PDA

View Full Version : Husband Just Bought Me An iPad -

Pages : [1] 2 3

pilgrimsoul
11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Any iPad owners out there who can tell me how to maximize its coolness? Purchasing an Apple product was a HUGE concession from my IT snob hubby (he's a major computer nerd who thinks MS is the be all-end all & that Apples are only for dumb people with no computer skills) - wait - :wideeyes: HEY!!!!! :angryfire :rollin:

The only thing is, he's still resisting on some fronts (stubborn cuss that he is). For instance, he is NOT on board with getting iPhones, using Apple's e-mail & syncing it all through iTunes. We currently have Palm Pres & use gmail (he finally gave up on waiting for HP to come out with a Slate using WebOS, which is why he relented at last & bought the iPad). So, given these limitations, how can I best utilize this shiny new toy to its full potential?

BigB08822
11-29-2010, 06:33 PM
I am surprised he is so anti-Apple. I find his argument a little funny, that Apple is for people with no computer skills. I find Apple to be much more user friendly. Just because something is less confusing does that mean it is only for idiots? Hmmm...

Enjoy your iPad! My bf uses his all the time. I wish I had some tips for you but I don't really use it, I stick to my laptop (yes, an Apple).

DickButtonFan
11-29-2010, 06:39 PM
I'd recommend some iPad skins from amazon or eBay to decorate it. Fun apps Drum meister, louvre, art lite, Elle, and netflix. Have fun :)

Mayra
11-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Congrats! :cheer2:

I have both a Mobile Me email account and a Gmail account and use both in my iPad. I get all my email in one inbox with no problems, so that shouldn't be a problem for you. If you don't want to synch it when you connect to Itunes, just click on your ipad device in iTunes and under info, un-click your email.

If Hubby's issue is with iTunes in general, then he just might have to give a little on that one. Unfortunately/fortunately, Apple has tied their apps, movies, tv shows and downloading of music to their App Store and Itunes. You'll have to jailbreak your ipad for outside sources.

If you haven't already you should update to the latest software. :)

A few favorite downloads of mine...

Pandora, Angry Birds, Scrabble, Yelp, Pages, Ebay, Ibooks etc...

Hope you enjoy it! :)

smurfy
11-29-2010, 08:40 PM
You can download 'Nook' from Barnes & Noble for free. iTunes book selection is much smaller, Nook has tons of books.
I also bought 'Photo Sort' App. I downloaded all my photos on a trip recently and then labelled them (by putting into different folders). So much easier/lighter weight than travelling with laptop.

pilgrimsoul
11-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Sweet - thanks for the tips, everyone!

pilgrimsoul
11-29-2010, 11:35 PM
I am surprised he is so anti-Apple. I find his argument a little funny, that Apple is for people with no computer skills. I find Apple to be much more user friendly. Just because something is less confusing does that mean it is only for idiots? Hmmm...

I agree completely! Some tech savvy people seem to have an ego-driven attitude that things shouldn't be too easy, like they need to feel smarter than everyone else & feel that computers are being dumbed down. I've encountered a lot of gamers with this mindset as well who whine about video games not being as hard as they used to be. Well, duh, game developers are in the business to sell games to as wide an audience as possible - if nightmare mode is too easy for you, dude, maybe you're playing too much!

cruisin
11-30-2010, 01:00 AM
I agree completely! Some tech savvy people seem to have an ego-driven attitude that things shouldn't be too easy, like they need to feel smarter than everyone else & feel that computers are being dumbed down. I've encountered a lot of gamers with this mindset as well who whine about video games not being as hard as they used to be. Well, duh, game developers are in the business to sell games to as wide an audience as possible - if nightmare mode is too easy for you, dude, maybe you're playing too much!

To be fair, Apple/Mac users can be just as snobby :lol:. I'm a Mac user :D

Angelskates
11-30-2010, 01:10 AM
make sure you download the newly released OS - multitasking :cheer2: and folders :cheer2: I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad and Mobile Me (but I run Windows for Mac on my MacBook) and I *love* Mobile Me.

sk8pics
11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Angelskates, I see you have a similar collection of Mac stuff to me. I have the MacBook Pro, the iPhone, don't have MobileMe and am thinking about an iPad. What do you see as the advantage to having both an iPad and a MacBook Pro? Is it the portability? The e-reader capability? Something else?

I am really thinking about it. If I get one, it will be after Christmas.

MarieM
11-30-2010, 11:17 AM

Enjoy your iPad! My bf uses his all the time. I wish I had some tips for you but I don't really use it, I stick to my laptop (yes, an Apple).

Because if you do love computer, and the fact it's not all blocked from outsiders to develop applications, Apple SUCKS.

Apple IMO is for the ones who don't love messing with what's in their computers and so on. Meaning no true geek could like it for long, unless they use some things to unlock the Apple OS (jailbreak it). Which isn't always nice since you have to do it every bloody time you have an update from apple.

And he should have waited, the SAMSUNG Galaxy tabs rocks :)

Ziggy
11-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Wouldn't you prefer an actual absorbent product instead of a computer? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIz-KCxKz0c&

CynicElle
11-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Angelskates, I see you have a similar collection of Mac stuff to me. I have the MacBook Pro, the iPhone, don't have MobileMe and am thinking about an iPad. What do you see as the advantage to having both an iPad and a MacBook Pro?

I'd love to hear about this as well. My husband was thinking about getting me an iPad for Christmas, but I already have a MacBook Pro and am wondering if the iPad would be worth it on top of that. Any and all justifications welcome! :D

cruisin
11-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Because if you do love computer, and the fact it's not all blocked from outsiders to develop applications, Apple SUCKS.

Apple IMO is for the ones who don't love messing with what's in their computers and so on. Meaning no true geek could like it for long, unless they use some things to unlock the Apple OS (jailbreak it). Which isn't always nice since you have to do it every bloody time you have an update from apple.

And some people don't want to mess with their computers, they just want to use them. Macs are great machines, they get the job done. It depends on what you want a computer for, not everyone wants to be a true geek.

I'd love to hear about this as well. My husband was thinking about getting me an iPad for Christmas, but I already have a MacBook Pro and am wondering if the iPad would be worth it on top of that. Any and all justifications welcome! :D

The only things I can think of are that the iPad is an e-reader and that some models have 3G. Can you download books to your MacBook? I don't know I don't have a laptop and I've never tried to download books to my desktop, it would be too inconvenient. For someone like me the iPad would be great, I don't have a laptop. I'm probably never going to use a laptop for graphics, I like a big screen. I am waiting to get an iPad, I want to see where it goes with it's next version, let them work the kinks out.

Prancer
11-30-2010, 03:14 PM
I am waiting to get an iPad, I want to see where it goes with it's next version, let them work the kinks out.

Rumor has it that the new iPad will have a USB port, among other things. If so, I will find that pretty tempting.