could be represented on the ice, thus his karate themed programs (I disagreed with him).

Shaia, it's true that I am no fan of Yuna, but I am a fan of skating and if I see a skater with poor lines (absolutely essential to the aesthtic of skating) I have every reason to post, especially at a "figure skating discussion board". You want a fansite, imo, not a general FS board. Oh, and lines are not "subjective". Lines are lines.

-Bridget

John 3 17
12-01-2010, 05:06 AM
BalletAlisa should get a life.

You first.

-Bridget

brina
12-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Mm, I personally don't like skaters representing ballet roles. They are two different things to me and skaters never can do it well in skates. Now, if she is just interpreting the music and not attempting to be balletic (which she isn't, despite her beautiful form on the ice), then that's something different. LOL IceAlisa, you must love Vishneva..

Shaia
12-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Oh, and lines are not "subjective". Lines are lines.

-Bridget

I disagree. "Lines" are visual image and impression. Whether one finds it beautiful or not is entirely subjective. Anyway, I mean ballet not ballad... :wall: sorry for the typo.

riveredge
12-01-2010, 05:10 AM
Uh..oh..:lol: March is too far away. We don't know what choreography or David's vision will be like or how Yuna will do.

Can we just wait and see? :lol:

IceAlisa
12-01-2010, 05:10 AM
Second, just because Yu-Na chose to skate to a ballet music piece, does that mean she has to present it in a ballet-style? I would argue...cautiously...no. It is not necessary. Just my opinion.

No, of course it's not necessary. She could very well win just skating the way she always did to something that happens to be ballet music, especially considering the shape her competition is in right now. But when one hears Giselle and is familiar with ballet, certain images come to mind and certain things are anticipated.

Just like if you are skating to Michael Jackson's music, it would be anticipated that you would do some Michael Jackson-inspired moves. Otherwise, why bother to skate to that particular music. Same with Giselle. Or Swan Lake--they have very strong identities and associations.

LOL IceAlisa, you must love Vishneva.. I think she is the cat's meow. :)

burntBREAD
12-01-2010, 05:12 AM
Uh..oh..:lol: March is too far away. We don't know what choreography or David's vision will be like or how Yuna will do.

Can we just wait and see? :lol:

Yes

Well...considering the state of the ladies right now, no.. :slinkaway

Figga
12-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Not everyone who points out her shortcomings cares for her or wishes for an improvement. Duh statement but apparently needed to be said.

Hey Yunabots, don't get your knickers in a twist just cause someone doesn't like your Queen :)

riveredge
12-01-2010, 05:14 AM
I can't believe we are even discussing whether ballet is important to skating! It's been irrefuteable all my fandom days. That's why Elvis raised such a stink about it in the '90s. I well remember him bemoaning that ballet shouldn't be the only movement that could be represented on the ice, thus his karate themed programs (I disagreed with him).

Shaia, it's true that I am no fan of Yuna, but I am a fan of skating and if I see a skater with poor lines (absolutely essential to the aesthtic of skating) I have every reason to post, especially at a "figure skating discussion board". You want a fansite, imo, not a general FS board. Oh, and lines are not "subjective". Lines are lines.

-Bridget

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Yuna doesn't have the lines/extensions like others. We get your point. :lol:

I'm just hoping that it will not ruin her jumps, like what she said she's trying to improve her artistic side of her skating.