PDA

View Full Version : Horrible family moments Thanksgiving venting thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Quintuple
11-25-2010, 11:04 PM
OK, yes yes, Happy Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for a lot, etc. etc.

... but how many of you are sneaking away to FSU because you can't stand interacting with your family??!

Vent here!

I'm 20 minutes in, and already my sister is an incoherent, snorting, stomping, infuriating idiot because she can't form a damn sentence and gets frustrated at ME for not reading her mind. I swear she must swallow a bottle of barbituates every morning.

My brother brought his Swedish internet girlfriend over, and I just took her aside and said, "I apologize in advance for any frustration you may witness or experience due to our dysfunctional family. But hey, you can be a tourist and just sit back and be amused!"

Can't wait for the screaming match dinner will be.

PrincessLeppard
11-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Mine is so far okay. My gripe would be that we are waiting on perpetually late relatives. Apparently, there is no pie until they arrive. If they do not arrive soon, I can not be held responsible for my actions.

taf2002
11-26-2010, 12:43 AM
I am in a house with NO leftovers. (We ate at my sister's.) I am about to go get some McDonald's McRib sandwiches.

Kelleys6th
11-26-2010, 01:45 AM
I'm so happy my sister-in-law's niece didn't show!
She's been on a drug bindge for at least 6 months. She's got 2 children who are being taken care of by their "dry drunk" grandmother (sister-in-law's sister.) They are currently being investigated with CPS, but grandma keeps enabling.
Such family disfunction reminds me that my family isn't as dysfunctional as I thought!

:cat:

smurfy
11-26-2010, 01:56 AM
I went to a friends house for dinner, and it was various friends with very few relatives. I highly recommend it - no drama!

UMBS Go Blue
11-26-2010, 02:00 AM
I am in a house with NO leftovers. (We ate at my sister's.) I am about to go get some McDonald's McRib sandwiches.I am so disappointed, knowing you're from Texas, where there are so many better places to get ribs and BBQ, even on Thanksgiving, no? :P

iloveemoticons
11-26-2010, 03:01 AM
I went to a friends house for dinner, and it was various friends with very few relatives. I highly recommend it - no drama!

Yup, same situation. No family drama, but the host was on a health kick, so we had a celery salad and a stir fry dish for the meal. At least no Tofurkey though, so I'm thankful for that!

Nomad
11-26-2010, 03:12 AM
We had drama. The nieces got into a knock-down drag-out over a pair of shoes, resulting in the younger one spraining her hand.

Rex
11-26-2010, 03:40 AM

Same here. Had dinner as planned with ex-bf and friends. All-male, all-gay, lots of bawdy coffee tawk and gossip. Even got me a free pie. Totally made up for the challenge of serving dinner to drunk homeless people.

professordeb
11-26-2010, 03:51 AM
WOW, seems like I missed some fun! Happy Thanksgiving to you all in spite of how badly your dinner may have went.

taf2002
11-26-2010, 04:04 AM
I am so disappointed, knowing you're from Texas, where there are so many better places to get ribs and BBQ, even on Thanksgiving, no? :P

Unforturnately no. Besides the fact that McDonald's wasn't open, I couldn't find any other place open for business. So I got out in the cold for nothing. We ended up cooking a frozen pizza.

Mine is so far okay. My gripe would be that we are waiting on perpetually late relatives. Apparently, there is no pie until they arrive. If they do not arrive soon, I can not be held responsible for my actions.

That is just wrong, withholding pie from the people who got there on time. Hope your day improved.

Satellitegirl
11-26-2010, 04:13 AM
My Dad was drunk today(nothing new...he's an alcoholic) and thought the regular potatoes were sweet potatoes, then he got confused while dishing up corn, and put it into the potatoes instead of on his plate. And of course he gets huffy when we say something to him. I just wanted to strangle him. He eventually went in the living room, passed out, and the rest of us enjoyed the evening.

genevieve
11-26-2010, 07:41 AM
That is just wrong, withholding pie from the people who got there on time. Hope your day improved.
Um...I think you meant to quote PrincessLep. I haven't posted in this thread! (because I have a rule that I don't spend T-giving or Xmas with relatives - therefor no family drama! :) )

Rex
11-26-2010, 12:26 PM
My Dad was drunk today(nothing new...he's an alcoholic) and thought the regular potatoes were sweet potatoes, then he got confused while dishing up corn, and put it into the potatoes instead of on his plate. And of course he gets huffy when we say something to him. I just wanted to strangle him. He eventually went in the living room, passed out, and the rest of us enjoyed the evening.

That is sad. But it sounds like you and the rest of your family managed to enjoy it regardless.

Schmeck
11-26-2010, 02:10 PM

(((Satellitegirl))) You just described many a Thanksgiving at my house growing up.

This was the first Thanskgiving without my Dad, sad but peaceful too. Missed him, but didn't have to hold my tongue while he abused his diabetic body and stressed heart by eating too much fat and sugar, then watch him go out on the deck to smoke. Rest in peace, Dad.