PDA

View Full Version : Which year was Fumie Suguri's best chance of winning Worlds

Pages : [1] 2 3

judgejudy27
11-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Looking back over the career of Fumie Suguri which year was her best chance to win Worlds. Or did she ever have a year she really had a hope of doing so.

judgejudy27
11-27-2010, 02:47 AM
I voted for 2004 since she had the momentum of winning the GP final and since her understudy at that point- Arakawa, end up winning. I think if Fumie didnt bomb the Q round she would have done very well that year.

Vash01
11-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Definitely 2006 because two of the Olympic medallists (Shizuka, Irina) were absent. It was a foregone conclusion that Sasha would win the world championship, with Fumie placing second or third. When Sasha bombed, Fumie's chances of winning went up significantly. I attended worlds 2006 in Calgary, and it seemed like Fumie could have won if she had not made one mistake on a jump. Elena Sokolova had a poor SP and Yukari had her usual problem of leg wrap (though I loved her skating). Kimmie skated lights out but she did not have much artistry/maturity. I don't remember the final score, so it's hard to say for sure if Fumie would have won if she had not made that mistake. However, it was her best chance, for lack of competition.

judgejudy27
11-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Fumie ended up 10 points back of Kimmie. She would have had to not make any of her 3 mistakes- doubled triple salchow, not stumble out of her a combination jump, and two footed combo in the short program, to have won the gold probably. Kimmie may not have had much artistry at that point but that didnt stop the judges from giving her huge PCS in the LP, probably due to the electricity of her performance.

Fozzie Bear
11-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Competition-wise, 2006 was her best bet. She won Nationals that year, and had strong performances at the Olympics. I think the judges considered Sasha and Fumie a level above the rest, certainly as far as reputation. And had the judges paid more attention to underrotations, she may have beaten Kimmie afterall.

In 2004, she had lost Nationals to Miki Ando and Shizuka was already getting a lot of buzz after moving to Tarasova. Plus Kwan, Cohen, and Kostner. (Performance-wise though, her SP and LP here were among her best. It's a shame she was buried in the QR, because her performances were good enough for at least 3rd in the SP and 2nd in the LP.)

alchemy void
11-28-2010, 01:03 AM
2010 baby! Rock the turban! :cheer:

judgejudy27
11-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Wow a vote for 2003 and a vote for 2005. I wasnt expecting those years to get any votes. It seems 2006 is the runaway choice. I am actually not sure if there is any year she could have won even if she skated her best even though I chose to vote for 2004. 2003 and 2005 beating Kwan at her best with momentum in the U.S or Irina at her best with momentum in Russia, those are the last 2 I could imagine her having a hope of winning to be honest.

Come to think of it though there is one thing I never considered. She never beat Michelle Kwan once in her career out of probably a huge # of meetings. Add to that even Michelle herself only won 1 time out of 2002-2005, and was only 3rd and 4th in 04 and 05. So I guess in that sense 2006 would be her best shot since according to her career stats beating Michelle is impossible for her, so winning a year Michelle was entered would be impossible, let alone years Michelle didnt even win or wasnt close to winning.

Vash01
11-28-2010, 02:46 AM
For Fumie to win a world title, her competition had to have a melt down and she needed to skate nearly clean. I think she may have come closest in 2006 to winning because in 2004 both Sasha and Michelle were competing (neither won anyway, but dark horse Shizuka did)

pinky166
11-28-2010, 03:00 AM

:lol:

PeterG
11-29-2010, 01:53 AM
None of the above. I vote for "Other". 2011!!! :respec: :40beers: :cheer2:

I admire someone who does what they love in spite of the flack others might dish out. Life is for doing what you love. She is a shining role model. :)

Ozzisk8tr
11-29-2010, 02:48 AM
1962?

Jenna
11-29-2010, 03:00 AM

:lol: What a sad day it would be for the sport if this were to happen.

Marco
11-29-2010, 03:37 AM
2006 just because I wanted her to win and MOVE ON.

At that time Suguri, Cohen, Kostner, Sokolova and Rochette were probably the only medal contenders. No World Champions attended these Worlds and the first four were the only previous medallists. All of them had had at least one strong free skates that season. Cohen did great at Nationals and of course medalled in Turin, Kostner and Sokolova was great at Euros, and Rochette and Suguri came off a great Olympics.

At that time I thought Cohen, being the reigning silver medalist and top seed, and Suguri, being the most reliable of the 5, were the only title contenders. Cohen's weak qualifying actually gave me hope that Suguri had a chance.

If a stricter caller was at the event Suguri probably would have won as was. And might I say, she deserved to too.

How great would it have been if she had won, so she could turn pro along with Arakawa, instead of struggling to make the team 5 seasons later and hoping to salvage a win somewhere for closure.

ks777
11-29-2010, 05:54 AM
I read somewhere that Suguri might be retiring after this season.

Ozzisk8tr
11-29-2010, 06:11 AM
I read somewhere that Suguri might be retiring after this season.

by her choice?