PDA

View Full Version : James Franco and Anne Hathaway to Host Oscars

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

soxxy
11-29-2010, 09:01 PM
http://entertainment.latimes.com/awards/2010/11/oscar-hosts-named-.html

Supposedly in an effort to draw "younger viewers."

Whatever. :rolleyes: (Actually, her short stint with Hugh Jackman a couple of years ago was pretty good.)

February 27, 2011.

IceAlisa
11-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Who is James Franco?

orbitz
11-29-2010, 09:11 PM
JF is in the current film 172 hours. He was also in 'Harvey Milk', 'Pinnapple Express', 'The Company', Spiderman 1-3. He seems like a very smart guy also; Completed a Master relatively recently from Columbia and is currently working on another Master, I think.

soxxy
11-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Who is James Franco?

:lol:

Actually, he's done quite a few movies and has a big one opening shortly. (ETA: It's opened, as orbitz points out.)

Here's his CV:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0290556/

IceAlisa
11-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the info. The only one I've seen on the list is "Milk"--great movie and I think I remember this guy.

Jenny
11-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Interesting - agree Anne Hathaway is a good choice considering her star turn with Hugh Jackman, which was well received. And James Franco, after tons of movies, seems to be the new It boy - he's everywhere! In addition to movies, he's also written a book of short stories, and has done some notable modeling spreads as well. And he's cute :)

dbell1
11-29-2010, 09:37 PM
I still think of Franco from Spiderman, rather than his recent work. :lol:

my little pony
11-29-2010, 09:39 PM
are they on a budget?

Jenny
11-29-2010, 09:40 PM
I still think of Franco from Spiderman, rather than his recent work. :lol:

My fave is the stoner from Freaks and Geeks. :)

El Rey
11-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Don't know much about Franco, which I guess can be a good thing in young Hollywood, but his academics are impressive.

cailuj365
11-29-2010, 10:15 PM
James Franco is studying here at Yale!!! I haven't seen him yet on campus, but there have been reports. :D I forget if he's just a student or if he's also teaching a class. I think it's the former. I know he's given a Master's Tea (events with interesting/important people who are invited to come talk to the students; usually they're pretty small but Franco's was held in a big lecture hall due to popularity). He's also screened some of the movies that he acted in and/or directed. My roommate got an autograph and a picture with him then.

Meanwhile, cailuj365 was sitting in her room doing homework. :(

I like him as an actor a lot. I developed a crush when he was in Spiderman (I was in middle school), so I sought out his other movies. He played James Dean in his biopic, and I thought he did a great job. He's also the spitting image of Dean too. He picks interesting projects, and I like the fact that he does a balance of mainstream and indie films. With his looks, he could have easily just made mainstream rom-coms, but he doesn't. The same could be said as well about Anne Hathaway, who I think also has a very elegant fashion style.

So, if the Oscars are trying to attract my age group by putting these two as hosts, it worked for me. :P

Beefcake
11-29-2010, 10:19 PM
JF is da bomb! Movie star (:cheer: Pineapple Express!) at the top of his career who isn't afraid of -- nor "above" -- doing really "out there" roles and TV guest work (even GASP daytime soap opera guesting) for the experience.

In the past 11 months the man 2) played "himself" on 30 Rock, but in true Frano and 30 Rock form, "Franco" was "dating" Jenna as a beard for his true love affair ... with a Japanese pillow doll. :P I won't give away the twist at the end. And 2) had two multiple weeks-long stints on General Hospital. Total scene chewing stuff, character couldn't be more eville or cartoony unless he had a pointy turned-up mustache ... and THAT was the point. Franco had a hoot doing it, and it showed.

Also, with 127 Hours, Franco will pretty surely have an Oscar nomination in his pocket when he hosts.

cailuj365
11-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I forgot he randomly did General Hospital last year. :lol:

And really, anyone who can go from this (http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/14600000/James-Franco-Esquire-September-2010-james-franco-14668163-875-1222.jpg) to this (http://twitpic.com/2v7nq5) has my respect. (The headline on the first one is great.)

BigB08822
11-29-2010, 10:27 PM
The only thing that I find curious about this is that Franco is being considered a front runner for a nomination for his film 172 hours. That seems like a bad idea to have someone hosting who is even nominated as I think he will be.

snoopy
11-29-2010, 10:31 PM
What is it about Hathaway that will "draw younger viewers"? Those Disney movies? She doesn't seem like a particularly hip actress.