PDA

View Full Version : Vaitsehovskaya's interview with Morozov

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

IceAlisa
11-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I agree, but I don't think that either of Amodio's current programs fall into that category.

Haven't seen it but will look for it now. This thread reminded me of "Winter" so I watched it (again for the 1,000,000th time) and just that program alone carves out a place in skating history for the choreographer. And of course, the fact that Yags was the perfect storm of athleticism, power and artistry helped.

ETA: saw Florent's LP (the MJ one, right?). Well, the first part is the rehash of what has been already done with Takahashi. The second part was not choreographed by Morozov but by Michael Jackson. Morozov just transcribed it to the ice.

equatorial
11-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks! Tha Ivanov/Polivanov system made me think of the English Wade-Giles vs. pinyin systems.

The I/P system is not entirely consistent: the Russian counterpart to "Fujisawa" would be "Fudzisava" instead of "Hudzisava" as is expected were a system based entirely on phonology.

Cherub721
11-26-2010, 08:41 PM
One can't only focus on jumps or foot work. And we've seen those opposites many times before. Take Takahashi: it happened he received 8.5 in components even though he fell 7 times during the skate.

Um, what?

NM: It's the only place you get to see a skater who can land a wonderful triple Axel, yet has no idea how to jump a triple Toeloop. It's almost as knowing how to use a fork, yet not to have a clue what the spoons is for.

Ok, that was kind of hilarious. :rofl: {{{Mao}}}

bek
11-26-2010, 08:48 PM
So it's not just fans who think this. :saint:

Well clearly Morozov knows nothing about skating....Its immature thinking that somehow three falls is a bad performance.

Tinami Amori
11-26-2010, 09:38 PM
The I/P system is not entirely consistent: the Russian counterpart to "Fujisawa" would be "Fudzisava" instead of "Hudzisava" as is expected were a system based entirely on phonology.

:summer:
Japanese man's name: To-kanava To-ki-yama
Japanese woman's name: Ato-mu-lee Ya-da-la
Japanese child's name: Hochu-piseu Hochu-kaki
:P

Oh, please do “Beijing” and “Peking” explanation too……… :D

Guess he's never heard of the gymnast Hiroyuki Tomita. That man is :swoon:

He is not talking about “every Japanese man”. He is talking about current group of top Japanese male skaters, he has worked with or familiar with.

Just to give another option on translations of this issue……

Tanya’s translation (nothing is wrong with it).

Another reason it's hard working with the Japanese male skaters is because they lack any special physical appearance. When the skater is really good looking it doesn't matter what he does - it will look good even if the programme is changed every day.
Russian text

Работать с японскими мальчиками тяжело еще и потому, что они редко отличаются какими-то выдающимися внешними данными. Когда спортсмен красив, ему что ни поставь - все хорошо смотрится. Хоть каждый день программы меняй. .
Alternative translation

Working with Japanese boys (today’s group of male single skaters, not Japanese men in general) is also difficult because they rarely stand out for their striking physical features/ beauty/handsomeness. When an athlete is beautiful/handsome, no matter what you create for him, even a brand-new programme every day, it will still over-all look harmonious.

Morozov is referring to a classic Russian proverb:
Молодцу – все к лицу. Molodtzoo – vse k litzoo.

Meaning: On a Handsome everything is “handsome”.

marbri
11-26-2010, 09:43 PM
I donīt really see any difference between what Tahbka wrote and what you wrote. You both have him saying the same thing.

IceAlisa
11-26-2010, 09:54 PM
I donīt really see any difference between what Tahbka wrote and what you wrote. You both have him saying the same thing.

Here we go again. :shuffle: I know you don't mean anything by this, I was just reminded of something.

marbri
11-26-2010, 09:57 PM
:huh:

IceAlisa
11-26-2010, 09:59 PM
:huh:

Just referring to a recently deceased thread where accuracy of several versions of translation was "debated". Look at your rep for more info.

marbri
11-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Oh well, not sure what thread that is but I'm not interested in debating. Just made a comment that they seem to be saying the same thing.

But if it's going to spark a debate I'll just put out now I'm not interested in playing :D

eta...Ok, see now what you were talking about ;)

IceAlisa
11-26-2010, 10:02 PM
I happen to agree with you, marbri. :)

Could someone verify that the "Michael Jackson" LP or whatever its title may be, is the one Morozov is referring to? If so, what do you think of it (I personally don't think it's original). Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Moka-Ananas
11-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah, Morozov is very outspoken and a douchebag...BUT he's still one of the most successful coaches/choreographers right now and I have to give him credit for that.

marbri
11-26-2010, 10:05 PM
It has to be that one which just confirms, imo, that the man has completely lost his senses. :rofl:

IceAlisa
11-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah, Morozov is very outspoken and a douchebag...BUT he's still one of the most successful coaches/choreographers right now and I have to give him credit for that.

Totally. Not all talented people are :saint:. Usually it's the other way around. :EVILLE:

It has to be that one which just confirms, imo, that the man has completely lost his senses. :rofl: Oh dear. It IS the one.

kwanfan1818
11-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Morozov has crap taste in men, IMO.

Plus he can't hold a candle in :swoon:worthiness to Mr. Sato.