PDA

View Full Version : Post-GP Series Thoughts, Comments, Complaints, Concerns...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Artifice
12-01-2010, 09:19 AM
I have a concern about Chan winning too easily with so many falls. Don't know who and/or what to blame, the COP, the TES not counting enough... ? It's just that I hope not to see that too often. It will kill the audience interest for the sport if we see freestyle skaters doing ice dance more often.

The balance is hard to find between technical skills and skating skills, but Chan really pushed it to the limit.

clarie
12-01-2010, 12:08 PM
I have a concern about Chan winning too easily with so many falls. Don't know who and/or what to blame, the COP, the TES not counting enough... ? It's just that I hope not to see that too often. It will kill the audience interest for the sport if we see freestyle skaters doing ice dance more often.

The balance is hard to find between technical skills and skating skills, but Chan really pushed it to the limit.

Just as he pushes his programs to the limit..........he goes all out right to the end, no hesitation, great speed, no rests to speak of, great footwork and wonderful edgework. There's nothing being held back, no tentativeness, even with the falls. He's working his a$$ off, and I think it will pay off come Nats and Worlds, not neccesarily the GPF.

~tapdancer~
12-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I really like the Short dance but it's been interesting to see how the techs are calling the levels. I think they've been having a bit of trouble! Hopefully the GP series has helped them to work out the kinks.

For the most part the single rhythm short dances have been more effective but some of the mixed ones have worked...the waltz and the quickstep wasn't bad. I think the worst was the wangos! They should have left the tango out of the mix. How they ever thought that would work with the Golden Waltz, I don't know.

Extranjera
12-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I love the fact we have so many fresh faces. Ilinykh/Katsalapov are amazing, I like also senior debut of Sofia Biryukova and Kanako, but I wish Kanako's SP was less childish.

I'm impressed with the men this season!! They are absolutely gorgeous. I'm only affraid there is no place for Joubert anymore... :(

And I have no words for Chan's score in Canada..

mia joy
12-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, this GP has been a weirdo :lol: but even though, I'm kind of enjoying it ;)

Maaaany people got medals, who wouldn't have a slight shot for one if everyone was healthy and fit. I think I have never seen so many injuries and withdrawals in the GP series before. That's sad. On the other hand, it gave us a possibility to see some new faces, have some more unexpected results.

Pairs:
At this point, S/S are about to win, which I wouldn't mind at all. P/T will probably win some medals as well, because the judges somehow decided to give them riddiculously high scores, no matter how bad they do, not to mention zero artistic side of their programs and terrible lifts. I just wish they would retire already and bring me some salvation :P However, once K/S are fit and ready to go and once the new Russian pairs are finally eligible to compete international, the pairs field might get as interesting as never. Yes, I know V/T and M/B are just at the beginning of their roads to glory, but really, you never know how great they will be by the time of Worlds. Sui/Han are cute and entertaining, but really, do you think they both are gonna stay so tiny? it's kind of disturbing... :P

Men:
I think the ever falling Chan and his scores have been the men's main topic this far, I really hope we'll live to a day he's properly penalized for those. His SS may be great, his edges deep, but even aside from his falls, the guy is just boring. I'm really glad to see Verner slowly finding his way back, I'm sure the quad is just a matter of time in his case. Wouldn't mind to see him on all GPF, Euros and Worlds podiums. I guess he's the only man skater with a shot for medals who I really care about.
Joubert seems totally out for now. Is this how his career is gonna end? I really wouldn't like to see this. I would love him to work a new LP and get his jumps back so we can have a proper French-Czech medal fight at Europeans. But I'm really afraid this might be the first season in years with him off the world podium (cannot even imagine European podium without him).

Dance:
I think the field with the most of the top contenders out. V/M, F/S, K/K, S/B and some others. Meryl and Charlie should have no problems winning the final (I really don't see how P/B suddenly got equal to them in technique or skating skills. It's still another level of skating, even if they're struggling a bit). The fight I see interesting will be between P/B, C/P and B/S. I'm loving the Shibs so far, we'll see how they develop in the senior field. I/K, who everyone was so crazy about, were a huge disappointment for me. Nothing special, really. P/B finally decided to ditch the circus and Mr Clock ideas, but their dances don't blow me away anyway. D/W have a wonderful SD and they really seem to have grown up (something many people take as losing their power) and I'm starting to enjoy their new selves. They still have so much to show us in the future! I love the Kerrs' dances, as always, so cannot wait to see them fit. F/S are a huge disappointment. C/P are still cold and stiff for me. Missing S/B here. If it comes to US vs Canada, you can sign me up for team USA! ;) (however, I liked Ralph/Hill A LOT)

Ladies:
Poor Mao, I hope she'll overcome this and continue to shine. After seing her live for the first time, I must say her SS are :swoon: she makes it all look so easy (well, not the jumps, but everything else). I'm all for Alissa, she's a cutie. Loving her and Mirai's spins. Kiira, on the other hand, skates like a block of wood, very much like her teammate Laura.
there's going to be a dramatic fight for worlds spots in Japan. I would like both Mao and Miki make it, perhaps with Murakami instead of Suzuki.

query5
12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
overlooked mistakes on most skaters. the rigging of the events.
but most unsatisfied that adam/jeremy didn't
make into final-yes they are alternates, but they could have got in. if the fought.

bright spots. ashleys lp in cor--good for her--keeps it up and gets more flow will be better skater-factor at nationals
rachel--good skates in season -nice for her in final-will be factor at nationals-
mirai--good teb-will be factor at nationals-should
alissa-nice for her to make it in.
overall-pleased at most outcomes in gp events.
nice season for most skaters.
mao-feel bad.
miki--good skate-given cor in my opinion-but good skate nonetheless.

dance-decent skates from all,
pairs, good skates from most.

Artifice
12-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Alissa Czisny doing good : for once a skater who has the full package manages to reach the top (after Yu Na and Mao as the most recent exemples).

olympic
12-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Men - JPN men dominate!
Joubert - a bridge too far. I think the clock is ticking and he should retire. He's had a good run but he hasn't shown much this year.
Verner - leaves out the Quad and changes his training, thus gets some consistency back. I also think he caught a break that Brezina is out injured, so he might have the momentum to medal by Worlds.
Chan - If he even gets a little more consistent, he and the JPN men will be fighting for the Worlds podium most likely. I also am uncomfortable with multiple falls getting those scores this year.
Abbott, Rippon, Mroz - Paled in comparison to previous GP seasons for US men, so I hope they can start pulling it together by Worlds.

Women -
Ando - jump clinic dominates. But, still battling injuries. I somehow don't feel going forward she'll win Worlds once everyone else gets their act together
Suzuki - still going strong.
Czisny - it was nice to see her atop the podium at SC with a big score, yet she's reverted to form more recently *sigh*
Asada - is she merely repeating last season where she'll be strong by Worlds? Or is there something more serious going on??
Murakami - OK. Decent debut. Nothing special for me...yet.
Flatt- pretty much where she was at this point last year; most stable of the US ladiezzz but I'm more pleased with her packaging- going for an entertaining, cutesy look, and not a balletic or classical look that she can't pull off.
Nagasu - Also where she was last year at this point. Maybe a little better.
Korpi - OK I guess. Improved but perhaps a little overscored IMO.
Kostner - Performed well considering her injury and she is lovely to watch when she's relaxed. But like Ando, will she do OK by Worlds? Will she revert back to form when attempting more ambitious programs?? Has she been around for too long??

Pairs
S/S- still dominate although not as invincible
Biggest story is the re-emergence of Russian depth -B/L, K/S, I/M. V/T may round it out later this season.
Chinese are hitting a blip with subpar performances by P/T, Z/Z out and S/H doing well and are a bright spot, but not eligible for Worlds [I think]
Americans OK and actually better than last 2 seasons, but probably buried again this season with the re-emergence of certain other Russian and Canadian pairs

Ice Dance
D/W - leaders after the GP series, but P/B awfully close point-wise. I wonder if the judges have some reservations about establishing D/W as the lead contenders with V/M out. C/P were picking up the points but I think some of this was the result of them being the #1 CAN team. I expect Russia with B/S to only get stronger.

HisWeirness
12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Chinese are hitting a blip with subpar performances by P/T, Z/Z out and S/H doing well and are a bright spot, but not eligible for Worlds [I think]
You are correct.

Sui was born July 18, 1995 (http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012227.htm) and she had to be born before July 1, 1995 to be eligible for ISU Senior Championships this season.

S/H can go back to Jr. Worlds this season, but not to 4CCs or Worlds. S/H can also compete in International Senior Competitions (like the Sr. GP ;) and Senior B competitions).

alchemy void
12-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't understand why people are freaking out about the lack of quality on the ladies GP this year. It's like this every year! Last year Granny won a bronze medal at Skate America with a 4 triple freeskate in AN OLYMPIC YEAR! Not every competition is going to be as well skated as the Olympics and Worlds, and that's especially true for the ladies. I've actually found the skating level to be acceptable, especially in a post-Olympic year. The exciting part is that Euros, Worlds, and 4CC are wide open! :cheer2:

Cloudy_Gumdrops
12-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Ice Dance is boring this year. I thought P&B were finally being seen as contenders by the judges, but no. Apparently, D&W have no competition, so meh. Maybe I'll start caring about dance again in the back half of the quad when there should be some actual competition. At least the juniors are competitive. At least the battle between the Russians should be decent though.

I'm enjoying Pairs, esp. the resurgence of the Russians. Russian Nationals is gonna be fierce.

I'm still not sure on Ladies and Men. There are a lot of good men, but the ladies are still a bit boring. Though I'm thrilled that Alissa appears to be slowly getting more consistent.

aliceanne
12-13-2010, 02:12 AM
I was struck by the large number of empty seats in all of the arenas even in Japan with 2 world champions competing. Yet the announcers kept talking about how BIG skating is in China and Japan. Maybe they should book the events in smaller arenas.

I could barely hear the music for the single skaters on Universal Sports. Just me?

Don't know how I feel about Chan winning the men's final.
He stayed on his feet for once, but did he deserve to be there in the first place?

The best event was the men's short at NHK. :encore:

shan
12-13-2010, 02:28 AM
The camera work at the GPF was horrid. Most of it was too far away and I hated the overhead cam. Of course it wasn't as bad as the GP event that zoomed in on the skater's feet several times a program. :scream:

dundas
12-13-2010, 03:09 AM
I was struck by the large number of empty seats in all of the arenas even in Japan with 2 world champions competing. Yet the announcers kept talking about how BIG skating is in China and Japan. Maybe they should book the events in smaller arenas.

:

Nobody is watching FS anymore. The reality is that CoP is killing this sport. The only benefit CoP has brought about is for ardent FSUers to download those stupid protocols after each competition and argue which underrotation call is fair or unfair, obviously for the futile purpose of 'convincing' the detractors of his/her favourite skater.

With Kim gradually fading away, the South Koreans will definitely abandon FS in mass. Japan? It's already quite saturated there. China? Forget about it. U.S., Canada? It's already dead there.

Any hope in Russia?

victoriaheidi
12-13-2010, 03:16 AM
The camera work at the GPF was horrid. Most of it was too far away and I hated the overhead cam. Of course it wasn't as bad as the GP event that zoomed in on the skater's feet several times a program. :scream:

I got a text from a friend who loves skating and doesn't follow it closely: "is this the way they always film skating?"