PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no Senior B competitions in North America?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Ziggy
12-15-2010, 01:39 AM
I appreciate what you're saying Ziggy, but such a system in North America, where skaters are being funded to attend international events, has come under criticism in the past with Canadian international assignments being hotly contested. It was suggested that skaters who paid their own way were "buying a spot" on the team that should have gone to more deserving skaters whose parents couldn't or wouldn't pay their way.

The bitching that goes on around who got sent where and why is just :rolleyes: at times.

I understand your point but I do think it could work as long as the system would be totally transparent.

So a federation would say at the start of the season that our budget allows us to send X skaters/teams to international events. Skaters would be named, based on past/current results (if I remember correctly, USFS and SC name skaters to international events at the start of the season anyway).

After that choice was made, all the other spots would be made open to anybody who requests them.

Priority would go to skaters ranked higher nationally (some kind of system of working last Nationals results vs. results in summer comps I guess).

I don't really understand why USFS and SC don't do that. It wouldn't cost them anything and some skaters would get more experience and possibly world ranking points.

I understand that there would be a lot of bitching and some bad sentiment from those who can't afford it, but isn't it better than having the spots go to waste anyhow?

European B-Internationals are almost always at the individual skaters' expense! I only know of a handful of skaters who have their expenses paid by their federation, it is far from the norm!

Thanks for this info. I naively assumed that most skaters would have their expenses paid. :/

Dragonlady
12-15-2010, 03:15 PM
I understand that there would be a lot of bitching and some bad sentiment from those who can't afford it, but isn't it better than having the spots go to waste anyhow?

You make a good point. There's already bitching and bad sentiment around the selection of some skaters who seem to get assignments based on where they train or who coaches them rather than how well they're skating.

It just seems somehow unfair that if we're giving out assignments, the less affluent kids get screwed over, yet again.

Sylvia
02-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I just came across this positive hearsay info posted over at Golden Skate about potential Senior B competitions to be held in the US in the (near?) future: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?33762-US-to-Apply-for-Senior-B-Internationals&p=548618&viewfull=1#post548618

barbk
02-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, yeah! Like to see one on the left coast too.

Jasmar
02-03-2011, 02:10 AM
The minimum qualifying score is insane. If a team beats a team who has met the qualification at their nationals, that new team (or skater) should be able to go.

Especially since COP or no, scoring is wildly inconsistent between competitions (and even events).

danafan
02-03-2011, 02:22 AM
I just came across this positive hearsay info posted over at Golden Skate about potential Senior B competitions to be held in the US in the (near?) future: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?33762-US-to-Apply-for-Senior-B-Internationals&p=548618&viewfull=1#post548618

I hope this comes to pass - it would be a great way for skaters to meet the minimum TES required for ISU championships who otherwise might not get international assignments.