PDA

View Full Version : Fun Disson Christmas Show on SUNDAY

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Willowway
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
You might not like a lot of Mannheim Steamroller but what else were they supposed to skate to? It was a Mannheim Steamroller concert and believe me, most of the folks in the audience in Rapid City (and I imagine on TV too) were there for them not the skating (although they seemed to appreciate the skating when they saw it). It was sort of a big deal that Brian skated to another piece of music for one of his programs. I enjoy about ten minutes of them at a time but their CD sales (especially for Christmas) are simply phenomenal so they were the 'main event' and there is no getting around that one.

The variety is not 'within' some of the shows if there is a headline musical act. I agree that if you don't like or love the musical act you might be in trouble - if you had only seen me during the Michael Bolton show (I went because Ilia was skating). I was in serious pain, but that was the price to see my favorite skater skate. Ilia (and some of the other skaters) were worth it to me but it wouldn't have been my choice. Hey, it's never perfect.

centerpt1
11-30-2010, 12:40 AM
I actually enjoyed this Disson show.
(I liked Improv on Ice, too)

They're really kind of fun .... and the skaters in the commercials are very entertaining.

Susan1
11-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Is this the show that Manheim Steamroller play the music for the entire show? If so it's not worth watching on TV since Every. Single. Performance. will be chopped up by the camera panning to the musicians :rolleyes: and we will see random bits of skating interspersed with random bits of the musicians.

Oh, goodie - a place to rant! I had to stop watching it. (I did DVR it, so I'll skim through it next weekend to see if I can catch any actual skating.) How many chances do we get to see Katia, Ilia and Yuka Sato skate anymore and have it ruined by watching someone hitting a drum or playing a guitar. If I wanted to WATCH someone play a flutophone, I would go to the local grade school Christmas concert. Geez Louise!!!!! Why do they advertise this as a skating show? Why not advertise it as a concert (ANY of these shows in the last however many years with live performers) where there might be some skating in front of them? Grrrrrr. Even if I were so inclined to go the Manheim Steamroller performance here in January, I would not be expecting to watch people play their instruments close up. It was great to listen to, great music to skate to. Why do we have to watch the musicians when they are there for the skaters?

The one part I managed to sit through without any band interruptions was Brian Boitano skating to Imagine. What's wrong with him? Are his knees bothering him? He kept lifting one leg up stiffly like he had a cramp. Is that his latest idea of choreography. Very disappointing.

alilou
11-30-2010, 01:21 AM
I understand the live musicians are needed to sell tickets, and that skating is not a big enough draw on it's own. So - fabulous idea to have concerts where both musicians and skaters can showcase their work. Fabulous idea. It's the translation to TV that's the problem.

And so I say again - I think it's disrespectful to the skaters to chop their performances up into random bits. I wonder how the musicians would feel if their performance was chopped up into random bits. Music is not primarily a visual performance. As someone earlier in the post said, even if they were at the concert they would not see close ups of guitars, etc.

Meredith
11-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Had this not been Mannheim Steamroller but my favorite recording artist, I would have had to attend the show twice: once to concentrate on the singer, and once to concentrate on the skating.

IMO they did a much better job editing this show for television than I have seen in many past shows, but I agree with you, alilou, it is the translation to TV that is the problem.

PDilemma
11-30-2010, 01:17 PM
The one part I managed to sit through without any band interruptions was Brian Boitano skating to Imagine. What's wrong with him? Are his knees bothering him? He kept lifting one leg up stiffly like he had a cramp. Is that his latest idea of choreography. Very disappointing.

Well, Brian is 47 years old. Who knows what is cramping or hurting? Better question--at the level he is still performing, what isn't cramping or hurting??

I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack!

Willowway
11-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Steve Disson did answer. They have looked at split screen treatment and it doesn't work for them - I'm not surprised as the proportions of the TV image just don't lend themselves to division.

As someone suggested above, if anyone has seen a TV treatment of two images that they think might work they should send an example along to him. TV producers are always looking for a better way to do things and if there is one, I imagine that Steve would give it a long, fair look.

Skittl1321
11-30-2010, 08:51 PM
It is a free country and you don't have to watch.
The "it's a free country" thing goes both ways.

We have a right to complain, just as Disson has a right to ignore us.

I record every show hoping I'll find some enjoyable skating- I really loved the first half of improv ice.

alilou
11-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Steve Disson did answer. They have looked at split screen treatment and it doesn't work for them - I'm not surprised as the proportions of the TV image just don't lend themselves to division.

As someone suggested above, if anyone has seen a TV treatment of two images that they think might work they should send an example along to him. TV producers are always looking for a better way to do things and if there is one, I imagine that Steve would give it a long, fair look.

Oh this is good news Willowway. Last I heard about this from Mr Disson was a poster here (maybe a year or two ago) saying they'd asked about this issue and his reply had been "it's my show and I'll do what I want", so good to hear he/they are aware of the problem and willing to listen.

If you'd be so kind as to pass on to him some suggestions I have I'd appreciate it.

1. I do acknowledge the issue with TV screen proportions and having a split screen but surely it could be used some of the time, for instance when the skater(s) is spinning (and therefore staying in one place for a few seconds) I would think a split screen would be fine and give an opportunity to show the musicians without losing the skater.

2. Keep the focus on the skaters for the whole performance with the musicians in a inset box in the upper left corner (or any corner really, but for some reason that seems the best one). This also wouldn't have to be for the whole performance, but for part of it as a way to keep the skating performance continuous. Often the cut to the musicians is to only one of them, or to hands on a guitar, or to the singers face - we don't need to see that in full screen so a box would be fine to keep the connection with the musical performance.

3. I've also seen quite frequently a fade in/fade out where you actually see both images at the same time. I would even be happy if this happened for the whole performance (at least happier than what we get at the moment) because I just keep my eyes focused on the skater regardless of what else is on the screen. Those that wish to could focus on the musicians. But I'm not really recommending this for the whole performance, just as another idea of what could be done for part of the performance so the continuity of the skaters performance is not lost.

centerpt1
11-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Me, too. I so enjoy skaters skating to current music. (Even if they would never have picked that particular piece for themselves)

I wish more skaters did exhibitions to current music.

Susan1
12-01-2010, 12:30 AM

How about "picture in a picture"? They could keep the skating on the main screen and put a little picture of someone playing whatever down in the corner! Everyone has big flat screen t.v.s now, so the little picture wouldn't be quite so little. And I wouldn't get whiplash from trying to watch Yuka Sato just stroking across the ice and have it flip over to a guy playing the keyboard and smiling at the camera. Geez.

roxynova
12-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Yes, it is a free country and you have the right to complain - but it seems as everyone has had the same complaint for years now and it has been brought to the producer's attention before...so to me it would be nice to have people chat more about the skaters (that they can see...haha) than the fact that they can't enjoy the show.

Many of these shows have a short turn-around to air on tv, so complicated fades and picture-in-picture edits may be tricky - but can't hurt to ask to (hopefully) put this issue to bed!

Wondering if anyone is watching the Rock Center Xmas show? I am listening to the performances as well as watching the musicians/singers...as are many other millions. I enjoy seeing them as well as hearing them sometimes (and I'm sure they like to be on tv too...) - and look, half of these people have been in Disson shows...Josh Groban, Charice, Boyz II Men...

disneygal 2001
12-01-2010, 02:47 AM

Brian has been struggling with a serious knee injury for over a year now. There was an article about that in this month's Blades On Ice. It is something to do with his knee cap on his landing leg. Every time he bends his knee it hurts. According to the article, it can not be corrected with surgery. He basically has had to learn to deal with the pain. He had to cancel one show last year, and skated in two other Disson Shows, but didn't jump at all.This was the first time he did triples in a performance in quite some time, so it was a big accomplishment in his rehab. And, as was already said, he is 47 years old, and it has been almost 23 years since his Olympic win in Calgary. I also will cut him some slack....

CzakoFan
12-01-2010, 07:22 AM
The production quality of the holiday show was very poor, as many have pointed out. For the Disson team to switch away from the skaters to various instrumental musicians was inexcusable. The Foreigner Improv show looked much better. At least you had a singer and a band rocking out in that one.

I'm against a split-screen solution, unless it's done in a very artful way. The best I've ever seen was during a movie starring Kim Novak called The Legend of Lylah Clare. There was a flashback scene at one point where almost all the screen was taken up by the flashback. However, Kim's face was shown in a very tiny cloud in one corner of the screen. It seems to me this would work for the Disson shows if all the cameramen in the building knew what corner of the screen might be blocked out by an inserted picture.

nursebetty
12-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Hopefully the band understands that only their music is needed for the televised part. I would rather see the skaters, but .........don't have a solution. I just got around to watching it and really wished I had been able to see it live. And really, really want a Pandora bracelet. I tried one on about a month ago and had a hard time with the clasp. Does anyone have one and do you really get use to it?