PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no Senior B competitions in North America?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

DORISPULASKI
11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Yes, I would think they could afford it myself.

And it isn't like clubs don't hold competitions.

Both LPIDC and Liberty are huge, especially Liberty.

If the Czech Fed can hold an ISU sanctioned Senior B, I don't see why the Canadian or the American Fed can't.

And, in fact, I think there should be 2 in each region (one in summer and one after regionals/sectionals).

At the very, very least, I'd like to see a dance comp in Detroit and one in PA/Del area. Maybe one at Broadmoor.

In Canada, one in Quebec, one in Ontario and one in BC.

Zemgirl
11-30-2010, 02:44 PM
When Pechalat and Bourzat got an unpleasant surprise at Nebelhorn, they were able to pick up 2 other Senior B's prior to debuting at Cup of China, and thus had their levels up to the best they could. Indeed, everyone is praising their devotion to their preparation. No North American team could have done something like that-3 trips to Europe would be very unfeasible.
IIRC, their only other senior B was Finlandia, which had been on their agenda all along, so it wasn't a reaction to Nebelhorn. French Masters is a national event and required for all French skaters, mostly for getting input from the Federation.

P/B are based in Moscow now, so it's not exactly a short hop to some European events. They, and Zhulin, were simply smart about the preparation and realized that with the changes this season, more feedback would do them good, and planned accordingly. North American skaters may find it difficult to do two senior Bs in Europe, but they have summer competitions and can certainly make the trip for one event, as D/W did last year.

In hindsight I think D/W would have been better served by doing less shows and spending more time on preparing for the season, but at least they were assigned to the first GP and got their feedback early.

That having been said, I think senior Bs in NA and Asia would be a good idea.

DORISPULASKI
11-30-2010, 04:41 PM
The article I read about them said 3 competitions...but perhaps the 3rd was French Masters, in which case, it wasn't a Senior B.

alilou
11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
And I certainly hope that Skate Canada just doesn't have enough money to send skaters to more events.

Although it seems really weird. Out of all the federations out there, you'd imagine they'd be able to afford it...

Don't know why you think SC would be so rich. They are the only NGB to actually buy the TV rights from the ISU so we can get to see some skating on TV in Cda. CTV didn't want anything to do with it and CBC can't afford it (being 70 million in debt). I'm guessing that SC buys air time from CBC and then rounds up the advertising themselves. Debbie Wilkes has done an incredible job of getting, and maintaining, sponsorship from various companies, and then there's income from membership of course, but I seriously doubt SC is rolling in money at all.

DORISPULASKI
11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes, and USFSA got involved with its rather ill starred venture with MLB and icenetwork.

Nonetheless, I strongly suspect they have more money than the Czechs.

And how much money would be involved.

Let's take a competition like Indy Pairs-it's already true that both Canadian and American pairs compete there, plus a number of international pairs that train in the US. It's in a nice central location for the continent.

How much would it cost to make this an ISU Senior B vs. just a club competition?

And who would have to pony up?

Dragonlady
11-30-2010, 07:04 PM
I don't understand at all why none of them hold at least one competition, other than the summer ones.

European skaters definitely wouldn't come because the costs are so high.

But Northern American skaters probably would, the European skaters who train in North America probably would (way cheaper for them than flying back to Europe) and correct me if I'm wrong but for some Asian countries NA is closer than Europe, no?

I would much rather restore the North American Challenges for Novice and Junior skaters than I would see the money spent on Senior B events. I think that the Canadian development program in particular has suffered from the loss of these events, especially with the Ladies.

It was said that the NAC's were axed because of money issues. I'd even contribute to bringing them back. One only has to look at the list of past winners to see their value.

Capella
11-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Skate Canada didn't even use all its spots at JGP events! What a waste! Sounds like Slipchuk et al are more interested in "stars" than those off the potential-Olympic-medalists short list.

I would love to see LPIDC become a Senior B event. Obviously skaters from the U.S. and Canada have competed over the years, and sometimes non-NA teams do, too, if they train in NA (or are North American and compete for another country).

I've never been to Oberstdorf. Is it easier to get there than to Lake Placid? When Skate America was there last year, Team Yu-Na drove from Canada. And the location certainly didn't seem to hurt the number of Korean fans and media who made the trip. If the Bs are located in smaller, Alpine-y areas, chances are you are not going to be able to just take a shuttle from the airport and be at the arena in 5 minutes.

Dragonlady
11-30-2010, 09:50 PM
The Korean fans came by bus from New York, and left right after the women finished. Lake Placid is not easy to get to.

rhumba
11-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Skate Canada didn't even use all its spots at JGP events! What a waste! Sounds like Slipchuk et al are more interested in "stars" than those off the potential-Olympic-medalists short list.

I would love to see LPIDC become a Senior B event. Obviously skaters from the U.S. and Canada have competed over the years, and sometimes non-NA teams do, too, if they train in NA (or are North American and compete for another country).

I've never been to Oberstdorf. Is it easier to get there than to Lake Placid? When Skate America was there last year, Team Yu-Na drove from Canada. And the location certainly didn't seem to hurt the number of Korean fans and media who made the trip. If the Bs are located in smaller, Alpine-y areas, chances are you are not going to be able to just take a shuttle from the airport and be at the arena in 5 minutes.

Most European countries are accessible by trains. Going to LP is quite difficult if you do not have a car.

Jayar
11-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Most European countries are accessible by trains. Going to LP is quite difficult if you do not have a car.

You could always just borrow one while you are in town. :lol:

yfbg722
12-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Let's take a competition like Indy Pairs-it's already true that both Canadian and American pairs compete there, plus a number of international pairs that train in the US. It's in a nice central location for the continent.

How much would it cost to make this an ISU Senior B vs. just a club competition?

And who would have to pony up?

The teams competing there now pay their own costs (entry fees and travel expenses). If it was a Senior B, then Skate Canada would have to pick up that tab for the teams they selected to enter so there would be a financial outlay. Right now, they have the best of both worlds. Canadian teams go at their own expense, and Skate Canada sends officials down to monitor them without having to pick up the full tab.

DORISPULASKI
12-01-2010, 12:07 AM
You could always just borrow one while you are in town. :lol:

That did not exactly work out beautifully for Lutai AFAIR :lol:

DORISPULASKI
12-01-2010, 12:10 AM
The teams competing there now pay their own costs (entry fees and travel expenses). If it was a Senior B, then Skate Canada would have to pick up that tab for the teams they selected to enter so there would be a financial outlay. Right now, they have the best of both worlds. Canadian teams go at their own expense, and Skate Canada sends officials down to monitor them without having to pick up the full tab.

Certainly that might be the way it would have to be done now, but is there any reason that it can't change. The ISU does not require Skate Canada to pay for their teams to go to a Senior B, does it? Skate Canada (and USFSA) could change their own rules, I would think?

Ziggy
12-01-2010, 02:40 AM

Not true. Skaters pay their own expenses (or their federations do).

The only thing the organiser pays for is the officials' expenses.

Dragonlady
12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Not true. Skaters pay their own expenses (or their federations do).

The only thing the organiser pays for is the officials' expenses.

You're missing the point Ziggy. Right now, Canadian teams travel to Indy on their own money. If this became "B" event, the federations would be on the hook for paying for the skaters.